Home | Webstore
Latest News: Update OOTP 19.6 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now - FHM 4 Available

OOTP Baseball 19 is Available Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 03-19-2018, 09:44 PM   #1
seanstephans
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 14x in 11 posts
Rebuilding Royalty

This year, I decided to try something different for me. I'm going to play only as a manager for this dynasty; and I'm going to colorfully report on the game-by-game progress of my Kansas City Royals, from Opening Day 2018, and beyond.

Since this is my first post, I will lay out the settings I use to give you some background on how I set things up:

1. I play on Challenge Mode, so that any achievements I may collect will be tracked.
2. I use a rating scale of 20 - 80 for player scouting, and I'm experimenting with not using overall and potential ratings.
3. All players are rated relative to MLB; and overall ratings are based on all players.
4. For player development settings, I use the following 0.9, 1.125, 0.9, 1.125, 120.
5. Lineups are set sabermetrically, because its 2018...
6. Trading frequency goes from Very low in March and April, to Low in May, Normal in June, High in July until the AS break, Very High after the AS break until the deadline, and then Low from August through November, with Normal from December through February.
7. Roles/Player positions are based on real life stats; league strategy is automatically adjusted moving forward each season (not sure if this has any effect); fielder ratings and pitcher stamina are based on the current season only.

So now that you now how I set the game up, let's get to the dynasty reports!

Last edited by seanstephans; 03-23-2018 at 07:17 PM. Reason: changed player scouting
seanstephans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:08 PM   #2
seanstephans
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 14x in 11 posts
Pre-season update

The off-season went quickly for the Royals, as they were NOT major players in the free agency market. Bringing back Mike Moustakas on a team-friendly contract was a nice coup after losing out on the Hosmer-sweepstakes.

Other role players were added by GMDM (General Manager: Dayton Moore!), as veterans Lucas Duda, Ryan Goins, John Jay, and Michael Saunders were added to bolster a crop of young position players not yet ready for Major League service. On the pitching side, GMDM added minor role pieces after trading away from some expensive veterans. Blaine Boyer, Wily Peralta, Zach Petrick (signed out of the Korean Baseball Organization), and Ramon Troncoso (signed out of the Liga Mexicana de Beisbol).

Other notable signings/trades include Greg Holland (signed to a minor league contract), Jeremy McBryde (signed to a minor league contract) and Trevor Oaks (part of the Scott Alexander and Joakim Soria trade).

GMDM will have his hands full rebuilding the Royals farm system, as none of the prospects made the top 100 list. The highest rated prospect is Nick Pratto, who is ranked #134, but he is years away from playing in Kansas City, as he is still in Rookie ball at Idaho. The Royals do field five prospects in the top 200, so there is a small silver lining.

The season is almost upon us. The Royals are predicted to finish 3rd in a bad division, winning 68 games, but finding themselves 32 games out of first place. Let's play ball!

Last edited by seanstephans; 03-21-2018 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Title
Old 03-19-2018, 10:36 PM   #3
seanstephans
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 14x in 11 posts
Opening Day

Game 1 was scheduled to be played on March 29, 2018, as part of the Opening Day series against the hated Chicago White Sox, but was rescheduled due to rain. With the game being moved to a Saturday, day-night doubleheader, it would be an important first step for the Royals to come out of the gate quickly...

Alas, it was not to be. Danny Duffy cruised the first 3 innings; striking out 1 while only allowing 2 hits. He ran into trouble in the 4th, 5th, and was replaced in the 6th with all 5 of the Sox runs being credited to him.His line of 5 1/3 innings, 9 hits, 5 earned runs, no walks, 3 Ks, and 1 HR is something he will need to improve on as the staff ace.

Overall, the Royals pitchers struggled to keep Chicago off base, allowing 14 hits and 0 walks. New manager, Sean Stephans, was quoted in the post-game press conference as saying, "You're not going to win many games where you give up 14 hits and only score 2 runs." Yes folks, that about sums it up for this opening match of the 2018 campaign.

The Royals struggled at the plate, striking out 10 times, while drawing only 3 walks, to go along with their untimely 10 hits. Who knew the White Sox would pound out 5 extra base hits? Well, I didn't see that coming on a cold afternoon.

The final score was 5 - 2, with the Royals dropping the season opener. Stay tuned for the nightcap!
Attached Images

Last edited by seanstephans; 03-21-2018 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Forgot screenshot; title
Old 03-19-2018, 11:23 PM   #4
seanstephans
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 14x in 11 posts
A Tough Night for Royals Fans

If Game 1 was a bitter pill to swallow, then Game 2 was UGLY. Jason Hammel, shall we say, struggled to command the plate, throwing 105 pitches in 4 innings, where he allowed 8 hits, 6 runs, 1 walk, and 1 HR. He was replaced by newcomer, Zach Petrick, who went 3 innings, giving up 4 hits, 2 runs, while striking out 3. Ramon Troncoso was able to pitch 2 scoreless innings to close out a tough doubleheader for the boys in blue.

The one bright spot in the night game was Mike Moustakas connecting for the Royals first HR of the season. He splashed down into the Kauffman Stadium fountains with a 418-foot moonshot that gave the hometown crowd something to cheer about.

Otherwise, this reporter wants nothing more than to close the book on this first day of baseball in Kansas City. Dropping two games to the White Sox will bring a sleepness night to Sean Stephans, as he looks to find something to ignite his team's lackluster offense.

On the day, the box score reads Chicago 8 - Kansas City 3. Get some rest folks; if today is any sign of what's to come, this is going to be a loooong season...
Attached Images

Last edited by seanstephans; 03-21-2018 at 05:47 PM. Reason: screenshot; title
Old 03-20-2018, 12:17 AM   #5
seanstephans
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 14x in 11 posts
Dave Webster, Hang a "W"

Walk-off hero John Jay is mobbed by his new teammates! This was exactly what the doctor ordered after a letdown to start the season, dropping both games of series doubleheader to Chicago on Saturday. Never fear, Royals Kingdom, we are back in the win column.

Jake Junis pitched an efficient outing, throwing 95 pitches through 7 innings, allowing 5 hits, 1 run, 0 walks, and 2 strikeouts. This was a welcome sign after the bullpen had been taxed heavily the day before. There was a bit of a scare as Brandon Maurer came in to start the 8th inning but had to leave after facing one batter with what is being called a mild oblique-strain. He is listed as day-to-day by the team trainer, Nick Kenney.

After Maurer had to leave the game unexpectedly, Brian Flynn was rushed to the mound to try to keep the game tied at 1 apiece. He was able to get out of the inning without any damage, despite the leadoff double hit by Tim Anderson that saw Maurer leave. The bottom of the 8th was also scoreless, with Flynn coming back in to face the Pale Hose of Chi-town in a deadlocked 9th inning. Trying to sneak one past Nicky Delmonico proved a costly mistake as a solo homerun put the Sox up 2 - 1, with the luckless Royals down to their last inning. The sour taste was returning to the mouths of all in attendance at Kauffman Stadium. Manager Sean Stephans quickly went to Blaine Boyer to replace Flynn to limit the damage done. Boyer threw a scoreless inning and the Royals were down to their final 3 outs.

Lucas Duda led off the 9th with a 5-pitch strikeout for your hometown Royals. With Jorge Soler and Alex Gordon due up, the situation appeared bleak until Soler lashed out a single to give the Royals a baserunner. Alex Gordon belted a double to deep right-center field to bring Soler across the plate to tie the game at 2 in the bottom of the 9th. With a man in scoring position and only one out, the Royals had new life.

Michael Saunders was intentionally walked to give the White Sox an opportunity for a double-play situation. Having already turned two double-plays in the game, it seemed like the right move by the Chicago skipper. Ryan Goins was up next, hitting into a fielder's choice, advancing Gordon to third while Saunders was thrown out at second, and only the speed of Goins keeping the would-be double-play from being turned. Two outs, bottom of the 9th, and up stepped new Royal, John Jay. Swinging at the first pitch, Jay blooped a single to right-center, sending Alex Gordon across home plate, and the team rushing the field for a walk-off win to avoid being swept in the opening series of the season.

Final line score: Kansas City 3 - Chicago 2. Up next, the Royals are on the road in Detroit. Now there's a place everyone loves to go in early April!
Attached Images

Last edited by seanstephans; 03-21-2018 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Title
Old 03-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #6
seanstephans
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 14x in 11 posts
Moose Sighting!

Free baseball!

That's what the crowd at Comerica Park was treated to this evening, as the game went into extra innings. The Tigers jumped out to an early 3 - 0 lead, as Nate Karns gave up back-to-back-to-back doubles in the second inning. Karns settled down from there and pitched into the 7th, trying to help his beleaguered bullpen. Karns came out of the game after allowing a 1-out single. His line for the night was 6 1/3 innings, 8 hits, 4 runs, and 3 strikeouts.

Ramon Troncoso came on in the 7th, with an opportunity to keep the Tigers from clawing back into the game. The lead was 5 - 3, Kansas City, following some timely hitting from the veteran bats in the lineup. Troncoso did allow the inherited runner to score, bringing the score closer, 5 - 4 Royals. Ramon finished the evening with 1 2/3 innings, allowing 2 hits.

Closer, Kelvin Herrera was called on for his first save opportunity in the 9th inning, with the Royals clinging to a 1-run lead. Tonight was not the time for Herrera to record his first save of the season. He allowed 1 hit, 1 walk, and 1 run on a passed ball, earning a blown save.

The game went into extra innings with both teams taxed in the bullpen. Mike Moustakas heard the visiting fans give him the "MOOOOOOSE" call, as he belted his second homerun of the season, just over the wall in right field. The Royals were back on top, 6 - 5. In the bottom of the 11th, Wily Peralta entered the game with a save opportunity.Wily Coyote didn't disappoint, facing the minimum in the bottom of the inning to give the Royals a win in the series opener, 6 - 5, over the Tigers.

For the night, Alex Gordon and Mike Moustakas were the heroes, delivering key RBIs. Moustakas was given his first Gatorade bath of the season from fan-favorite, Salvy Perez, in the post-game interview with FSKC reporter, Joel Goldberg.

Steve Physioc and Rex Hudler were on the call, as Denny Matthews will only call home games in his 50th season as the Royals original broadcaster. Denny becomes only the third broadcaster to work for the same team for 50 years, joining Vin Scully and Jaime Jarrin, both of Dodgers fame.

Joel Goldberg asked Mike Moustakas how it felt to get his first post-game bath of the season, given the off-season speculation that his playing days in Kansas City were done.

With a big smile through the shivering cold, Moose answered, "You know, I didn't know where I was going to be this season...so...I tried not to think about how it would feel to celebrate after a win. But Salvy, you know he loves this, well, he just smiled at me after the game and I knew I was getting the Gatorade. But it's great. This is what we play for. We work hard as a team. It feels good to be one of the guys that everyone is looking to, and, you know, I'm just happy to keep playing as a Royal."

In the post-game press conference, new manager, Sean Stephans, was visibly smiling as his team has now won two in a row. He praised the team for battling back after dropping the first two games of the season.

With 4 games down and 158 to go, your Kansas City Royals are 2 - 2. Let's look for another win tomorrow night, as Ian Kennedy matches up with Francisco Liriano.
Attached Images

Last edited by seanstephans; 03-21-2018 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Title
Old 03-20-2018, 05:44 PM   #7
seanstephans
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 14x in 11 posts
We're Going Streakin'

Through the quad; all the way to the gymnasium!

That's right, loyal readers. The Royals are on a 3-game winning streak. Another game. Another win. Another night of late-game heroics.

To recap, the game started off slowly for our blue-clad Royalty. Ian Kennedy struggled with the long ball all night, giving up 3 solo homeruns. Otherwise, he kept the game within reach, allowing 4 runs on 9 hits, with 2 strikeouts over 8 innings of work.

And once again, the Royals go into the final inning needing something to keep the game alive, as the Detroit Kittens clung to a 4 - 2 lead with Shane Greene coming in to work the 9th. Mike Moustakas led off the top of the inning with a walk, followed by a Salvador Perez double to put runners at second and third with nobody out. Greene was replaced by former Royal, Louis Coleman. Lucas Duda singled in a run, leaving runners at the corners. Coleman got Soler to ground out to first, advancing Duda to second. Once again, the Royals had runners at second and third, this time with one out and Alex Gordon coming to the plate. Alex Gordon took a 1 - 0 fastball to dead-center for a 415-foot, 3-run homerun, putting the Royals up 6 - 4. Cuthbert and Escobar both failed to reach base, bringing the game to the bottom of the 9th with the bottom of the Tigers' order due up.

Kelvin Herrera was handed the ball one night after a 2-inning outing which saw him blow a save in his first chance this season. With this, no doubt, fresh in his mind, Herrera exorcised his demons and quickly worked through three batters to earn his first save of the season.

Final score, Kansas City 6 - Detroit 4. This win gives the Royals a series win, with a chance at a sweep in tomorrow's contest. Other notable performances include Salvy Perez hitting his first homerun of the season with an opposite field blast of 467 feet.This brings his extra-base hit total to 5 through 5 games to start the season.

For the rubber match tomorrow, Danny Duffy will match up against Tigers ace, Michael Fulmer. Bring those brooms, Royals fans, let's get a sweep.
Attached Images
Old 03-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #8
seanstephans
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 14x in 11 posts
Sweep...

Oh golly, I'm hot today!

Yes, folks, that famous line from Caddy Shack applied to your Royals in this getaway game in Detroit. Kansas City brought 10 men to the plate in the top of the 1st inning, plating 5 runs to give Danny Duffy a comfortable lead to work with. Duffy did not disappoint, pitching 7 innings, allowing 3 hits, 1 run, 2 walks, while recording 1 strikeout. Duffy was efficient with his pitches, throwing 51 strikes in 94 pitches. This game offered a much-needed bounce-back following the disappointing season opener for him. In the post-game press conference, Duffy said dryly, "it felt good to get the monkey off my back. As the guy everyone is looking to as a leader, I feel terrible for the team when we lose because of my performance. I worked hard during this week with coach [Eldred], and it was just about hitting my spots today and not trying to get cute."

Newly acquired waiver wire find, Zac Rossup, pitched the final two frames. He threw a scoreless 8th and then struggled in the 9th, giving up 3 hits, 2 runs and 1 homerun. Rossup was claimed from Colorado and Brian Flynn was was DFA'ed and placed on irrevocable waivers to make room on the 40-man roster for Rossup.

The bench produced some pop today as Butera and Cuthbert each had 3 hits, and Orlando added 2 hits of his own. They were critical to the win today as the rest of the team collected a total of 6 hits combined.

Notable performances of the week include Alex Gordon collecting 9 RBIs to open the season. On a sour note, Whit Merrifield has gone 3 for 21 at the plate to open the season.

The final score was Kansas City 7 - Detroit 3. The Royals are now tied with Cleveland for second place in the division with a record of 4 - 2. After an off-day tomorrow, the next series opens Friday night against the Indians at the unfriendly confines of Progressive Field. The only thing better than Detroit in April is to feel the breeze coming off of beautiful Lake Erie.
Attached Images

Last edited by seanstephans; 03-21-2018 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Title
Thank you for this post:
Greg Layton (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 07:09 PM   #9
seanstephans
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 14x in 11 posts
Update from the desk of GMDM

In off-the-field news, Brian Flynn passed through waivers and was assigned to Triple-A Omaha. Other transactions included passing Jorge Soler through irrevocable waivers to make room for Cody Asche on the major league roster. Asche has bounced around the minors and last saw regular action at the major league level in 2015, playing for Philadelphia. He played college baseball for the University of Nebraska and was born in St. Charles, Missouri.

As the farm system continues to be rebuilt, 14 free agents were signed to minor league contracts and 13 minor leaguers were given their outright release.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:06 PM   #10
seanstephans
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 14x in 11 posts
Asche to ashes and Duda to Dust

Despite 5 hits between newly-promoted Cody Asche and Lucas Duda, the Royals drop the series opener to Cleveland 6 - 2. Asche and Duda each hit a solo homerun, to provide the only runs for Kansas City. Alex Gordon contributed the team's only other hit.

The four-game winning streak was brought to a halt by Indians hurler, Carlos Carrasco, who went 6 2/3 innings, allowed 4 hits, 2 runs, 1 walk, while striking out 6. To face him, Jason Hammel went 5 innings, allowing 6 hits, 2 runs, 1 walk, with 1 strikeout. Hammel continued to struggle with his command, but was able to get through 5 and hand the bullpen a winnable game.

For the Royals, Blaine Boyer pitched the 6th, allowing 1 run on 2 hits. Zach Petrick pitched a scoreless 7th and the 8th was given to Brandon Maurer in his first action back from an injured oblique. Maurer struggled to miss bats, allowing 6 hits and 3 runs on 39 pitches.

Asked after the game why he left Maurer in when it was clear that he was not effective, Sean Stephans replied, "In a game where we had only 4 hits to that point, I wanted to save our other arms in the pen for a night where our bats could get us back in the game. Besides, I wanted to see how Brandon would work out of a jam."

For the Indians, Francisco Lindor led the offense with 3 hits, including a 2-run homerun. The player of the game was Carlos Carrasco, whose ERA on this young season is 1.98, with 13 strikeouts in 13 2/3 innings.

Up next, Jake Junis will go against Danny Salazar for Saturday's game.
Attached Images
Old 03-21-2018, 07:30 PM   #11
seanstephans
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 14x in 11 posts
Extra Special

Another game, another night of extra-inning baseball. In their second game of the season to go to extra-innings, the hero was Cheslor Cuthbert, who got his first homerun of the season off of Andrew Miller, in the 10th inning.

The action started in the first inning for both teams tonight, as Mike Moustakas got the Royals on the board first with a 2-run homerun. Michael Brantley and Jose Ramirez answered for the Indians with solo homeruns in the bottom of the first. Both teams scored another run in the second, leaving many to wonder which pitcher would get knocked out of the game first.

Jake Junis and Danny Salazar both settled down after the second inning and the game became a matter of pitching and defense. For the night, Junis went 7 innings, allowing 8 hits, 3 runs, with 1 strikeout on 93 pitches. Salazar matched him going 6 2/3 innings, allowing 7 hits, 3 runs, 1 walk, while striking out 6 on 102 pitches.

For the Royals, Rossup and Herrera pitched the 8th and 9th innings respectively. Ramon Troncoso was called on for the 10th and he didn't disappoint, earning his first save of the season.The winning pitcher was Kelvin Herrera and Andrew Miller was stuck with the loss. The series and road trip wrap up tomorrow, with Nathan Karns throwing against Trevor Bauer.

Notable performances: Jon Jay collected 4 hits in the win today, bringing his season total to 11 hits through 8 games.

Asked after the game about his hot start to the season, Jay responded, "We all want to work hard every night. When Dayton brought me here, he told me that he wanted me to be a leader. He wanted me to work my at-bats. He wanted the younger guys to see how to come in and approach each time up, so that's what I'm trying to do."

Cheslor Cuthbert got the Gatorade bath from Salvador Perez and both were all smiles as they answered Joel Goldberg's post-game questions.
Attached Images

Last edited by seanstephans; 03-21-2018 at 07:35 PM. Reason: added storyline
Old 03-21-2018, 08:35 PM   #12
seanstephans
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 14x in 11 posts
Tribal Tattoo

The Progessive Field Tribe scored early and often. This was the theme all game as it felt like the Royals were more focused on getaway day than they were on playing baseball.

Both starters were unable to help their teams, as Trevor Bauer left the game after one batter in the first inning with what is being called strained triceps. He is expected to be out of action for five weeks. For the Royals, Nate Karns went 3 innings, allowing 11 hits, 6 runs, 4 earned, with 2 strikeouts on 67 pitches.

With both teams having to go to the bullpen early, the deeper pen of Cleveland won the battle of attrition rather handily. Both teams saw five pitchers enter the game.

The final score was Cleveland 10 - Kansas City 3. Cleveland recorded 19 hits to 7 for the Royals. On a positive note, John Jay and Whit Merrifield each had 2 hits. For Whit Merrifield, this is welcome news, as he appears to be ready to come out of this early season slump with a 2-run homerun.

The Royals open a 7-game homestand tomorrow against the Seattle Mariners. Ian Kennedy will face off against Marco Gonazalez. On the road trip, Kansas City went 4 - 2. Make sure to arrive early for the upcoming game against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim on Saturday, April 14, 2018. The first 10,000 fans will receive a replica model of Municipal Stadium, courtesy of Price Chopper and Pepsi. This is all part of Stadium History Month, as the Royals are celebrating 50 years of Major League Baseball.
Attached Images
Old 03-21-2018, 09:56 PM   #13
seanstephans
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 14x in 11 posts
M's outlast Royals

In a back-and-forth game that featured both starters giving up runs in at least four innings, the difference was found in the Seattle bullpen. James Pazos and Edwin Diaz were strong today, each responsible for striking out 3 batters over the final 2 2/3 innings.

Up to that point, the game felt like it could go either way. Both teams had their standout players. Lucas Duda hit 2 solo homeruns for the Royals; and Nelson Cruz went 3 - 4, with a 2-run homerun.

During the post-game press conference, Sean Stephans was asked why he went with Kennedy for the 7th inning. He replied dryly, "We've already had 2 extra-inning games this season and we had to send 5 pitchers to the mound yesterday, so I told Ian that I expected him to give us at least 7 today. He did that."

Soren Petro, from 810 WHB in Kansas City, then jumped into the conversation, "Sean, can you tell us if you considered changing your mind, given that the game was tied at 4 after 6 innings?"

"Well, Soren, I'm not going to second-guess Ian. He did what we asked him to do. Sure it was tough to see them score 2 more runs, but we felt like with the way the game had gone to that point that we would get our chance to battle back. And, you know, the bullpen needed its rest. I knew that if I could get 7 out of Ian then I would hand the ball to Zach so that everyone else could get a day off. That's all I was focused on. It's a long season and we need guys healthy all year."

In what was probably the longest exchange between the Royals manager and the pool of reporters to date, Stephans tried to defend his decision. Time will tell if he made the right move for the club.

Tomorrow's starters are Danny Duffy and James Paxton.
Attached Images
Old 03-21-2018, 10:55 PM   #14
seanstephans
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 14x in 11 posts
An Open Apology to Royals Fans

Today's column is likely to be the first of many apologies offered on behalf of the Royals this season. This journalist feels that the time is right for us to start to ask questions of the strategy taken by Royals management.

Today's game left more questions than it answered. Danny Duffy looked electric through the first 3 innings. Over the next 3 innings, he allowed 9 runs, 6 of them earned. On the night, he allowed 11 hits, 0 walks, while striking out 2. For a pitcher who is supposed to be the reliable staff ace, he is very hot or cold, often in the same game. Given that the Royals now owe him $60 million dollars over the next four seasons, this is something that needs to get stabilized or David Glass will have spent his money poorly.

The offense today was good enough to win. 5 Royals hitters had multi-hit games, with 5 extra-base hits included. Moustakas crushed his 4th homerun of the season in the 9th inning. Still, it felt unsatisfactory because the game was 10 - 2 before Moose made it closer.

Attendance was 29,126, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why people are spending their money on this product. The Royals have now lost 3 in a row, and 4 of 5. What a difference a week has made.

If the management at Kauffman Stadium is reading this letter, I would ask them is this team rebuilding or a place for overpriced veteran ballplayers that can't sign on anywhere else. I would want to know why more of the young prospects aren't getting a chance at the major league level. I would ask them how they intend to fix a pitching staff and defense ranked 13th in the American league. I would ask them how they intend to improve on an offense ranked 10th in the American league.

Naturally, David Glass and GMDM do not answer to this publication. But they do answer to their fans; maybe not directly, but in their support and in their pocketbooks. Time will tell if anyone is listening...

For today's game, the Mariners won 10 - 5. The Royals will send Jason Hammel to the mound tomorrow to try and salvage a win against Erasmo Ramirez. Come out and watch the game, if you can sneak away from work. Opening pitch is at 1:15 pm.
Attached Images
Old 03-21-2018, 11:38 PM   #15
seanstephans
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 14x in 11 posts
Quality Start Doesn't Provide Enough Quality

That was the story for this afternoon's game, folks. Jason Hammel put together his best start thus far, going 6 innings, allowing 7 hits, 3 runs, 2 of them earned, while recording 1 strikeout on 96 pitches. When he handed the game off to Ramon Troncoso, it was tied 3 apiece.

Troncoso struggled in his inning of work, allowing 4 hits, 3 runs, 1 walk, and a solo homerun to Stephen Drew.

Wily Peralta and Blaine Boyer added a scoreless 8th and 9th, but the damage was done. The Royals fell today, 6 - 3. This makes 4 losses in a row and 2 consecutive series lost.

Notable performances: Cheslor Cuthbert and John Jay have all hit safely in 5 straight games. Alex Gordon extends his league-leading hitting streak to 11 games. Up next are the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Jake Junis and Matt Shoemaker will square off tomorrow night at 7:15 pm. Remember, this is a 4-game series, with the promotional giveaway to the first 10,000 fans at Saturday night's game.
Attached Images
Old 03-22-2018, 12:21 AM   #16
seanstephans
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 14x in 11 posts
Uh-Ohtani...

The Angels scraped past the Royals, 5 - 4, on the strength of 2 Shohei Ohtani homeruns, the first coming to lead off the game. Both teams played good baseball, but Kansas City just didn't have an answer for the Japanese phenom.

Manager Sean Stephans was quoted as saying, "First, I want to tip my hat to Ohtani. We've heard about him, but that kid is the real thing. We had a gameplan to shut down Trout. We did that. We just didn't have an answer for Shohei."

Jake Junis lost the battle against veteran Matt Shoemaker. Junis went 6 innings, allowed 9 hits, 5 runs, 2 walks, striking out 5 on 102 pitches. Shoemaker was more efficient, going 7 innings, allowing 7 hits, 3 runs, striking out 1 on 91 pitches.

The loss means the Royals have now dropped 5 in a row, and 6 of 7. They are 4 games behind first place Chicago, which is as painful to write as it is to read.

Cuthbert, Gordon, and Jay kept their hitting streaks alive.Whit Merrifield now has 3 straight multi-hit games, including his first homerun on the season. Following his season-opening slump, he has raised his batting average to .240.

Friday night's contest will feature Nate Karns taking on JC Ramirez.
Attached Images
Old 03-22-2018, 01:22 AM   #17
seanstephans
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 14x in 11 posts
3-Hit Whit is a Walk-Off Hero

You read that right, folks. Your eyes do not deceive you. The Royals won a wild one at Kauffman Stadium. It was beginning to feel like Dave Webster was going to be out of a job as the guy who hangs up the "W" each time the Royals win a home game. It had to be Friday the 13th. These Royals wouldn't have it any other way, as Whit Merrifield delivered his 3rd hit of the night in dramatic fashion with a walk-off single that broke the losing streak.

The game started out with the Royals jumping out front early. Mike Moustakas hung dong past center field and towards I-70, launching a moon shot that landed 444-feet away from home plate. The fans gave him a loud Moose call on his 5th homerun of the campaign to put Kansas City up 2 - 0. They added another in the second when Whit singled in Paulo Orlando to go up 3 - 0.

Nate Karns allowed 3 runs in the top of the 3rd, including a 2-run homerun by Justin Upton. For the night, Karns went 7 innings, allowed 6 hits, 3 runs, 2 earned, with 1 strikeout on 88 pitches. It was exactly the kind of efficient night Sean Stephans has been looking for out of his starters. For Karns, this was easily his best start yet this season and showed why the Royals traded for him prior to the 2017 season.

The game was tied at 3 when Zac Rossup took the hill in the 8th. He allowed 1 run on 1 hit and 1 walk, to put Los Angeles in the lead. That old feeling started to creep back into Kauffman Stadium as the fans were left to wonder if the Royals would find yet another way to lose a game they could have so easily won.

Alex Gordon delivered a sacrifice fly with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 8th inning to level the game again at 4. Onto the 9th and Kelvin Herrera was handed the ball. Kelvin worked around 1 hit and got the game to the bottom of the 9th, still tied.

Alcides Escobar reached base on an error and John Jay singled, putting runners at the corners with nobody out. Up came Whit Merrifield with a chance to be the hero. He lined a 1 - 0 fastball over the drawn-in infield for a walk-off single and his second RBI of the game. Mobbed at home plate by his teammates, the 27,891 fans screamed, half in joy, half in relief at finding elusive victory.

Notable performances: Whit Merrifield now has 9 hits and 4 RBIs in his last 4 games. Alex Gordon and John Jay also had multi-hit games, extending their respective hitting streaks. Cheslor Cuthbert saw his hitting streak end at 6 games tonight. Mike Moustakas is currently tied for 2nd in the American League with 5 homeruns; Salvy Perez is tied for 2nd in the AL with 6 doubles; and Alex Gordon is in 2nd in Win-Probability-Added, at 1.2 wins. On the pitching side, Kelvin Herrera has 3 wins, which currently leads the AL; and all 5 starters are among the top-7 in BB/9. As a team, the Royals have only allowed 14 walks on the season.

Tomorrow night's start is an hour earlier, at 6:15 pm. Be there early to be one of the first 10,000 fans to receive your very own replica model of classic Municipal Stadium, the first home of your Kansas City Royals.

On the mound, Ian Kennedy will match-up with Shohei Ohtani.
Attached Images
Old 03-22-2018, 09:54 PM   #18
seanstephans
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 14x in 11 posts
Troncoso's struggles continue

Ramon Troncoso could not shut down the opposition for the second straight game, allowing 2 runs on 3 hits and 1 walk to give the Angels a 4 - 2 lead going into the bottom of the 8th inning. Over his last two appearances, Ramon has allowed 5 runs on 7 hits and 2 walks.

Before the game got to that point, Ian Kennedy and Shohei Ohtani were matched in an unconventional duel. Ohtani was the flashier of the two, striking out 11 over 6 innings, while only allowing 2 runs on 4 hits and 1 walk. Kennedy quietly threw 6 innings, allowing 2 runs on 7 hits, striking out 3. Both men handed a tie game to their bullpens for the late innings.

One of Ohtani's strikeout victims was Mike Moustakas, who was ejected in the 1st inning for arguing with the home plate umpire. After he was tossed from the game, Moustakas went full-George-Brett and charged the umpire, bumping him before he was restrained by his manager, Sean Stephans. League officials have reported that Moustakas has been suspended for the next 2 games, as a result of making contact with an official. The Royals have decided not to appeal the decision.

Whit Merrifield and Lucas Duda led Kansas City with 2 hits apiece. Duda hit a 2-run homerun and added an RBI ground-rule double in the 8th. The Angels were fortunate that the ball ended up bouncing over the wall as Ryan Goins looked like he would safely make it home to tie the game otherwise.

Notable performances: John Jay has now hit safely in 8 straight games. Whit Merrifield has a 5-game hitting streak, with 11 hits during that span. Alex Gordon saw his hitting streak come to an end at 13 games.

The Royals will look to tie the series tomorrow before they head out on a 6-game road trip. On the mound, Danny Duffy will match up with Garrett Richards. First pitch is at 1:15 pm.
Attached Images
Old 03-22-2018, 10:45 PM   #19
seanstephans
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 14x in 11 posts
Whit Does It Again!

The Royals were led on offense tonight by John Jay and Whit Merrifield, as they collected 5 of the club's 7 hits. In fact, the only other player to get a hit was Alcides Escobar, who contributed 2 hits to the win as well.

After a shaky start, Danny Duffy settled down and matched Garrett Richards on the night. Duffy went 6 1/3 innings, allowing 2 runs on 8 hits and 1 walk, striking out 4.Richards went 7 innings, only allowing 1 run on 3 hits and 3 walks, also striking out 4.

Blaine Boyer, Kelvin Herrera, and Zach Petrick combined for 3 2/3 scoreless innings to give the offense a chance to tie the game and win it in extra innings.

Jay now has a 9-game hitting streak, with Whit extending his own streak to 6 games.The Royals split the 4 game series with the Angels. The Royals will play 3 at Toronto, with Jason Hammel and J.A. Happ going head-to-head tomorrow night.
Attached Images
Old 03-23-2018, 07:15 PM   #20
seanstephans
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 14x in 11 posts
From the desk of GMDM

Jorge Soler passed through waivers and was assigned to Triple-A Omaha. Jesse Hahn is expected to return to baseball action in 3 weeks, following a stint on the DL for a UCL sprain. He will start on a rehab assignment in the minor leagues.

Greg Holland has recorded 2 saves in 4 innings of work at Triple-A. He has allowed 1 hit and 1 walk over that time, striking out 7.

The Storm Chasers and the Naturals have both struggled to open their seasons. They are 3 - 8, and 3 - 7, respectively. High-A Wilmington is 1 game under .500, at 5 - 6, and Low-A Lexington is 4 - 7.