Home | Webstore
Latest News: Update OOTP 19.7 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now - FHM 4 Available

MLB All-Star Game Special - Save 50% on OOTP and 60% on MLB Manager!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > FHM 4 - Dynasty Reports

FHM 4 - Dynasty Reports Talk about your FHM dynasties here!

Old 07-03-2018, 10:15 AM   #461
George_Bell
All Star Starter

Thanked 910x in 580 posts
1972-73 NHL Regular Season

Atlanta visited the Islanders for both teams first ever games. Neither teams will have any real shot at making the playoffs this year. Atlanta lost their first round pick, Steve Shut to the WHA, so going forward, the priority for these guys is to get their draft picks signed!!

BTW, I forgot to mention the Islanders will play in the East division while Atlanta goes out West. That makes 8 teams in each division now. We are a long ways away from the original 6!

I probably won’t update the WHA too much, and I sure won’t be posting stat leaders and standings like I do for the NHL. As the season is being played, I don’t find myself too interested in the league, mostly because the talent level isn’t close to the NHL. Bucyk is the only, established star to leave the NHL, and most of the other talent in the league are rookies. Right now, Winnipeg is the class of the WHA, with a 25-1-2 record. They are led by George Ferguson, a 20 year old picked by Pittsburgh in the 2nd round of the NHL draft this year. Ferguson has 40 points so far.

Ferguson is enjoying the WHA!

The New York Rangers look like the team to beat in the NHL this year. The Leafs, still very good, aren’t on their 120 point pace this year, while the Rangers are leading the league by 10 points. Bernie Parent, after a spectacular playoff, has developed into a 5 star goalie. Bobby Orr is finally healthy, and on pace for more then a point per game. 28 year old Bill Goldsworthy leads the league in goals, and already has a career high there. This Ranger team is deep, and healthy!

Goldsworthy is having a career year!

Rick Martin, the 8th pick in the draft, goes to Montreal!

Martin had a great real life career, which is why I noticed this deal. After being picked 8th overall, Martin made the Canucks out of training camp, and played 36 games with them. He has yet to register a point. Playing just 5 minutes a game on the 4th line, maybe the youngster should have spent some time in the minors. Martin still has his 3 star potential. He needs to get stronger and smarter. Something that only happens with time. He’s got a great shot though. The Canucks really screwed up, and the Canadiens will probably develop Martin right. Montreal gave up two minor leaguers for him.

Martin to Montreal!

With a slow news season, lets take a look at the top point scorers in NHL history. We haven’t looked at this for a while…

Looking at that list, Bob Nevin pops out to me. I know he's had a good career, and been very consistent, but i didn't realize he was doing that good! Nevin is currently the Captain of the North Stars, and is their all time leading scorer, though this is only his third season there...

Nevin has had a HOF career!

Final Standings

The Rangers had their best season ever. Bernie Parent, and Stan Mikita had great years. Bobby Orr only missed 3 games. Bill Goldsworthy challenged the goal scoring record! Can they win their first cup in decades?!

In the WHA, the Jets lost just 7 times, while the Minnesota Fighting Saints won just 7 times. Winnipeg had 31 more points then the leagues 2nd best team!

Bill Goldsworthy figured it all out this season. After scoring 30 goals just once in his first seven seasons, he exploded for 53 this year, which is the 2nd best goal scoring total ever!

Bernie Parent set the NHL single season wins record, notching one more then Terry Sawchuk won in 1968.

Stan Mikita’s 117 points is the third highest total ever. Again, what a season for the Rangers!

Rick Martin got into 24 games with the Habs, getting his first goal, and 2 assists. If teams are gonna develop him on the 4th line, which Montreal is also doing, he might not come close to the player he was in real life.

The leading WHA scorer is Winnpeg’s Al MacAdam, who had 52 goals, and 120 points. MacAdam is a 21 year old who was drafted 18th by Atlanta. The Flames lost both their first two draft picks to the WHL. The other Flames pick lost, Steve Shutt, had 77 points with the Whalers. Johnny Bucyk had 101 points despite falling to a 3.5 star player.

Last edited by George_Bell; 07-04-2018 at 09:23 AM.
George_Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:02 AM   #462
George_Bell
All Star Starter

1973 NHL Playoffs

1st Round
East Division

The Rangers take care of Boston in 5, while Toronto meets Montreal for the third straight year, with Toronto taking the series for the third straight year.

West Division

Pittsburgh with the major upset of Chicago, while Philadelphia has an easy time with the Blues!

Semi Finals

Either I missed something or the game has it wrong. The eastís top seed, NY, should be playing the westís lowest seed Pittsburgh, but instead, the game has them playing Philly, who finished 2nd. 4th place Pittsburgh gets the LeafsÖ.

E1 New York vs W2 Philadelphia

Stan Mikita had a goal and 2 assists, while Bobby Orr and Pete Mahovlich also score. The Flyers could get just one past Bernie Parent. Rangers win the opener 4-1! Gerry Desjardins leads the Flyers response in game two. Inge Hammarstrom gets 2 points, and Jude Drouin got his 5th goal of the playoffs. Flyers tie the series with a 3-0 win!

Hammarstrom is game 2's first star!

Jude Drouin and Bobby Orr exchange goals a minute apart, which sees game three tied after a period. After Wayne Cashman gives the Rangers the lead, Jude Drouin scores twice before the 2nd period ends. Drouin has the hat trick and the Flyers have the lead. Desjardins shuts the door in the third. Philly wins 3-2, and lead the series. Bill Goldsworthy scores just his 2nd playoff goal to open the scoring, but the Flyers respond quickly, and exit the period with a 2-1 lead. Nick Libbet manages to tie game four at 2, and force overtime! In overtime, it takes 2 minutes for Jim Johnson to put the winning goal in the net. 3-2 Flyers win. They lead the series 3-1.

Drouin with a hat trick in game three!

Facing elimination, the best regular season team in Rangers history finally looked like it. Bernie Parent stopped 26 shots. Stan Mikita had four assists. The Rangers avoid disaster with a 6-1 win. As much as a blowout game five was, game six is worse. New York dominates again. They outshoot the Flyers 49-10. Syl Apps Jr scores twice, and Bobby Orr adds another. The Flyers were never in it. 4-0 Rangers. Game seven coming upÖ

Parent allows one goal in games 5 and 6!

Game 7

After facing elimination, the Rangers have brought a game the Flyers canít handle. If they play their best, they wonít be beat today. Bill Goldsworthy opens the scoring, getting his 4th of the postseason. 1-0 New York. Stan Mikita makes it 2-0, and its starting to look like the good Rangers team has shown up.

Mikita gives the Rangers a 2 goal lead.

Late in the 2nd period, the Flyers manage to get their 5th shot on goal. Amazing defense from the Rangers, but that shot happens to beat Bernie Parent. Buster Harvey makes it a 2-1 game. Itís a one goal game heading into the third period!

Harvey cuts the New York lead in half!

Halfway through the third, the Rangers are still dominating defensively. Having now allowed just 9 shots, get a third goal from Stan Mikita. A two goal lead looks like a mountain for the Flyers! Mikita would add one more to complete the hattrick! Philly gets just 12 shots, and total 22 over the final two games. Rangers win 4-1 to win the series!

E2 Toronto vs W4 Pittsburgh

Norm Ferguson scores twice in the first to give the Leafs an early lead. When a player like Ferguson is scoring for the Leafs, you know your in trouble. JP Parise would add a short handed goal later on, and the Leafs win game one, 5-2. There is no scoring in the first two periods of game two. Frank Mahovlich gets the games first goal 1:34 into the final frame. Pittsburghís Neil Nicholson ties it a minute later. 3 minutes after that, Don Marcotte gives Toronto the lead back, and that was all the scoring. 2-1 Leafs win.

Ferguson gets the series started right for Toronto.

Bobby Hull gets his third, followed by Frank Mahovlichís 2nd. Itís 3-0 after a period. Pittsburgh manages just 14 shots on goal, and Gary Smith stopped them all. 3-0 win for Toronto. Facing a sweep in game four, the Pens fought hard. They end up trailing 1-0 going into the third, when they run out of gas. Toronto puts them away in the final period with three straight goals. Gary Smith earns his 2nd straight shut out. 4-0 Toronto wins it to sweep the series!

Old 07-04-2018, 10:05 AM   #463
George_Bell
All Star Starter

A rematch of the 1971 Stanley Cup, this time the Rangers are the team who are probably considered the favourite, atleast on paper. They had the better regular season, and had better performances from their stars. NY struggled against the Flyers though, while the Leafs are the 2 time defending champs, and are 8-1 in the post season. I think we got the 2 best teams in the league playing, and will be seeing a full on 7 game series!
Old 07-05-2018, 09:44 AM   #464
George_Bell
All Star Starter

The Rangers are hot right now, winning 3 straight against Philly, and they keep it going against Toronto. Despite falling behind just 24 seconds into the game, Bobby Orr would tie it, and a 3 spot in the 2nd gave New York a insurmountable lead. 5-2 New York wins game one! Jean Ratelle and Bobby Hull get a goal apiece in the first two periods of game two. New York ties it early in the third on Stan Mikitaís 8th of the playoffs. Jean Ratelle would grab the lead back for Toronto, and Frank Mahovlich got an insurance marker. Toronto wins game two by a score of 5-2.

Ratelle has a pair of goals in game two.

Terry OíReilly gave New York a lead they would hold until the final seconds of game three. Garry Unger is able to play hero with 68 seconds remaining, forcing overtime. In OT, Guy Charron took a pass from Bil White, and rattled a quick shot off the post and in! Toronto steals game three, 2-1! Toronto and New York would exchange goals in the first and second periods. of game four. Tied at 2 in the third, the Leafs turned it on, doubling the Ranges in shots, 18-9, but Bernie Parent kept the door shut, forcing an OT for the second straight game. In the final minute of the first overtime, Toronto registered their 55th shot of the game. It would be their last, as that point shot, from Barry Long, eluded Bernie Parent. 3-2 Leafs win!

Charron and Long both score overtime goals for the Leafs!

The Rangers came out motivated on home ice. Barclay Plager scored twice, Nick Libbet and Pete Mahovlich added one each, and it was 4-0 after a period. This one is over. Toronto manages two goals, but the Rangers cruise to the 5-2 win. Game 6 almost certainly will be a tougher game for New York. Itís evident from the start that the Leafs are ready in front of the home crowd. Jim Dorey gets 2 goals in the first 10 minutes, and they outshoot the Rangers 17-6. The lead is extended to 5-0 after two periods, and all thatís left to do is celebrate. Toronto wins 6-0, to take the series in six, and win their 3rd straight Stanley Cup!

Old 07-05-2018, 09:46 AM   #465
George_Bell
All Star Starter

Old 07-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #466
George_Bell
All Star Starter

1973 NHL Offseason News and Notes

The first Avco Cup final was played, which is the championship series for the WHA. Here is what happened...

I forgot to take screenshot of all the stats leaders this year. No playoff, skating or goalie leaders. I'm very annoyed at myself. Here are the award winners.

Stan Mikita wins his 6th Hart Trophy, putting him one behind the ageless Gordie Howe. Mikitaís teammate, Bobby Orr, finally played a full season, and was rewarded with the Pilote Trophy!

Long time Boston Bruins forward Norm Ullman has retired. He never got much press (Iím the press!), but heís the 2nd all time scorer in Bruins history, and third in goals with 304. The Bruins have decided to honour Ullman by putting his #7 in the rafters of Boston Garden.

Detroit trades a first round pick for a goalie.

Detroit trades the ninth overall pick in this years draft to California for goalie Russ Gillow. The Seals had the worst record in the league, so picking up another 1st rounder is smart. Great move for them. Detroit gets 32 year old Gillow. This is questionable in my eyes. You see, Gillow is 32 years old, as i said, and has played just one NHL game. That game occurred 3 years ago. Gillow isnít exactly the kind of player you would think has much value. Then againÖhere we are. Gillow will battle for the backup job. I guess thatís worth a 1st round pickÖÖ(SARCASM!!)

32 year old AHL lifers are worth 1st round picks!!

With the top pick in the amateur draft, the Golden Seals finally pick up a franchise player. Yes, I say that like they are easy to find, and California has just been lazy. Obviously, franchise players are very difficult to find. Regardless, Denis Potvin is one. Iím betting he develops into a full on 5/5 players within two years. Heís fantastic right out of the gate.

Bob Gainey to St. Louis, Ian Turnbull to Buffalo and Toronto getting Blair MacDonald all look like great picks. I also think that Lanny McDonald going to Minnesota is awesome. Lanny and Darryl Sitler had a bit of chemistry in real life! Here's a look at the draft results.

Claude Provost has been inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. The long time Canadien was part of the Montreal core that dominated hockey through the 50ís and 60ís. His 143 playoff games are 4th all time.

While Denis Potvin signed with California, Lanny McDonald joined the WHAís Chicago Cougars. Heís joined by Rick Middleton, Ian Turnball, Ron Greschner, Bob Gainey, and Blair MacDonald. Thatís a large amount of young talent entering the rival league. The NHL might actually have a problem on their handsÖ

These two won't be playing together this year.

The NHL introduced a new award for the coming season. The Jack Adams trophy will be given to the coach of the year. Teams have been hiring and firing coaches forever in this game. The coaches and GMís are game generated though, and I havenít mentioned them once. While I believe coaching is important, I will continue to ignore them in my game. Who wants to hear about a bunch of made up names anyway. So this award will be ignored.

No NHL changed logos or uniforms this year, but the WHA saw a few changes..

Old 07-07-2018, 10:44 AM   #467
George_Bell
All Star Starter

1973-74 NHL Season Preview

Player Spotlight

Bobby Orr just won the Pilote Trophy for the first time. He's had some bad injury issues, and missed alot of games over the first few years of his career. It's pretty clear hes a ppg player when healthy. Lets take a look at his ratings as he enters his prime.

Orr's teammate Bernie Parent is probably the best goalie in the NHL. I'm still amazed at his playoff run a few years ago before establishing himself as a star. 6 shutouts. The Rangers lost if he allowed a goal! Here's a look at Bernie Parent.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:24 AM   #468
George_Bell
All Star Starter

1973-74 NHL Regular Season

If October is any indicator, then the playoffs might look a little different this year. The Buffalo Sabres have hockeyís best record, led by 29 year old journeyman Ron Schock, whose having the best start to a season of his life. Schock has 16 points in 10 games so far. Just behind the Sabres in the standings are the Kings, the Canucks and the North Stars. Toronto, Chicago, Montreal and the Rangers are all struggling, but itís earlyÖ..Iíll let you know when itís not early!

Schock has the Sabres off to their best start!

This is Bobby Orrís 8th NHL season. The 25 year old has hit the 70 game mark just 3 times. He had a career high 76 points last year, when he won the Pilote Trophy. Injuries, and I suppose development have kept him from having anything close to his real life career upto this point, but Orr is now experiencing a true breakout season, one that could distinguish him from the pack. Through 23 games, Orr has 32 points, a pace that would shatter the single season points by a defenseman. That record is ofcourse, 76 points, owned by Orr. Iím wondering if he can break 100?!

Orr set a record this year, and i suggested he could have a true breakout season still....

The 2nd year Atlanta Flames currently are missing three of their highest draft picks. Steve Shutt, Al MacAdam and this years top pick, Rick Middleton all decided to sign with WHA teams. This season, those 3 players have combined to score 45 goals, 69 assists, 114 points in 63 games. Atlanta is 7-10-5 through November. Imagine if these guys were playing in the NHLÖ..

Shutt is dominating in the WHA, instead of leading Atlanta in the NHL.

After a good start to his NHL career, Denis Potvinís season might be over before Christmas. Despite the fact Potvin has just 6 points, heís put up a 68 game rating, which is really good, playing a large role on the Seals blue line. Potvin fractured his elbow, and will need 3-4 months to heal. Tough break for the top draft pick.

Potvin was doing a great job before the injury!

Midseason sees the Maple Leafs and the Blackhawks back in playoff positions, but the Habs are fighting for last place. Boston looks out of it, while the Rangers are in a dogfight for 4th place. The expansion class may have finally caught up to the original 6. Amazingly, in their 3rd season, the Sabres currently have the best record in the NHL! Ron Schock just set a career high for points, and heís only played 49 games so far!

Schock continues his breakout season!

The Leafs went on a run, not only to erase a tough start, but have taken over first place overall. The Leafs saw themselves in 6th place in the east a month in, but now, with just 3 losses since new years, lead the league with a 37-16-8 record. The big surprise for Toronto is the emergence of Norm Ferguson. In previous years, Ferguson scored 17, 16, 16, and 12 goals. Always a nice 3rd line player. After 54 games this season, Norm has 28 goals, and 27 assists. Both easily career highs. Did the Leafs just develop another high scoring option?!

Ferguson has already set career highs in everything!

Before the season comes to a close, itís time to look in on 46 year old, 5 star player Gordie Howe. Heís still playing 23 minutes a game, and is finishing up his 28th season as a Detroit Red Wing!! Amazing! Gordie has 31 goals and 35 assists entering April, missing just 2 games so far. Gordieís career totals are now 867 goals, 890 assists, in 1754 games! Howe actually just passed Jean Beliveau for most career assists, but Dave Keon is less then 150 behind Howe, and coming on strong!!

Howe keeps going!

Final Standings

We have had a bit of a historical season, and Im gonna tell you whyÖ.

First off, the Montreal Canadiens have missed the playoffs. Itís the first time the Habs havenít played in the postseason since 1951/52. That Montreal team struggled because of injuries to Dickie Moore, Wally Hergesheimer and George Armstrong! That was a long time ago!

2nd..In their 4th seasons, the Buffalo Sabres and the Vancouver Canucks both qualify for the playoffs for the first time! They are also the first expansion teams to get playoff births in the east division!

3rd.. for the first time ever, expansion teams, teams who joined after 1967 will outnumber the original 6 teams in the playoffs. 5 expansion teams have qualified!! This years playoffs should be wide open!!

Marcel Dionne scores 53 goals, which ties Bill Goldsworthy for the 2nd highest total in league history. Goldsworthy btw, followed up his monster 53 goal season, with 23 goals, which is much more inline with his career!

Buffalo finished with the third best record in hockey, and a lot of that credit falls on the shoulderís of breakout star Ron Schock. He finished with 102 points, 38 more then his previous career high. At 30, breakoutís like this are rare!

Bobby Orr played every game of the year for the first time. His pace slowed considerably from his start, but he still put up a career high 78 points. If his name wasnít Bobby Orr, id be saying many more amazing things about him. The real life Orr is blinding me to how good this Bobby Orr is. Heís clearly the best defenseman in hockey, and is dynamic offensive player aswell.

Atlanta Flames draft picks dominated the WHA. Steve Shutt leads the league with 52 goals, while Al MacAdam finished the season with 117 points! Lanny McDonald also has developed into a 5 star player in his first season. Talent is building in the WHA!
Old 07-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #469
George_Bell
All Star Starter

1974 NHL Playoffs

1st Round
East Division

Toronto gets by the the Canucks fairly easily, but it takes a full 7 games for the Rangers to defeat the upstart Buffalo Sabres!

West Division

The Penguins and the Blues both clinch their 6 game series wins with shutouts on the road!

Semi-Finals

E1 Toronto vs W2 St. Louis

The Leafs get 2nd period goals from Garry Unger, Murray Wilson and Peter McNab to shut out the Blues 3-0 in the series opener. 22 year old John Garrett, who started 45 regular season games, gets the shut out. Bob Plager gets the Blues first goal of the series in game two, and Hilliard Graves gives them a 2-0 lead after a period. The Leafs donít respond until Bobby Hull scores in the third, but thatís all Toronto can get. St. Louis evens the series with a 2-1 win.

John Garrett wins his first 5 playoff games!

St. Louis dominates the third game. They lead 2-0 after a period, and its 3-0 after two! Toronto doesnít get on the board until the final seconds of the game, and ofcourse itís too late at that point! 3-1 Blues win game three. St. Louis goalie Bob Champoux has had a excellent series, and is spectacular in game four! He makes 42 saves in a game that needed overtime. St. Louis though, couldnít find that winning goal. Instead, itís Torontoís Don Marcotte who gets the winner to tie the series. Leafs win 2-1.

Toronto's Marcotte is the overtime hero in game 4!

The Blues are looking like the real deal, as they jump out to a 2-1 lead. Jean Ratelle eventually ties it for Toronto late in the third period on the power play, which forces another overtime. Like game four, the hero is Don Marcotte, who scores overtime goals in back to back games. 3-2 Leafs win. Toronto finally grabs an early lead on goals from Bobby Hull and Ken Hodge. The Blues would tie it, then fall behind again. Orest Kindrachuk scores late in the third to tie the game again for St. Louis. For the third game in a row, we have overtime. Don Marcotte is not involved in the winning goal this time, but his teammate Garry Unger is. Unger converts a Bobby Hull pass to win it for the Leafs, 4-3. St. Louis gives Toronto all they could handle! Leafs win the series in 6!

W1 Pittsburgh vs E2 New York

Bobby Orr gets the series first goal, but that NY lead is short lived. Ken Baird and Garnet Bailey score for Pittsburgh just 103 seconds apart to grab the lead. Down 3-1 Stan Mikita would score late, but itís not enough to disappoint the home crowd. Pittsburgh wins 3-2. Game two is tied heading into the third. Stan Mikita and Ed Westfall would trade goals halfway through the frame. Overtime would be needed to settle this one. The hero is Stan Mikita. His 3rd of the series. Rangers win 3-2.

Mikita's OT goal evens the series!

Don Luce gets three assists in game three, while his linemate, Garnet Bailey scored twice. New York gets two goals from Bill Goldsworthy, but itís not enough. Luce is the first star in Pittsburgh's 5-3 win. The Rangers step up their defensive effort for game four. Bobby Orr gets a goal and an assists, while he helps hold the Pens to just 12 shots. New York evens the series with a 4-1 win!

Luce has 3 assists in the Pens game three win!

New York scores twice in 8 seconds late in the first period of game five. Bill Goldsworthy and Terry OíReilly probably make history(these types of records would be awesome for the game to track). The 2nd period is just as exciting. Four goals are scored in the first 5 minutes of the period. Pittsburgh would tie it up, but the Rangers grab the 2 goal lead right back. Nick Libett would score in the empty net to cap off the game. 5-2 Rangers. Game six is a tight affair. Errol Thompson and Bobby Orr score in the first, exchanging goals. After New York grabs a lead in the 2nd, Marcel Dionne ties it halfway through the third, converting a Bobby Clarke pass. Overtime is needed. Guy Lapointe is the hero, as he scores 12:48 into the 4th period. The New York Rangers win 3-2, and take the series in 6!

Old 07-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #470
George_Bell
All Star Starter

Toronto and New York meet in the Stanley Cup for the third time in four years. Toronto also will attempt to win their 4th straight Stanley Cup, something they have never done. The last team to accomplish this feat, was the New York Rangers, from 1946-49! Thatís actually the last time New York won a title! Itís hard to bet against this Leaf team, who have dominated the NHL for a fairly long time now. Bobby Orr is of course a difference maker. If he goes off, and Bernie Parent gets hot, then who knowsÖ
Old 07-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #471
George_Bell
All Star Starter

After falling behind 2-0 just five minutes in, it’s all Toronto. JP Parise gets 3 assists. Bobby Hull scores twice, and first star Jean Ratelle gets 3 points. Toronto flexes their star power with a 6-2 win. Game two is the exact opposite. Tied at one in the 2nd, Syl Apps, Bobby Orr and Al Hamilton score for New York in a 3 minute span. The Rangers add some insurance in the third, and take the second game, 6-2!

Hull gets playoff goals 68 and 69!

Game three features a tight first period for the third straight game. Tied at one in the 2nd, Bobby Hull and Murray Wilson score. Bill White and Peter McNab score early in the third, making it 5 straight goals for the Leafs. They win it 5-2. Game 4 had some dramatics. Down 2-1 in the final seconds of the game, New York’s Bobby Orr found a way to beat John Garrett to tie the game. The goal came with just 12 seconds remaining. Because of Orr, we need overtime. In OT, it’s another Bobby who is the hero. Bobby Hull gets his 11th, just 32 seconds in. 3-2 Maple Leafs win, they lead the series 3 games to 1!

Orr ties game four late, but still can't get NY the win!

After the Rangers grab the early lead in game 6, Bobby Hull scores twice to grab it back for Toronto. Guy Lapointe gets a goal in the final seconds of the 2nd period though to tie again heading into the third. The Leafs come out of intermission on a mission. Don Marcotte scores 9 seconds after the opening faceoff, then Peter McNab and Barry Long get goals. 6-3 Toronto wins. They win the series in five, and win their 4th straight Stanley Cup!!

Old 07-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #472
George_Bell
All Star Starter

Old 07-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #473
George_Bell
All Star Starter

1974 NHL Offseason News and Notes

Here are the results of the 2nd Avco cup final.

Here are the skating leaders for the season.

Here are the goalie leaders for the season.

Here are the Playoff leaders.

Leafs goalie John Garrett has grown into a 5 star goalie very quickly. He's looking the part of a potential star. He wins the rookie of the year!

The NHL has decided to expand again, bringing the league to a grand total of 18 teams! The Washington Capitals and the Kansas City Scouts have joined the league. Here is a look at their logo and uniforms, as well as other teams changing it up…..

With the new teams, the league has realigned.

The Adams and Patrick divisions make up the Wales Conference, whil the Norris and Smythe divisions make up the Campbell Conference. With new divisions, the league will also now play 80 games, and the playoff format has changed....

The 1974 expansion draft sees the two new teams pick 22 skaters and 2 goalies each. Each existing team can protect 15 players and 2 goalies. First year pro’s are exempt from the draft. Here are the results from the expansion draft.

The most experienced players selected include Doug Jarrett and Vic Hadfield. Jarrett played over 600 games in Montreal, while Hadfield is a season removed from hitting 70 points in Vancouver.

Glenn Chico Resch is the top pick in the expansion draft.

Right after the expansion draft, it was time for the NHL Amateur draft. To fight the WHA, the NHL lowered their minimum draft age to 19, while the WHA’s minimum draft age is 20. In theory, this will allow NHL teams to sign their prospects. I have no idea how it will play out though....

So despite the age minimum being 19, a few 18 year olds are drafted, including top pick Dennis Maruk. The Scouts take Gordie Howe’s son, Mark, who now has the opportunity to play D against his old man. A few players already belonging to WHA teams are picked, including Clark Gillies, who had 113 points for the Winnipeg Jets last year.

Terry Sawchuk and Tim Horton have been elected into the Hockey Hall of Fame. Terry Sawchuk is probably the greatest goalie of all time. His later years were the best goaltending performances we have ever seen. Tim Horton was instrumental with Toronto, Chicago and Boston. He provided offense, defense, toughness, and leadership.

The Leafs trade on of their franchise icons…

Frank Mahovlich goes to the NY Islanders, becoming the biggest name to suit up in Long Island so far. Frank is Toronto’s all time leading scorer, with a point shy of 1100. He also just hit the 500 goal mark last year, and is a sure fire HOFer. With that said, the Big M has been used on the third line more often then not the last 3 years, and is clearly not the big scorer he used to be. The Leafs ruthlessly cash in on a franchise icon to pick up 23 year old Bill Clement. Clement, a former Leaf who was selected in the expansion draft of 72, has developed into a very good offensive option. Clement hit 21 goals and 47 points last year, and put up a good game rating. He’s got the potential to get better. Really nice trade reloading with youth for Toronto

Frank Mahovlich to the Islanders

The WHA went over a few changes this summer. The League expanded by 2 teams. The Indianapolis Racers and the Phoenix Roadrunners will begin play this year. The New York Golden Blades, the defending champs, have moved to San Diego to become the Mariners. The LA Sharks also moved to Detroit to become the Michigan Stags!

Finally, team’s have been drafting European players the last few years, but almost none of them ever come over to play in the NHL. I don’t know if they eventually will. I don’t know if there is a date for them to come over, or what. The game doesn’t relay any information about this. I have decided to make an executive decision. Before each season, I will randomly select 2 teams and edit their top European player to their team. If they don’t have one, I will choose another team….

This season, Montreal will get the services of Czech defenseman Milan Chalupa. He’s a 21 year old selected 109th overall in 1973. Chalupa shows up 2nd on the Habs defenseman depth chart. Atlanta is the 2nd random team selected, but they don’t have any European prospects. Philadelphia is selected, which means 22 year old Soviet, Helmut Balderis is now a Flyer. Balderis is listed as the Flyers first line RW. He’s a 3.5 star player, drafted 7th overall by Philly back in 1972. Both players look like they will help their new clubs!

Last edited by George_Bell; 07-13-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:14 AM   #474
wwines
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 147x in 101 posts
Hey George, love this dynasty and read it daily. Either I missed a huge trade or your logos on the 1973-74 Awards are incorrect. Dionne is still on the Pens or is he now a King?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Thank you for this post:
George_Bell (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #475
George_Bell
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwines View Post
Hey George, love this dynasty and read it daily. Either I missed a huge trade or your logos on the 1973-74 Awards are incorrect. Dionne is still on the Pens or is he now a King?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Hahahaha, what an idiot. Yes, Dionne is still in Pittsburgh. I'm just stupid that i naturally put the Kings logo next to his name!!! Will correct. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #476
George_Bell
All Star Starter

1974-75 NHL Season Preview

Player Spotlight

First up, lets take a look at Lanny McDonald. Lanny was taken 2nd overall in the NHL draft by the North Stars, which would have paired him with Darryl Sittler. That would have been awesome, but Lanny went to the WHA instead, and in his first year with the Chicago Cougars, he scored 45 times, and added 57 assists. This year, he's developed into a 5 star player, and is one of the best players in the world. He's playing against players mostly 1.5 star calibre. I'm very interested to see the numbers Lanny puts up this year!

Billy Smith was drafted 5th overall by the Kings in 1970. He looked like a good prospect, but he's exploded, and is probably the best goalie in hockey today. The Kings don't have alot of talent around him. They are basically a one line team. Lafleur, Goring and Ftorek. The 24 year old Smith hasn't had alot of success because of that, but man, if they could add some secondary players, they sure do have the goaltending to do something!

Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM   #477
George_Bell
All Star Starter

1974-75 NHL Regular Season

The Scouts get beat by 4 time champs Toronto in their first game, while the Capitals get embarrassed by the Rangers!

There seems to be a little bit of a spike in scoring this year. 2 months in, Stan Mikita has 48 points in 21 games! Heís on a ridiculous pace, but Marcel Dionne has 39 and Gordie Howe, at age 46, has 22 assists in 21 games. Lets look at the where league wide scoring is in comparison to the last 10 years.

Well we are definitely seeing more goals then at any point in the last 10 years, but the rise isnít as big as I expected. Iím very surprised that in 1967/68, the first year of expansion, scoring fell almost half a goal!!

Soviet Helmut Balderis has adjusted to the NHL rather easily. Heís got 37 points in 36 games for the Flyers at new years. Heís found some nice chemistry playing with Jude Drouin, who is so up and down, he goes from franchise player, to franchise loser from year to year. This year, Drouin is on pace for his best season ever. Montrealís iron curtain defenseman, Milan Chalupa, has 14 points in 37 games, and is struggling with a 57 game rating so far. Heís playing 23 minutes a game, but maybe a bit over his head. He is just 21 years oldÖ.

Balderis has figured out North American hockey!

Gordie Howe is on pace for 100 points. Heís about to turn 47, and he has never hit 100 points before. With 35 games left, heís also 6 assists shy of his career high 45 assists. Could Gordieís 28th season be his best ever?!

The old man obviously still has it!

As we enter March, Stan Mikita breaks his own single season assist record, getting his 78th! His old record stood for 5 seasons. Mikita is on pace to easily beat his single season points record of 123. That could happen any game now.

Mikita on a record pace!

Back to Gordie though, as the immortal one scores his 900th goal!! Thatís amazing. Gordie Howe now has 314 more goals then Jean Beliveau, whose currently in 2nd place. Hereís the top 10 goal scorers in NHL history.

The Rangers have given up on Bill Goldsworthy.

Goldsworthy might be a one hit wonder. He was a nice 2nd/3rd line player for 6 years, hitting 30 goals once, but getting between 15 and 21 each year. Then 2 years ago, he went crazy. Goldsworthy scored 53 goals, one of the best seasons in NHL history. Last year he fell to 23, and this year, through 63 games, he had just 5. The Canucks are willing to give the 30 year old a chance, and see if he can capture that magic again. Jimmy Watson is a fairly talented young dman. Heís a nice return for a guy the Rangers clearly think is done.

Goldsworthy heads to Vancouver to resurrect his career!

Milan Chalupaís stay in Montreal is short!

The Habs trade the young defenseman who has struggled with the NHL game. They get a gifted scorer in Wilf Paiement. Paiement is very young and raw, but has the potential to make a offensive impact one day. Chalupa needs some time to grow, as despite his obvious skill, hasn't been good at all.

Chalupa didn't work in Montreal.

11 more trades take place at the trade deadline. Probably the busiest deadline ever. Nothing else worth mentioning though.

Stan Mikita got 3 assists on March 12th against the Islanders. Those were points 124, 125 and 126, which break his own single season points mark! MIkita at 34 is pretty much unstoppable. Hereís the list of the 10 highest single season scorers in NHL history!

Final Standings

With 12 teams qualifying for the playoffs, I figured there would be a playoff race somewhere. There wasnít. All races look like they were settled a long time ago. The bad teams were really bad.

Toronto sets an NHL record with 128 point in a single season. Itís one more then their 127 points set during a 76 game season in 1968/69. That Leaf team did not win the Stanley Cup! Since expansion, Torontoís record is 425-115-78. Thatís pretty amazing!

Stan Mikita ends up with 136 points, shattering is old record.

Marcel Dionne becomes the first player to score 50 goals twice!

Gordie Howe falls 5 points short of the 100 mark, but his 95 points is still a career high!

Bill Goldsworthy had 14 points in 18 games with the Canucks. A little bit of a resurgence from him. The Canucks look like they came out on top of this gamble.

Lanny McDonald is too good for the WHA. Itís not fair. The 22 year old scored 79 goals, and had 161 points. He wins the WHA scoring title by 43 points. Minnesota needs to find a way to get him in a North Star jersey!!
Old Today, 11:05 AM   #478
George_Bell
All Star Starter

1975 NHL Playoffs

Well as the playoffs start, the matchups in game is not even close to what the rules say they should be. OF the 12 teams to make the playoffs, the four division winners get a bye to the 2nd round. The other 8 teams are supposed to be seeded 1-8, and play highest vs lowest. The game hasnít done this. In game, each divisions 2nd place team plays that divisionís 3rd ranked team. Iím assuming the winner of that series gets that divisionís winner, which is also incorrect. Oh wellÖ.

1st Round
(Best of 3)

Two upsets in the first round. The 11 seed Penguins win two close games over Montreal, and Buffalo upsets the 6 seed Seals! So much for Californiaís best season ever!

2nd Round
(Best of 7)

The game has now decided to completely reseed the remaining teams. Divisionís no longer matter. Obviously a bug or the game isn't programed properly.

The Leafs give up 9 goals in their first playoff game, but come back to throttle the Penguins. The Flyers and Canucks look like they played a very entertaining series, and Chicago upsets Gordie Howe and the Red Wings.

Semi Finals
#1 Toronto vs #8 Chicago

The Leafs bring the defensive game out, which helps Gary Smith earn the 16 save shut out. Chicago played great defensively too, holding the Leafs to 2 goals plus an empty netter. 3-0 Toronto wins game one. Game two is pretty much the same story, with a tad more offense from Toronto. Don Marcotte gets a goal and an assist, while Jean Ratelle salted the game away with his 11th of the playoffs. Leafs win it 5-1.

Smith allows one goal in the first two games!

The Blackhawks gets the opening goal 66 seconds into game three. Cliff Koroll gets his third. The Leafs storm back. Bill White would assist on 3 straight first period goals for Toronto, then he would score in the third. 4 points for White in Torontoís 4-1 win. In game four, Barclay Plager gets his first playoff goal as a Leaf early. After the Blackhawks tie it, Don Marcotte and Carol Vadnais give the Leafs a lead they would never relinquish. 3-2 Toronto holds on to sweep the Blackhawks!

#2 New York vs #5 Philadelphia

Terry OíReilly scores the games first goal, giving the Rangers an early lead. New York won their division, and finished with more points then the Flyers, yet Philly has home ice advantage. The Rangers donít care, as Nick Libbetís 2nd playoff goal gives them a 3-0 lead. The Flyers get two 3rd period goals, but it aint enough. 3-2 Rangers. Inge Hammarstrom and Jocelyn Guevremont, two of the hardest names to spell, score for the Flyers. Ron Low, in net for Philly, allows just one Ranger goal the rest of the way, giving the Flyers the 2-1 win.

O'Reilly making an impact in New York.

The Flyers start game three on fire. Jude Drouin gets them on the board 38 seconds in. Ron Buchanan extends the lead to two, and Inge Hammarstrom adds what looks like the dagger late in the 2nd for a 3-0 lead. Philly then lets up. Syl Apps and Stan Mikita score quickly in the third, cutting the lead to one. Mikita scores again to tie it, and with 88 seconds left, Al Hamilton completes the comeback! 4-3 Rangers win! A wild first period starts game four. It took 8 minutes, but once Rich Leducís opening goal goes in, the floodgates opened wide. 7 different players score. I wonít even describe it, here is the scoring summery.

After all that, no one scored in the 2nd period. Stan Mikita would tie it early in the third. Late in the game, Hartland Monahan gives Philly what looks like the winning goal, only Pete Mahovlich was not ready for this one to end. He ties it for New York with 24 seconds remaining, forcing an overtime. In OT, hockeyís best player ends it. Stan Mikita wins it for New York. Another comeback! 6-5 Rangers.

Pete Mahovlich ties it game 4 late for New York!

The Flyers seem to have been mentally beaten after blowing the two previous games. The Rangers jump out to a 3-1 lead. Jude Drouin would get one back, but Nick Libett ends up earning 4 assists in New Yorkís 5-1 series clinching win! The Rangers are going back to the Cup finals!

Old Today, 11:07 AM   #479
George_Bell
All Star Starter

No team in NHL history has won 5 cups in a row. The Leafs try to be the first against a team they have defeated in this spot 3 times!! The Rangers have some NHL history on their side as well. Stan Mikita had a historic season, but I havenít mentioned Bobby Orr, who set a records with 35 goals and 93 points. The Rangers have the best two players in the series, and the better goaltending. Interestingly, both teams are sitting their 5 star goalies, John Garrett and Bernie Parent. The two Garyís both had good seasons but are both less talented then their ďbackupsĒ. Can the Rangers take down Toronto on their 4th try?