Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - Update OOTP 19.8 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

Perfect Team is LIVE!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the latest & greatest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 12-05-2018, 05:23 PM   #1
krpotter
Bat Boy

Thanked 7x in 4 posts
Random Historical Draft Problem

Hello Everyone,

I've taken a look through the forums and couldn't find a post on this issue yet. I've been creating random debut historical leagues from 1917-18 onward. Everything always starts fine, but at some point the amateur drafts end up completely empty, as in no new players are generated to be drafted. The year this happens varies every time. Once was in the 1933 season, another in 1925, and the game I started today went blank in the 1919-1920 season.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm not sure what I can do to fix it. It seems so random.
Attached Images
krpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:38 AM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

Thanked 8,583x in 2,892 posts
Ah, you're playing in the western league, I wonder if that's the issue. Their draft only selects players from the western provinces and states, so since the draft pool is completely randomized and relatively small in those years it may be empty of WCHL/PCHA-eligible players. I'll do some testing and see if that's it, and if there's a way we can avoid it happening.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
krpotter (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
krpotter
Bat Boy

Thanked 7x in 4 posts
Thanks for looking into this.This has happened playing as an NHL GM as well.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #4
krpotter
Bat Boy

Thanked 7x in 4 posts
Update with an NHL save file.
Attached Images
Old 12-06-2018, 07:51 PM   #5
Edster007
Major Leagues

Thanked 117x in 81 posts
I started a random debut in 1967 and the 1968 draft had no players. I am in August of 1978 currently and haven't had an issue since. I just assumed nobody was of age since it was the first random debut draft class.

BTW loving playing in this mode hope it gets developed further in future versions.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:31 AM   #6
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krpotter View Post
Update with an NHL save file.
Now that's weird, and I can't think of an explanation for it at that point in the NHL. And I haven't been able to replicate the empty western league draft, either. Can you upload the save and we'll try to see what's happened there? Uploading instructions here.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:41 AM   #7
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster007 View Post
I started a random debut in 1967 and the 1968 draft had no players. I am in August of 1978 currently and haven't had an issue since. I just assumed nobody was of age since it was the first random debut draft class.

BTW loving playing in this mode hope it gets developed further in future versions.
Ah, that's going to be caused by the draft age jumping to 20 in 1968. With a 67 start, the normal group of generated draft players won't be old enough for that first draft. The 75 draft will probably have the same problem with a 74 start. I think we'll have to adjust the starting-year random debut setup a bit to account for the years where there's an upward change in the draft age.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #8
Edster007
Major Leagues

Thanked 117x in 81 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Ah, that's going to be caused by the draft age jumping to 20 in 1968. With a 67 start, the normal group of generated draft players won't be old enough for that first draft. The 75 draft will probably have the same problem with a 74 start. I think we'll have to adjust the starting-year random debut setup a bit to account for the years where there's an upward change in the draft age.
I didn't think it was at 20 years old 1968. Michel Plasse was 19 and picked first overall in 1968. He turned 19 a couple of weeks prior to draft.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:09 PM   #9
Edster007
Major Leagues

Thanked 117x in 81 posts
Should have looked it prior to posting but Hockeydb has the year wrong he was born June 1 1948, not 1949 as they list.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=4314

https://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...plassmi01.html
Old 12-08-2018, 04:07 AM   #10
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster007 View Post
Should have looked it prior to posting but Hockeydb has the year wrong he was born June 1 1948, not 1949 as they list.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=4314

https://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...plassmi01.html
I'll get that changed in ours. Odd that HR had it correct, but the hockey databank project database, where our data for him most likely came from, had it wrong, they're usually the same. Unless I saw the mistaken hockeydb date and some point and 'corrected' it.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:01 PM   #11
krpotter
Bat Boy

Thanked 7x in 4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Now that's weird, and I can't think of an explanation for it at that point in the NHL. And I haven't been able to replicate the empty western league draft, either. Can you upload the save and we'll try to see what's happened there? Uploading instructions here.
I'll upload the files later today. Thank you!