Home | Webstore
Latest News: Update OOTP 19.8 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now - FHM 4 Available

OOTP Baseball 19 is Available Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:08 PM   #501
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2,799x in 1,708 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
My advice to all, avoid 1968 like the plague. I'm almost to July and can't wait to have this season in my rearview mirror.
You mean avoid using 1968 LTMs for your stats output like the plague amirite?
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:42 PM   #502
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 4,061x in 2,111 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
You mean avoid using 1968 LTMs for your stats output like the plague amirite?
Yeah playing the deadballish 1968 almost makes me want to fire up OOTP18 and see some of those 272 hit seasons...... Yeah, right. I shouldn't say deadballish though. I do have 2 or 3 guys sitting at 19 bombs going into July. Really hope the race tightens up as the season progresses. Right now Fort Worth is 8 games up on second place Birmingham. Birmingham, Texarkana and Mobile are all bunched up for second and third though, so the Wild Card races should be interesting.

Last edited by David Watts; 02-19-2018 at 05:49 PM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:47 PM   #503
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Thanked 511x in 405 posts
If you want to see lack lustre hitting and dominating pitching just finished 1909 in my current random debut offence is dismal but stats still are within limits. There have been no “hot” hitters or seasons yet....
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:00 PM   #504
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
If you want to see lack lustre hitting and dominating pitching just finished 1909 in my current random debut offence is dismal but stats still are within limits. There have been no “hot” hitters or seasons yet....
I would bet there have been "hot" hitters when you compare them against league average. They're easy to miss with our live ball eyes though.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:00 PM   #505
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What's your highest batting average so far? What's the record for most hits in a season?

I knew 68 was going to be this way, so It's not like I'm surprised.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:20 PM   #506
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What's your highest batting average so far? What's the record for most hits in a season?

I knew 68 was going to be this way, so It's not like I'm surprised.
I think I saw a .370 season by Lou Brock with 226 hits in there somewhere. Definitely not outrageous when you consider what Nap Lajoie and Honus Wagner got up to IRL back then.
Thank you for this post:
JaBurns (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 08:13 AM   #507
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

So far Ken Forsch is doing his best to imitate Bob Gibson's 1968 performance. Forsch is 15-4 with a 1.39 ERA, mid July. Unlike Gibson though, Ken is not whiffing a ton of batters. Will be interesting to see if he can keep this pace up for the entire season. Another pitcher having a really nice season is Matt Latos. Latos, has a sub 2 ERA for the Lake Charles Pirates. As of right now Lake Charles is in position to take the 2nd wild card slot. Still quite a ways to go, but if they can hold on, it will be their first ever trip to the post season.

Van Mungo won his 223 game making him the new career leader in wins. Mungo is 35, so it will be interesting to see if he can get to 250.

Tom Glavine is sitting at 199 wins.

Hank Aaron is set to pass Duke Snider for the career Home Run lead, while Jose Canseco is just shy of joining the 400 club.

I have 2 teams left out of 12 that have yet to win a championship. Biloxi and Lake Charles. As mentioned above Lake Charles has yet to even make the post season. Biloxi has done so twice.
2 thanks for this post:
actionjackson (02-21-2018), JaBurns (02-20-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #508
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Things are heating up now as we approach mid August. Fort Worth hit a rough patch and Mobile took advantage. Fort Worth's lead over Mobile is now just 2 games. Meanwhile, Texarkana and Lake Charles are separated by a 1/2 game in the race for the 2nd wild card slot.

The Cy Young race is going to be a tight one with 2 youngsters, Ken Forsch and Matt Latos battling a seasoned vet Van Mungo for the honors. All 3 have sub 2 ERA's with Forsh and Latos und 1.50 at this time. Forsch is also pretty much a sure bet for rookie of the year honors.

Aaron is now the new career home run leader and Jose Canseco is a member of club 400.
2 thanks for this post:
actionjackson (02-21-2018), JaBurns (02-21-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 09:04 AM   #509
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

As we enter the month of September, Fort Worth remains 2 games up on Mobile, while Texarkana has built a 4 game cushion between themselves and Lake Charles. Ugh, is Lake Charles going to fall short once again?

Ken Forsch is still the league leader in wins, with 19, but his ERA has climbed to the 1.90 range. Latos meanwhile is still sub 1.50.

Hank Aaron had a player of the month August, crushing 11 home runs. He now has 32 making him the league leader.

Tom Brunansky in his first season as a regular (3rd overall) is currently the league RBI leader.

This might be a very interesting post season as all the contending teams seem evenly matched. Mobile has clearly been the hottest team down the stretch, which is probably due to them getting Ernie Banks back. Banks got hurt early and spent 2+ months on the disabled list. Plus, Lou Gehrig flat out stunk to start the season. Lou has been pretty darn good since the start of July.

I know I've been whining about the lack of offense in 1968, Thing is, league ERA is somewhere around 3.23, which is 20+ higher than 2.98 the real MLB posted. Maybe I should shut up.

We are fast approaching my favorite decade and a half of baseball. I'm going to love watching the evolution of the bullpen from this point forward. Of course, I will stop history mid 80's so that evolution will never reach the silliness of today's game.

I'm also looking forward the watching stolen bases increase. The 60's have been better than the 50's, but bring on some 70 and 80 steal season.

One final note. Last night as league commissioner I held a league meeting telling all teams to not even think of building a Three Rivers, a Riverfront or a Veterans Stadium......and instituted the death penalty for any owner that even mentions artificial turf.

Last edited by David Watts; 02-22-2018 at 09:09 AM.
2 thanks for this post:
actionjackson (02-22-2018), JaBurns (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 03:50 PM   #510
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:

One final note. Last night as league commissioner I held a league meeting telling all teams to not even think of building a Three Rivers, a Riverfront or a Veterans Stadium......and instituted the death penalty for any owner that even mentions artificial turf.
Great idea but the death penalty must be proceeded by at least one week in the stocks before a public flogging.
2 thanks for this post:
actionjackson (02-22-2018), David Watts (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 07:58 PM   #511
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As we enter the month of September, Fort Worth remains 2 games up on Mobile, while Texarkana has built a 4 game cushion between themselves and Lake Charles. Ugh, is Lake Charles going to fall short once again?

Ken Forsch is still the league leader in wins, with 19, but his ERA has climbed to the 1.90 range. Latos meanwhile is still sub 1.50.

Hank Aaron had a player of the month August, crushing 11 home runs. He now has 32 making him the league leader.

Tom Brunansky in his first season as a regular (3rd overall) is currently the league RBI leader.

This might be a very interesting post season as all the contending teams seem evenly matched. Mobile has clearly been the hottest team down the stretch, which is probably due to them getting Ernie Banks back. Banks got hurt early and spent 2+ months on the disabled list. Plus, Lou Gehrig flat out stunk to start the season. Lou has been pretty darn good since the start of July.

I know I've been whining about the lack of offense in 1968, Thing is, league ERA is somewhere around 3.23, which is 20+ higher than 2.98 the real MLB posted. Maybe I should shut up.

We are fast approaching my favorite decade and a half of baseball. I'm going to love watching the evolution of the bullpen from this point forward. Of course, I will stop history mid 80's so that evolution will never reach the silliness of today's game.

I'm also looking forward the watching stolen bases increase. The 60's have been better than the 50's, but bring on some 70 and 80 steal season.

So, you're going to keep our (JaBurns and myself) Blue Jays out of your league then huh? 'Dis means war!
2 thanks for this post:
David Watts (02-23-2018), JaBurns (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 09:12 AM   #512
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Well, 1968 is in the books. Mobile managed to catch Fort Worth and sat 1 game up going into the final weekend of the season. That one game cushion wasn't enough though, as Mobile lost Sunday to Lake Charles, while Fort Worth won their game. So, it was off to a one game playoff in Mobile on Monday. Fort Worth jumped out to a big lead early and held on to place themselves in the championship round. Mobile would have to square off against the Texarkana Grasshoppers to earn another shot at the title. Mobile won the first two games of the best of seven at home. Texarkana came right back winning the next two at home, before losing the final game played in Texarkana. Mobile would then continue their perfection at home in game 6 to earn their rematch with Fort Worth.

The Championship round, was kind of dullsville, as Fort Worth won the first 3 games and put the Hustlers away in just 5 games. Mobile's Kirby Puckett was awarded series MVP angering baseball fans across the South and beyond. Puckett hit .469 in the series, but his team only managed to win one game.

Van Mungo took home Cy Young honors. This was his 4TH time in his stellar career to take home the best hurler award. He was 16-9 with a sub 2 ERA. He led the Southern League in K's and became the first pitcher to reach 3000 career k's. Coming in second was Jackson's Zack Grienke. Followed by Matt Latos of the Lake Charles Pirates.

Ken Forsch led all starters with 21 wins and picked up Rookie of the Year honors. For most of the season Forsch looked like the front runner for Cy Young, but a tough August and September pushed him out of that race. His ERA jumped from 1.39 to 2.02 at season end. Still a great year for the Fort Worth Mustang youngster.

Tom Brunanansky took home MVP honors. Tom led the league in RBI's with 102 and finished high on the home run list with 28. I really think his winning had a lot to do with guys like Pete Rose and Ken Griffey Jr. spending time on the dl. Hank Aaron came in second to Brunansky. Aaron led the league with 36 hime runs and now needs 40 to be the first to 500. He's also just 300+ hits away from 3000 for his career. Just think if this was OOTP 18, he might reach it next season. Graig Nettles came in 3rd. The MVP voting this year would have to be considered 100% based on home runs and RBI. Otherwise, even with injuries, Griffey and Rose would have factored in the race.

Texarkana's Sergio Romo took home his second straight Reliever of the Year award. Romo had 30+ saves and a sub 2 ERA.

No players were inducted into the Hall of Fame. Felix Hernandez received 79.5% of the votes. So very close. I have to think next year is his year. Jose Bautista, Al Simmons and Matt Holliday were the most notable players that were dropped from the ballot for failing to get the required votes. At some point, I may have to go back and look at both Simmons and Holliday and make a decision on whether or not I think the OOTP Gods might have failed in their voting. I'm thinking somewhere around 40 or 50 seasons in, I will create a veterans committee of one(me) to review players I think may have been snubbed.

Notable retirements-----Carl Hubbell. a 200 game winner and one of my favorites to watch pitch. Carl pitched till he was 40, but his last two season were crushed by injuries. I was actually really surprised to see him back in a rotation when 68 started, as I figured the injury he suffered in 67 would force him to retire. When 68 started he was doing fine, but quickly fell victim to another season ender....This time he called it quits.

Tom Glavine won his 200th game.

Larry French is 3 wins away from reaching 200 wins. French has a sub 3 ERA for his career.

Justin Verlander who had a bounce back season last year for the Texarkana Grasshoppers, needs 13(or 17, at work, I think he has 187, but might be 183) to reach 200 wins. Verlander finds himself back with the Biloxi Cardinals to start 1969, the team he pitched the majority of a career for.

Ugh! As you noticed above, Lake Charles once again failed to make the post season. 22 seasons of futility. Will 69 be there year. Not according to the preseason predictions. They are slated for a 5th place finish according to the OOTP prognosticators. The crystal ballers actually have the same 3 teams that participated in 1968's post season returning again.

I'm pulling for Van Mungo to win 20. If he can do so, he will be the Southern Leagues first pitcher to reach 250 wins.

George Scott and Bob Watson went 1 and 2 in the draft.

There are starting to be some rumblings around the league and in the south calling for the Southern league to expand. I'm just not sure as commissioner I'm going to listen. I really love this one league, no division setup with a 14 game round robin schedule. Going to 14 teams would mean going back to divisions. Right now I've been telling team owners that until Biloxi and Lake Charles win a title, I'm not going to consider expansion. Last night my house was toilet papered and someone spray painted bad words on the statue of me that sits outside the league offices in Shreveport. Might just be some local hooligans but I swear I heard someone shout San Antonio as they ran away.

Last edited by David Watts; 02-23-2018 at 02:41 PM.
2 thanks for this post:
actionjackson (02-23-2018), JaBurns (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 09:28 AM   #513
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So, you're going to keep our (JaBurns and myself) Blue Jays out of your league then huh? 'Dis means war!

Oh man, I didn't realize Mr. Burns was one of those Blue Bird fans as well. Ugh! Still wish the Tigers and Jays were in the same division. Just makes too much sense, especially with all the Windsor fans the Tigers have.
2 thanks for this post:
actionjackson (02-23-2018), JaBurns (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #514
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Blue Jays home field should be Christie Pits I remember reading about it years (eons) ago. I wish I could find the dimensions I would like to add the park to my game. That would make me learn something else in this amazing game.
2 thanks for this post:
actionjackson (02-23-2018), David Watts (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #515
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Oh man, I didn't realize Mr. Burns was one of those Blue Bird fans as well. Ugh! Still wish the Tigers and Jays were in the same division. Just makes too much sense, especially with all the Windsor fans the Tigers have.
Take heart before 1977 the Tigers were my favourite team. First MLB game I ever attended was at Tiger Stadium in ‘68. Had the program for years.
Thank you for this post:
actionjackson (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #516
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Take heart before 1977 the Tigers were my favourite team. First MLB game I ever attended was at Tiger Stadium in ‘68. Had the program for years.
I was all of 4 years old in 68. I so wish I could have seen that team play.
Thank you for this post:
actionjackson (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #517
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Blue Jays home field should be Christie Pits I remember reading about it years (eons) ago. I wish I could find the dimensions I would like to add the park to my game. That would make me learn something else in this amazing game.
...Or Hanlan's Point Stadium (site of Babe Ruth's first professional homerun), or Diamond Park, or Maple Leaf Stadium. None of them had that ersatz grass crap, and yet we've never not had it while we've had a team in the big leagues. Excellent little illustrated history here.
Thank you for this post:
JaBurns (02-24-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 08:04 PM   #518
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I used to have a program from when it was called Briggs Stadium. Found it in somebody's garbage or recycling (not sure which).
Old 02-24-2018, 12:33 PM   #519
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Thanked 264x in 187 posts
One project I haven't found time for is to crwate a 1968 league, delete all the teams and replace them with select 1998-2001 teams to the results. Then do the opposite and put 1968 teams on say 1999.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:12 PM   #520
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
One project I haven't found time for is to crwate a 1968 league, delete all the teams and replace them with select 1998-2001 teams to the results. Then do the opposite and put 1968 teams on say 1999.
I wonder how that would turn out. 2000 was the most offensive season of modern times and 1968 was the least offensive season. I just set all my seasons to output to 1984, which is not only chronologically between the two, but it's kind of offensively between the two.