Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 18.8.76 Update Available - OOTP 18 Available - FHM 4 Available - MLB Manager 2017 Available Now

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 Available

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #21
Questdog
Hall Of Famer
 
Questdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Posts: 12,024
Thanks: 1,873
Thanked 4,145x in 2,516 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthian23 View Post
First thing it did was changed the baseball quality levels around the world from the default. Now the only two countries that are listed as Excellent are the US and DR. Japan, for instance, is down to average, but there are only eight countries above average, so that could be normal. I'll let you know if anything seems off.
That is as it should be.

Do you have fewer countries after the import than before? Is Algeria a country?
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:11 PM   #22
BadluckinOOTP
All Star Starter
 
BadluckinOOTP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: OKC
Posts: 1,463
Thanks: 1
Thanked 71x in 17 posts
Still cannot figure out what I'm doing incorrectly when it comes to using this namefile with the quick-start MLB league that the game comes loaded with. It works perfectly on new leagues, but when you load the QS, you get the default name file (complete with nicknames. ) and when you re-import the name files they aren't quite right.

Far too many players named Jamie, Pat and some variation of x.J. (A.J, B.J, C.J, etc...), though the last names seem to work. Special characters are not removed from Hispanic names either.
__________________
BadluckinOOTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #23
Questdog
Hall Of Famer
 
Questdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Posts: 12,024
Thanks: 1,873
Thanked 4,145x in 2,516 posts
If the Hispanic names have special characters, then the game is not using my files.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:15 PM   #24
BadluckinOOTP
All Star Starter
 
BadluckinOOTP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: OKC
Posts: 1,463
Thanks: 1
Thanked 71x in 17 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
If the Hispanic names have special characters, then the game is not using my files.
Even more confused then.
__________________
BadluckinOOTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:18 PM   #25
Questdog
Hall Of Famer
 
Questdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Posts: 12,024
Thanks: 1,873
Thanked 4,145x in 2,516 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadluckinOOTP View Post
Even more confused then.
Let me amend that statement: If the NEW Hispanic players have special characters in their names, the game is not using my files.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:12 PM   #26
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve
 
Ruthian23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 727
Thanks: 171
Thanked 254x in 117 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
That is as it should be.

Do you have fewer countries after the import than before? Is Algeria a country?
Algeria is listed as a country.
Ruthian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:27 PM   #27
Questdog
Hall Of Famer
 
Questdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Posts: 12,024
Thanks: 1,873
Thanked 4,145x in 2,516 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthian23 View Post
Algeria is listed as a country.
So re-importing my file only adds stuff from my file and does not delete stuff already in the game.

Let me know if the names appear to be working as intended, especially that you have black players created from the USA.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:32 PM   #28
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve
 
Ruthian23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 727
Thanks: 171
Thanked 254x in 117 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
So re-importing my file only adds stuff from my file and does not delete stuff already in the game.

Let me know if the names appear to be working as intended, especially that you have black players created from the USA.
Question: I'm not far into my game at all and wouldn't terribly mind starting a new one. If I started a new one would it start properly? I could run my existing game multiple years into the future as a test league for your name file and let you know what happens. If I do that, what specifically should I be checking for? What questions would you be interested in having answered?
Ruthian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:57 PM   #29
Questdog
Hall Of Famer
 
Questdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Posts: 12,024
Thanks: 1,873
Thanked 4,145x in 2,516 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthian23 View Post
Question: I'm not far into my game at all and wouldn't terribly mind starting a new one. If I started a new one would it start properly? I could run my existing game multiple years into the future as a test league for your name file and let you know what happens. If I do that, what specifically should I be checking for? What questions would you be interested in having answered?

If you follow the instructions in the readme.txt file it will work perfectly for a new game.

Main question for the imported names is whether you are getting any black players in the draft from the USA. Also, if you are getting any names from the USA that are not in my list, but this might be a tough one for you to figure out since you are not familiar with my list.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:07 AM   #30
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve
 
Ruthian23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 727
Thanks: 171
Thanked 254x in 117 posts
So I started a new league and am still seeing Algeria. Additionally, the number of names in the database is still what it originally was (slightly over 150K.) In the other one, where I re-imported the name and ethnicity database, that number changed to 324,388 (though, as I said, Algeria's still there), so it seems like the larger name file is there (if re-importing it gave me many more names). I'm using the default MLB Quickstart.

Edit: I also checked the quality of baseball in other countries. It's back to the default, even though that updated properly when I did the re-import in the file that was already created. Odd.

Last edited by Ruthian23; 04-19-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Ruthian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:18 AM   #31
Questdog
Hall Of Famer
 
Questdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Posts: 12,024
Thanks: 1,873
Thanked 4,145x in 2,516 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthian23 View Post
So I started a new league and am still seeing Algeria. Additionally, the number of names in the database is still what it originally was (slightly over 150K.) In the other one, where I re-imported the name and ethnicity database, that number changed to 324,388 (though, as I said, Algeria's still there), so it seems like the larger name file is there (if re-importing it gave me many more names). I'm using the default MLB Quickstart.

Edit: I also checked the quality of baseball in other countries. It's back to the default, even though that updated properly when I did the re-import in the file that was already created. Odd.
Ah!...you said you were going to start a new league, but the MLB Quickstart is not a new league, but really a save game that has already been started.

Unfortunately, it appears that the way they set the league up keeps my name files from working very well.

Using my files with the MLB Quickstart, you ALWAYS have to re-import everything, even from the get-go. It should be an improvement on the default names, but will never be as good as starting a fictional league from scratch.

Sorry, but there is nothing I can do to fix it.

P.S. I suspect they have done something to have the names of the first 3 or 4 draft classes set in stone because they include real prospects. After that, you may see my names kick into action. Let me know!
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:21 AM   #32
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve
 
Ruthian23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 727
Thanks: 171
Thanked 254x in 117 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
Ah!...you said you were going to start a new league, but the MLB Quickstart is not a new league, but really a save game that has already been started.

Unfortunately, it appears that the way they set the league up keeps my name files from working very well.

Using my files with the MLB Quickstart, you ALWAYS have to re-import everything, even from the get-go. It should be an improvement on the default names, but will never be as good as starting a fictional league from scratch.

Sorry, but there is nothing I can do to fix it.

P.S. I suspect they have done something to have the names of the first 3 or 4 draft classes set in stone because they include real prospects. After that, you may see my names kick into action. Let me know!
I am going to try to create a league based on the MLB template, but from scratch. That should more or less be the same thing as the MLB Quickstart, I'd think, only the names will take properly.

FYI, I believe I read here that the names of the 3 or 4 draft classes are set in stone because they're based on real current college and high school players likely to be drafted (the roster team was evidently very busy.)
Ruthian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:28 AM   #33
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve
 
Ruthian23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 727
Thanks: 171
Thanked 254x in 117 posts
Okay, so I did Create Custom League and then used Create Real World League. Is that the same thing as the Quickstart, because I still have Algeria and 150K names. Would I have to use Create Fictional League and set it up like MLB?

Edit: So that seems to do it, but obviously the players and everything are fictional. I guess there's just no way to use the files properly while having a real MLB setup. I'll fast-forward a game and make sure it's generating African-Americans from the US several years in the future and see if I can get by with the re-import feature. Either way, I'll definitely keep this in mind if I do a fictional league later.

Last edited by Ruthian23; 04-19-2014 at 12:36 AM.
Ruthian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Questdog (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 12:57 AM   #34
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve
 
Ruthian23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 727
Thanks: 171
Thanked 254x in 117 posts
One more thing, as the simulation is running in the background: By making these the default files as I have, it shouldn't have any impact whatsoever on historical leagues with real players in them, right? (assuming I use ghost players for the minors in historicals and don't let anyone who didn't really make the majors make the majors).
Ruthian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:06 AM   #35
Questdog
Hall Of Famer
 
Questdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Posts: 12,024
Thanks: 1,873
Thanked 4,145x in 2,516 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthian23 View Post
One more thing, as the simulation is running in the background: By making these the default files as I have, it shouldn't have any impact whatsoever on historical leagues with real players in them, right? (assuming I use ghost players for the minors in historicals and don't let anyone who didn't really make the majors make the majors).
Correct. No real players will have their names changed. I play historical replay leagues all the time with my files installed.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Ruthian23 (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 01:51 AM   #36
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve
 
Ruthian23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 727
Thanks: 171
Thanked 254x in 117 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
Correct. No real players will have their names changed. I play historical replay leagues all the time with my files installed.
Great. Thanks again for all your help tonight.

Edit: As an aside, what is the picture in your av from?

Last edited by Ruthian23; 04-19-2014 at 02:09 AM.
Ruthian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:44 AM   #37
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve
 
Ruthian23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 727
Thanks: 171
Thanked 254x in 117 posts
Update: Simmed to 2017 draft pool creation. Narrowed the filter to US born players, and there are plenty of potential draftees with the "African" face type.

Now I really should get some sleep.
Ruthian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Questdog (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #38
SirMichaelJordan
All Star Starter
 
SirMichaelJordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,539
Thanks: 1,508
Thanked 778x in 475 posts
Questdog's Names for OOTP 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthian23 View Post
Okay, so I did Create Custom League and then used Create Real World League. Is that the same thing as the Quickstart, because I still have Algeria and 150K names. Would I have to use Create Fictional League and set it up like MLB?

Edit: So that seems to do it, but obviously the players and everything are fictional. I guess there's just no way to use the files properly while having a real MLB setup. I'll fast-forward a game and make sure it's generating African-Americans from the US several years in the future and see if I can get by with the re-import feature. Either way, I'll definitely keep this in mind if I do a fictional league later.

The way I get this to work with the QS is to setup a fictional league (in my case I set my Indy leagues up first) start the universe (you can choose what date you want to start by simming forward) and then import the QS (after you convert it to a template) as a template and it will work.

Only thing is the nicknames will still appear.

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 04-19-2014 at 05:57 PM.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Questdog (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #39
Questdog
Hall Of Famer
 
Questdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Posts: 12,024
Thanks: 1,873
Thanked 4,145x in 2,516 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthian23 View Post
Great. Thanks again for all your help tonight.

Edit: As an aside, what is the picture in your av from?

My avatar is a combination of an old Cincinnati Reds baseball card from the turn of the century and Ron Perlman in the movie "Quest for Fire", from which I take my screen name.

On the college baseball team, we all had "dog" nicknames and I was "Questdog" because I looked like I belonged in the cast of that movie, which was about cavemen.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Kobeck (05-15-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #40
txranger
Hall Of Famer
 
txranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: "Deep in the Heart Of"
Posts: 5,251
Thanks: 3,875
Thanked 14,205x in 4,210 posts
I have always admired your avatar... Very original... Nice to know how you came by it...
txranger is online now   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
OakDragon (04-28-2014), Questdog (04-19-2014)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:58 PM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2015 Out of the Park Developments