Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.4.40 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

OOTP Baseball 20 - AVAILABLE NOW!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:15 PM   #1
StyxNCa
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 229x in 136 posts
ERA+ or ERA-

I never have been a fan of ERA+. I found this article and comments interesting. What do you think?

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/20...s-vs-era-minus
StyxNCa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,546x in 2,134 posts
Couldn't this thread go in talk sports?
BIG17EASY (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 11:33 AM   #3
TomVeal
All Star Reserve

Thanked 265x in 171 posts
To save others from wasting time on the linked article: The author thinks that ERA+ is useless because a high ERA+ is good, whereas pitchers want a low ERA. That difference confuses him. It might confuse a not-too-bright third grader, too.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
NoOne (02-12-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
cavebutter
All Star Starter

Thanked 561x in 342 posts
For the purposes of this game, I would prefer ERA- and I roll my own and use it offline. The only reason is that so many pitching stats are of the 'lower is better' variety, and when you're putting together visualizations, it's clearer to have everything going in the same direction.

Conceptually, the difference between + and - is pretty easy to wrap your head around.

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #5
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,538x in 836 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Couldn't this thread go in talk sports?
I've noticed a few more threads than usual pop up here that belong in Talk Sports. I wish the mods were more diligent with enforcing that.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Bluenoser (02-12-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 10:09 PM   #6
TomVeal
All Star Reserve

Thanked 265x in 171 posts
It seems to me that the usefulness of various stats is pertinent to playing OOTP.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
NoOne (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,765x in 1,426 posts
too many chiefs...

and, thanks for saving me the click, lol... if that's the position they took, that isn't even an argument.

the more complicated the metric, the less it specifically tells you. i like era+ over war, but they are both fundamentally flawed. war is trash. era- is just hte inverse? meh same thing to me. i think 200 being 2x as good is more intuitive than 50 being twice as good... it's a 100-scale, and that's how most people read percents. the whole thing about other pitching stats, key word 'other' are better if they are lower? omg, my brain hurts as i read that in the article.

i rely mostly on the fundamental and basic statistics (not neccessarily older and more used -- age and use is irrelevant to the decision). k/9 bb/9, babipag(huge sample needed for that one) etc i try to match them up to the forces of the code -- player ratings etc. imagine each hand on a oijie board is an effect/force in the game... the result is where it gets pushed.. just like any physics problem with multiple vectors of force to contend with. i try to learn each individual force and not get confused by the cumulative.

Last edited by NoOne; 02-12-2019 at 05:21 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote