Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

OOTP Baseball 20 - AVAILABLE NOW!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the latest & greatest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 02-16-2019, 08:31 AM   #1
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 188x in 75 posts
Should free agents demand bigger contracts?

For example Erik Karlsson signed 6 years 10,9 mio coming of a career best, Norris winning campaign. He is predicted to get 8 years 11 Million in real life.

Jeff Skinner signed for 3 years 4,6 mio. Scoring less than irl this year, but still recording a career high in points. Some say Buffalo will offer him 8x8 mio.

Bobrovsky got 6 years, 7,8 mio. He was way better than he is irl this year. Still it seems likely somebody will give him 8 years with a higher salary.

Auston Matthews resgined for 4 years, 5mio. Irl he singed 11mio/5years.

Artemi Panarin resigned for 5years/6,7 mio, after a 40goal/90 point season. Without checking my sources, such player would get way more irl.

The list goes on, generally I feel the free agents demand too little in money and especially term. What you think?
geisterhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
MikeMontrealer
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 4x in 3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterhome View Post
For example Erik Karlsson signed 6 years 10,9 mio coming of a career best, Norris winning campaign. He is predicted to get 8 years 11 Million in real life.

Jeff Skinner signed for 3 years 4,6 mio. Scoring less than irl this year, but still recording a career high in points. Some say Buffalo will offer him 8x8 mio.

Bobrovsky got 6 years, 7,8 mio. He was way better than he is irl this year. Still it seems likely somebody will give him 8 years with a higher salary.

Auston Matthews resgined for 4 years, 5mio. Irl he singed 11mio/5years.

Artemi Panarin resigned for 5years/6,7 mio, after a 40goal/90 point season. Without checking my sources, such player would get way more irl.

The list goes on, generally I feel the free agents demand too little in money and especially term. What you think?
I think it works pretty well. Some players end up being a bargain, others demand way too much - I had a LW with 40 point seasons ask for $8M a year on a renewal and had to ship him out.

Also remember you can't directly compare real-life contracts with the game because there's no inflation in the game. In real-life, teams can offer larger contracts than normal because the assumption (which so far has been validated) is that the back-end of a long contract will be a smaller percentage of a larger cap (ie someone who signs for $10M a year for 7 years might take up around 12.5% of the cap now, but only 10% of the cap in year 7).

To account for that difference I increased the cap in my universe to $85M, but it's not necessary. I do enjoy the need to make decisions and have a wide variety of players and the need to infuse rookie talent to balance the books.
MikeMontrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
geisterhome (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 07:06 PM   #3
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Thanked 367x in 185 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMontrealer View Post
I think it works pretty well. Some players end up being a bargain, others demand way too much - I had a LW with 40 point seasons ask for $8M a year on a renewal and had to ship him out.

Also remember you can't directly compare real-life contracts with the game because there's no inflation in the game. In real-life, teams can offer larger contracts than normal because the assumption (which so far has been validated) is that the back-end of a long contract will be a smaller percentage of a larger cap (ie someone who signs for $10M a year for 7 years might take up around 12.5% of the cap now, but only 10% of the cap in year 7).

To account for that difference I increased the cap in my universe to $85M, but it's not necessary. I do enjoy the need to make decisions and have a wide variety of players and the need to infuse rookie talent to balance the books.
Also every game you start is going to be different. What a player wants in one game may not be the same as another. One time it might be a 2 year contract, the next he may want 6. It does change.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:48 AM   #4
JeffR
FHM Producer

Thanked 8,872x in 3,042 posts
One other thing: the game is intentionally a little conservative with contract values. We learned very early on that erring in the other direction led to big problems. If the aggregate amount of available cap space around the league dries up because all the teams are overspending, the teams will start to do very strange things to stay under the cap, like burying a good player in the minors and replacing him with a minimum wage guy to get the $375,000 in cap savings that creates. And that amount is rarely enough to help, so they do it multiple times.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
geisterhome (02-17-2019), toque (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 05:23 PM   #5
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 188x in 75 posts
Ok so I get the thing with the money, but still shouldn't some players ask for longer term deals? Especially those good 28,29 year old players. Like most them accepting often 3 year deals doesn't seem realistic. I really don't think its off by much but still.

Examples, real life, from last 2 years, all solid to good players, no real stars:

James Neal 30, 5 years
Alzner 28 5 years
Radulov 30, 5 years
Shattenkirk 28, 4 years
Perron 30, 4 years
Van riemsdyk 29, 5 years
Radulov 30 5 years

Guys in that mold in my recent save:
Silfverberg 3, years
Skinner, 3 years
Simmonds, 3 years
Lee, 3 years
Gardiner, 3 years
Nelson 3 years
And the deals don't look like they took money over term.

Only guy on that level that got smth longer was Jordan Eberle, he got 5 years.
I'd have liked to see 1-2 more of those getting 5 years, 1-2 getting 4 years.

On top of that those real stars like Karlsson, Bobrovsky, Panarin, all of them got 6 year deals in my most recent save. I feel some of them will get longer deals in real life in the upcoming free agency.
If in game one of them got 6 another 7 and one an 8 year deal would have been closer to real life.

Last edited by geisterhome; 02-17-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:31 AM   #6
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 188x in 75 posts
coming back to this one more time, anybody with thoughts on the contract duration? would a slight increase in the contract length UFA are getting be realistic?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk