Home | Webstore
Latest News: Update OOTP 19.5 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now - FHM 4 Available

OOTP Baseball 19 is Available Now!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2018, 01:19 PM   #21
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments
 
Lukas Berger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lille, France.
Posts: 9,974
Thanks: 16,408
Thanked 7,358x in 3,724 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelAbbot View Post
To give an update, in the save for which I started this thread, year after year I can see at least one 55 or 60 FV in the rule 5 draft, and they develop into true starter/all-star level players after 1-2 years MLB experience. So it was not a fluke to see good players left unprotected.

I since started Challenge mode again in a brand new save. For the first 3 rule 5 drafts, I didn't see high end prospects
We've been keeping an eye out for this in testing of OOTP19 and have not seen it or gotten any reports of it happening. In fact, specifically anyone who's checked has said that it's not happening.

So I do wonder if there was something borked in that league causing that to happen.

It doesn't seem to be a general problem from what I can see.
__________________


lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Pre-order Out of the Park Baseball 19!

Buy Franchise Hockey Manager 4!

Found a bug? Have a technical issue? Please post here and/or file a support ticket here.

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:27 PM   #22
DelAbbot
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1x in 1 post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
We've been keeping an eye out for this in testing of OOTP19 and have not seen it or gotten any reports of it happening. In fact, specifically anyone who's checked has said that it's not happening.

So I do wonder if there was something borked in that league causing that to happen.

It doesn't seem to be a general problem from what I can see.
Both times I saw this, I started off with expansion (30 to 32 teams). But that should have the opposite effect of roster crunch...
DelAbbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:52 PM   #23
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments
 
Lukas Berger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lille, France.
Posts: 9,974
Thanks: 16,408
Thanked 7,358x in 3,724 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelAbbot View Post
Both times I saw this, I started off with expansion (30 to 32 teams). But that should have the opposite effect of roster crunch...
Yeah, you'd certainly think so.

I have a long term test sim in OOTP that expanded three times (6 teams total) and I don't see this happening.
__________________


lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Pre-order Out of the Park Baseball 19!

Buy Franchise Hockey Manager 4!

Found a bug? Have a technical issue? Please post here and/or file a support ticket here.

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:51 PM   #24
majesty95
All Star Starter
 
majesty95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,511
Thanks: 445
Thanked 229x in 158 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
you're saying it's relative to overall, but it's not calculated that way in game. it is based on the potential of each rating etc etc. nothign to do with current ability at all. it's a ceiling. moving it based on current ability changes means it's relative. it doesn't exhibit that behavior in game in a 1:1 fashion.

I would argue the concept you describe is more about their current ability not potential. current ability is about work and effort with a ceiling of DNA.

more importantly in RL that doesn't mesh with biology - DNA doesn't change. the things that cause the differences are their own exclusive forces that act on dna. if you could reverse it (like aging), which with the right tech we 100% can, they'd stil have teh same potential due to their DNA. our lack of medical knowledge has nothign to do with real potential.

another reason why ootp clearly doesn't calculate it relative to current ability:
why doesn't aging always reduce potential along with overall? sometimes it reduces current ability but potentials all stay the same... how could his potential stay the same if he can't reach it anymore??? well, because it's potential and not anyhting to do with what influences current ability.

you damage your body, you still have the genetic potential to be all that you were before the injury... the injury is current ability, not potential. aging is damaging of the body too.
I'm not sure how the game calculates it exactly so this could all be irrelevant. However, I'm kind of in the same boat as the others. Potential is an arbitrary rating. In my view, you tag a player with A+ potential based on what you saw of him in amateur play. Then, as you see him more and more in professional play, that may cause you to change your view of what his potential is. Some guys, like Josh Hamilton, may be able to fulfill that potential with the right set of circumstances. Others, like Brien Taylor, may get injured which could significantly reduce their potential. Or guys just wind up not being quite as good as you thought and, after awhile, you downgrade their potential because you realize you overvalued them to begin with. Again, I have no idea if its similar in game but that is how I view it and would expect it to work.
majesty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:26 AM   #25
NoOne
Hall Of Famer
 
NoOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 5,059
Thanks: 505
Thanked 1,342x in 1,084 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty95 View Post
I'm not sure how the game calculates it exactly so this could all be irrelevant. However, I'm kind of in the same boat as the others. Potential is an arbitrary rating. In my view, you tag a player with A+ potential based on what you saw of him in amateur play. Then, as you see him more and more in professional play, that may cause you to change your view of what his potential is. Some guys, like Josh Hamilton, may be able to fulfill that potential with the right set of circumstances. Others, like Brien Taylor, may get injured which could significantly reduce their potential. Or guys just wind up not being quite as good as you thought and, after awhile, you downgrade their potential because you realize you overvalued them to begin with. Again, I have no idea if its similar in game but that is how I view it and would expect it to work.
okay, so you think someone has high potential and later shown not to have it... i'd say that's just human error -- real life or in game -- and not the player's potential changing. 1st round draft picks fail because they weren't as good as people thought... the key there is people thinking and not knowing.

tcr-related stuff is a unique exemption. can't fault ourselves when we are fooled by scouting inaccuracy or the TCR stick good and bad.

you can always waste talent, too. examples like josh hamilton and other crackheads are viable excuses as to why they didn't meet potential... these guys can often show their ability before they fizzle... need money to be a super drug addicts like hamilton, gooden, strawberry, caminiti .. et al.

That stuff gets expensive. again, they didn't lose potential, they chose not to reach it or maintain it. as far as most players cause of not making it -- it's not drug abuse or poor choices.. they just aren't good enough. that's a hard pill to swallow when every kid nowadays is told they are super special, lol.

it's hubris to think it's the athletes fault for not making it (excluding the retards similar to the ones named above - far outweighed by the ~1000 every year that won't make it after being drafted), when we are so clearly wretched at predicting future sucess at those ages. in the nfl, hitting on 50% of your draft picks leads to great things. baseball is even more of a crapshoot.

how can anyone consider themselves good at player evaluation when you are wrong more times than not. relatively speaking, they are "good" if they are above the baseline, of course, but hitting on such a low % should keep it in perspective. "we" are objectively bad at it.

potential shouldn't change at all -- logically -- even though that's not exactly how it works in game... it mostly works this way for good reason. whether you work out or not, their is a ceiling to how much your specific body can build up muscle based on how much testosterone you produce and other various factors... you can reach potential by eating well, but eating well does not change your potential.. etc etc. not developing doesn't change your potential it just means you didn't put in the work to develop. potential is just theory. real life often falls short of theoretical yield -- due to human error or environment related.

back in game:
overal and potential are the exact same proportions of the various factors. running speed / defensive factors and things that don't have a "potential" rating are just re-used as is. don't need to know the equation. you can verify this in editor without the exact equation in hand. you can even deduce the equation very easily this way too... although, a few more datapoints needed. it's not hidden or unknown to us... its' apparent and waiting for us. the only way they could "hide" it is to have something not visible that is part of the equation... and that would be obvious too, so more than 1 thing would need to be hidden from view.

there's a smaller scope of potential that relates to what you are saying, i guess. any ab has the potential of a HR, but a low potential power guy has no hope of ever hitting 500hr. any small sample can deviate greatly from what is normal.

Last edited by NoOne; 02-25-2018 at 12:32 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:25 PM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2015 Out of the Park Developments