Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - Update OOTP 19.8 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

Perfect Team is LIVE!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #1
geoffmatt17
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 87x in 48 posts
SP / RP Changes Automatically

Why all of a sudden do my pitchers change their primary listed position automatically from a SP to a RP or vice versa each time I drag / drop them to and from the rotation or bullpen?

This creates quite a headache as I try to manage more SP prospects than have room in rotations in my minors. Creates many extra clicks to remember who I was targeting as a SP vs just a RP with high stamina.
PBF - Port Moresby Wigmen
SABR - Tampa Bay Rays
XFBL - New York Mets
WBL - San Cristobal Tiburones
NIZE - Milwaukee Brewers

geoffmatt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:53 PM   #2
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,775x in 892 posts
All pitchers who are not in the rotation are automatically turned into relievers. Why? I dunno. It has ever been thus.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
geoffmatt17
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 87x in 48 posts
To the best of my knowledge, the game has never automatically changed a pitcher from SP to RP or vice versa, no matter their assignment.
SABR - Tampa Bay Rays
XFBL - New York Mets
NIZE - Milwaukee Brewers

Old 11-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #4
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2,894x in 1,328 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
All pitchers who are not in the rotation are automatically turned into relievers. Why? I dunno. It has ever been thus.
I actually have not found this to be true, but in my opinion it probably should be. The reason being, a pitcher's SP/RP designation affects their rest status. If there are two pitchers with identical stamina, one designated a SP and one designated a RP, the SP will be able to go deeper into a game, while the RP will be able to recover from fatigue faster and pitch on less rest.

You can test this for yourself. Find a RP who's thrown ~50 pitches yesterday. Depending on his stamina, he'll probably either be Tired or Slightly Tired. Then switch his position to SP and watch him (again, depending on his stamina) likely become Exhausted. An example (from OOTP18, but the function still applies) is attached.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by Fyrestorm3; 11-09-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:24 PM   #5
geoffmatt17
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 87x in 48 posts
I agree, I've looked into those variances too. But I really don't want the game to automatically do this for me.
SABR - Tampa Bay Rays
XFBL - New York Mets
NIZE - Milwaukee Brewers

Old 11-09-2018, 05:45 PM   #6
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffmatt17 View Post
I agree, I've looked into those variances too. But I really don't want the game to automatically do this for me.
Sorry, realized I didn't actually address your question.

What are your control settings? Do you have the AI setting your lineups? Because that will cause the game to override whatever positions you set players at unless you Force Start them.

EDIT: Although that would only change their positions every time you advance the day, not when you're fiddling with your lineup. I haven't seen this myself; I'll check on it when I get home tonight.

Last edited by Fyrestorm3; 11-09-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #7
geoffmatt17
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 87x in 48 posts
Full control. If you drag a RP into a vacant SP spot, he automatically becomes a SP. If you drag a RP over a current SP, the RP becomes a SP and the SP becomes and RP. I really don't want any of that automation.
SABR - Tampa Bay Rays
XFBL - New York Mets
NIZE - Milwaukee Brewers

Old 11-09-2018, 05:56 PM   #8
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,552x in 1,260 posts
you can force a SP role... if there are 6, it retains that SP designation even if used as an RP in depth chart.

it's inconsequential as far as on field play. they will be SP/RP regardless of their designated position based on how they are used... start the game and they act as an SP -- the stuff and stamina related differences. enter as an RP and they are used as an RP regardless of designated position.

i micro manage minors, nowadays. i use the player lists with show minors then position filter to SP... befor ethat imake sure to go through and change any RP with 3 pitches and stamina to SP...

it is a pain for sure. locking them isn't a solution for my context, becasue then the wrong locked "6th" sp on that team may be relaged to RP and i prefer another to be the one left out as RP.

i let mil mangers control depth chart to save a bit of needless work... 99% of mil success is simply putting the players in best level. but, since mil mangers set depth chart, they also re-set the postions of pitchers accordingly. so, every year i have to reset the RP->SP guys before promotions/demotions of filler mil players.

Last edited by NoOne; 11-09-2018 at 05:58 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #9
geoffmatt17
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 87x in 48 posts
Micro managing minors is where this gets really hairy. Most pitchers enter through the ammy draft as a SP. So a team with a couple of rookie ball teams could have 20 SPs down there alone, easily, not all with a rotation spot, but as you start moving guys up and down in your org, it will become impossible to differentiate between a 2 pitch reliever who happens to have high stamina, or a starter that the game automatically relabeled for me.
SABR - Tampa Bay Rays
XFBL - New York Mets
NIZE - Milwaukee Brewers

Old 11-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #10
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
it's inconsequential as far as on field play. they will be SP/RP regardless of their designated position based on how they are used... start the game and they act as an SP -- the stuff and stamina related differences. enter as an RP and they are used as an RP regardless of designated position.
This isn't how it's worked, in my experience. Full disclaimer, I haven't paid much attention to it since ~OOTP16, so it could have changed. But I know for a fact that a RP being used as a starter (without changing his position) would only be able to last around 60-70 pitches or so, depending on stamina. Just like you'd expect if they came in in relief.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:10 PM   #11
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,552x in 1,260 posts
it is possible, i do it each year. takes about 10-15minutes to do the entire MiL system -- filler and propsects on my shortlists.

filter for all relief pitchers... click down through profiles until you see 3 bars or more for pitches (don't even have to read, click 1s glance, click etc) and double check stamina to be above whatever threshold you prefer when you do find a third or more pitch visible --> in available actions change positon to SP, then continue down the list (don't leave profile, it slows you down).

that takes a minute to reset any RP that can be SP... just don't advance a day... do what you intend to do first. after that the 6th+ sp at any level will revert once you advance a day and the AI does its thing, but it doenst' matter at that point as you have your mil system set up as you want.

the ones you care about should be forced to be SP. they will always take precedent over other SP on roster -- even if your scout has them rated higher. otherwise, the rating will dictate (depends on setting for MiLs -- base depth charts of current or potential? that will dictate whehther the mil manager is using current or potential ratings to decide)

i do this jan 1st when the service time updates etc.. i mov ethe filler based on level restrictions and secondly need. (2 step process). before i do that my 'important' prospects are set first before anything. this order eliminates redundant work. real prospects, requirements based on rules, then need.

after the first year you are only moving 10-15 players per level and you only have to 'fix' a few RP. the maintenance is far easier than the first time doing it.

after initial setup, teh only players i care to move in season are the real prospects... if i need to, i'll shift the filler around to fill gaps of real prospects moving from one level to the next. the rest merely stays there for at least a year, regardless.

Last edited by NoOne; 11-09-2018 at 06:15 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:35 PM   #12
Dark Horse
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 356x in 239 posts
i welcomed this change. This sounds like something that needs to be put into options.

As a dynasty player in god mode. The old way of not automatically changing the position based on role led to goofy league news/headline. (And in a dynasty setting, i pay attention to league news.) You get headlines like RP Wins Pitcher of the Month. Now, that captures my attention, for a RP to win Pitcher of the Month, he'd have to go an entire month without giving up a run. Instead, you have a starter who was originally a relief pitcher. The new story talks about how pitcher made no relief appearance and had no saves and pitched 50 innings with 3.05 ERA.
In online leagues i keep seven starters (6 in rotation and the 7th is my long reliever/emergency starter) in my lowest minor league levels. So it doesn't effect me there either.

Hopefully, either an option box in Game Settings or maybe a box can be added under Roster Strategy Settings. Something that says don't change a pitcher's position to match their role.

LBA Geo Bahn Rock Hounds

fan of the ISLANDIAN PRO ALLIANCE
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
Fyrestorm3 (11-10-2018), gemini615 (11-09-2018)