Home | Webstore
Latest News: Update OOTP 19.5 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now - FHM 4 Available

OOTP Baseball 19 is Available Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:06 AM   #1
clamel
All Star Reserve

Thanked 41x in 26 posts
Jordan Hicks pitch reportoire

Well, I've been asking this a lot over the years.
How much important are the different pitches thrown ?

Looking at the new speed-king Jordan Hicks I find out that he has a fastball, curve and change-up in the game
As I understand it he throws a massive slider IRL, which he doesn't in this game.

Even checking a list of the fastes pitches this year, shows him throw 4-seam, 2-seam and sinker.

Overall if the type of pitch (beside the fastball) isn't of any concern in this game everything is OK, but else some pitches do tend to induce certain results more often than not.

Should Hicks be listed with another rep. than what it is now ?
Or does it not matter ?

Fangraphs list him as fastball-sinker-slider only, so perhaps that should be the case.
clamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:16 AM   #2
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Thanked 7,344x in 3,720 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamel View Post
Well, I've been asking this a lot over the years.
How much important are the different pitches thrown ?

Looking at the new speed-king Jordan Hicks I find out that he has a fastball, curve and change-up in the game
As I understand it he throws a massive slider IRL, which he doesn't in this game.

Even checking a list of the fastes pitches this year, shows him throw 4-seam, 2-seam and sinker.

Overall if the type of pitch (beside the fastball) isn't of any concern in this game everything is OK, but else some pitches do tend to induce certain results more often than not.

Should Hicks be listed with another rep. than what it is now ?
Or does it not matter ?

Fangraphs list him as fastball-sinker-slider only, so perhaps that should be the case.
They type of pitch doesn't matter too much in game.

The one exception to that is the sinker. So it's important to note that a sinker in OOTP is intended ti be a classic worm killer type of true sinker, not so much a regular 2-seam fb, which is what sites like Fangraphs or Brooks often mean when they call a pitch a sinker.

So it's WAD that less pitchers have sinkers in OOTP than you might think from a casual review of their real-life repertoire.

Hicks fb isn't a true sinker imo more of a true 2 seamer that Fangraphs compared to Noah Syndergaard's fb, which we also don't classify as a sinker in OOTP.

As for the slider, I've changed that now since it does look like he's throwing a true slider more now than the kind of slurvy mix or a curve and slow slider he'd thrown in the minors.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Pre-order Out of the Park Baseball 19!

Buy Franchise Hockey Manager 4!

Found a bug? Have a technical issue? Please post here and/or file a support ticket here.

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
4 thanks for this post:
clamel (05-18-2018), Cryomaniac (05-18-2018), pgjocki (05-18-2018), Qeltar (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #3
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

The other thing to note with Hicks is that what he's throwing now as a RP is likely different than what he'd throw if he returns to starting. He'd likely add the curve back at a minimum. I don't want to artificially limit him to a RP only type in-game, so I'll keep his curve as well, but maybe eliminate or lower the change.

Found a bug? Have a technical issue? Please post here and/or file a support ticket here.

Thank you for this post:
Cryomaniac (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 12:12 PM   #4
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,040x in 696 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
The one exception to that is the sinker.
Knuckleballs too, right?

Not that that effects Hicks, but still.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 4,357x in 2,011 posts
Can I expect Hicks to have the same velocity as Chapman after the adjustments?

My Fictional Dynasty: Orcin's Story ; The Sequel: Orcin Returns ; The Conclusion: Orcin's Brave New World

FREE THE MINOR LEAGUE DATABASE!!
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Cryomaniac (Yesterday)
Old 05-18-2018, 01:34 PM   #6
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Thanked 7,681x in 2,947 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Knuckleballs too, right?

Knuckleball makes the most difference.

The other pitches do matter to a certain extent, especially when talking about platoon splits. So a guy who's a sinker/slider guy will tend to have a high GB rate, but also likely a high platoon split unless if he's a real over-the-top thrower, or also mixes in something else to get oppo hitters out (changeup, curve).
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
4 thanks for this post:
clamel (05-18-2018), Cryomaniac (05-18-2018), Lukas Berger (Yesterday), Syd Thrift (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:10 AM   #7
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Knuckleballs too, right?

Yes, of course, forgot that!

EDIT: I see Matt has it covered

Thank you for this post:
Cryomaniac (Yesterday)