Home | Webstore
Latest News: Update OOTP 19.6 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now - FHM 4 Available

OOTP Baseball 19 is Available Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:22 PM   #61
knightdreamer2k
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 42x in 33 posts
I think Cleveland had to do it because with the current roster they were going no where quick. It seems to be more of a team, so we will see how all the parts fit and if they are able to make another finals run. Cleveland also got themselves ready for the post Lebron era, and I have to applaud them for the way they did it.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #62
ohiodevil
All Star Starter

Thanked 420x in 286 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
Cleveland has pretty much traded their entire roster for an entirely new roster
But I don't think they will be any better and James is out the door anyways.
Truly rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Have to disagree, on paper they may have not gotten better but they got rid of guys who just did not fit (IT, Crowder and Rose) and guys who just were not helping (Shumpert). The only one I am going to be sad to see go is Frye. Thomas was not a good fit here because he has not played with a real alpha and did not know how to mesh or maybe that is the type of player he is.

The Cavs got much younger and more athletic, which they sorely lacked and this could breath some life back into Lebron and the rest (all five) of the guys who were here at the end of last season.

I still don't get why everyone thinks Lebron is leaving, sure he could go wherever he wants and he makes that team an instant playoff team, but at 33yrs old, where is he going to go that gives him a realistic shot to win a title?

I don't see him going to the West since the East is really just the Cavs, Celtics and Raptors right now....so maybe the 76ers, but beyond them no one else has a shot. The Lakers? Even if they sign Paul George or another superstar, what else do they have on their roster that would entice Lebron to come? They would have to trade away almost everyone to get the kind of bench that Lebron likes to have, and that is more old players....Rockets? Maybe....but there are not enough balls to go around for CP3, Harden and Lebron.

Anything can happen, but I just don't see a realistic place for him to go....at least not right now.....and that being said, no one saw Miami as a landing spot in 2010. If I had to put money on it, I would say he resigns with the Cavs after they trade the player they take with the Brooklyn pick for an unknown star at the draft (i.e. George last year).
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:10 PM   #63
Antonin
All Star Starter

Thanked 363x in 230 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodevil View Post
Have to disagree, on paper they may have not gotten better but they got rid of guys who just did not fit (IT, Crowder and Rose) and guys who just were not helping (Shumpert). The only one I am going to be sad to see go is Frye. Thomas was not a good fit here because he has not played with a real alpha and did not know how to mesh or maybe that is the type of player he is.

The Cavs got much younger and more athletic, which they sorely lacked and this could breath some life back into Lebron and the rest (all five) of the guys who were here at the end of last season.

I still don't get why everyone thinks Lebron is leaving, sure he could go wherever he wants and he makes that team an instant playoff team, but at 33yrs old, where is he going to go that gives him a realistic shot to win a title?...
For a lot of people who aren't from Cleveland, the old "where will LeBron go?" discussion is just fun to have. We've talked about this here before, but some people (on this forum and elsewhere) just can't understand why anyone would want to live in Akron and/or play in a cold, snowy,"small market" like Cleveland.

I agree that the guys who were traded just did not seem to fit. I really think part of our problem was the coaching staff and the system(s) of offense and defense we were playing. Why was Crowder such a defensive headache when he played against us, but so ineffective when he played for us? Why did we take so long to figure out how to use Kevin Love?

RIP David Bowie [January 8, 1947 - January 10, 2016]

RIP Mike Hudson [1956-October 27, 2017]
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:14 PM   #64
msupoke
All Star Reserve

Thanked 310x in 182 posts
Houston seems like the best place for him to win a title, but I am not sure it would be a good move for Houston.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:45 AM   #65
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 469x in 329 posts
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...llegations-nba

Tut tut.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:02 PM   #66
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter

Thanked 278x in 202 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
It's been a bad week for Cuban. I'm surprised he was only fined $600000 for saying he told the team it was good to lose. He's my favorite owner in any sport. But I thought that was an offense worthy of suspension or even forcing him out of the NBA. We all know they sometimes tank. I even encourage some franchises to do it in certain situations. But you don't tell the public our best option is to lose.

As far as the harassment.....I don't see how the franchise has a leg to stand on here. One person getting accused multiple times by multiple people is a firing offense. This wasn't an owner. This was an employee. Inexcusable.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
ukhotstove (02-23-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 06:11 PM   #67
thehef
All Star Starter

Thanked 457x in 286 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
We all know they sometimes tank... But you don't tell the public our best option is to lose.
Well, if we all know it, what's the harm in acknowledging it? (The actual harm is...?) The only people who might get upset would be Cuban's own fans.

And I say this from the opposite perspective of not liking Cuban one bit.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:01 AM   #68
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
Well, if we all know it, what's the harm in acknowledging it? (The actual harm is...?) The only people who might get upset would be Cuban's own fans.

And I say this from the opposite perspective of not liking Cuban one bit.
It's the way you say it. Again, the product team sports is selling is competition. You don't come out front & say we aren't providing what we are selling. You say "we've made moves that will hopefully keep us competitive this year while setting us up for a future trophy in the long run." You open the entire industry to a fraud accusation. Cuban can't defend himself with that quote if he were to be taken to court. It's the equivalent of telling your wife that dress she can't fit didn't shrink. She knows she gained weight. She needs assurance from your end that she is still attractive. Fans know the Mavs aren't pushing for the playoffs. They want to be assured they are trying to win a title.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-23-2018, 02:19 AM   #69
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's been a bad week for Cuban. I'm surprised he was only fined $600000 for saying he told the team it was good to lose. He's my favorite owner in any sport. But I thought that was an offense worthy of suspension or even forcing him out of the NBA. We all know they sometimes tank. I even encourage some franchises to do it in certain situations. But you don't tell the public our best option is to lose.

As far as the harassment.....I don't see how the franchise has a leg to stand on here. One person getting accused multiple times by multiple people is a firing offense. This wasn't an owner. This was an employee. Inexcusable.
Cuban had to have known what was going on, he’s hands on for a start of according to his own words. I mean two assaults on two employees he surely had to have heard about that.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:12 AM   #70
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter

Quote:
Cuban had to have known what was going on, he’s hands on for a start of according to his own words. I mean two assaults on two employees he surely had to have heard about that.
I agree. I find it hard to believe. What is especially damning is the fact women were warning each other not to get in an elevator w/Ussery. This was during almost 20 years w/the Mavs. Then he leaves for a job w/Under Armor & his cut loose w/in a couple months for what looks like harrassment there.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-23-2018, 02:45 PM   #71
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Will we see Cuban getting kicked out of the NBA like the Clippers owner? Specially if it’s found that he knew what was going on.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #72
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 765x in 443 posts
Quote:
Will we see Cuban getting kicked out of the NBA like the Clippers owner? Specially if it’s found that he knew what was going on.

If it found out that he knew and did not act then yes. The NBA is a progressive league and the last thing they want is this happening especially in todays climate.

But it depends on who in that front office knew what. It is a blight on the league and the sport and needs to be cleaned out after an investigation of who was doing what and who knew about it.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:57 PM   #73
thehef
All Star Starter

Thanked 457x in 286 posts
Quote:
It's the way you say it. Again, the product team sports is selling is competition. You don't come out front & say we aren't providing what we are selling. You say "we've made moves that will hopefully keep us competitive this year while setting us up for a future trophy in the long run." You open the entire industry to a fraud accusation. Cuban can't defend himself with that quote if he were to be taken to court. It's the equivalent of telling your wife that dress she can't fit didn't shrink. She knows she gained weight. She needs assurance from your end that she is still attractive. Fans know the Mavs aren't pushing for the playoffs. They want to be assured they are trying to win a title.
I hear you. But if it's common knowledge that the team is in fact tanking in order to better position itself from the future (sacrificing this year in an effort to try to win a title soon), I just don't see what the harm is. More than anything, the fine is symbolic, because had the NBA done nothing, then the story would've been "the NBA basically admits it endorses tanking." So $600k of Cuban's money makes that story line pretty much go away... So I guess I have come around to the other position
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:56 PM   #74
MBarrett
All Star Reserve

Thanked 339x in 193 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
But it depends on who in that front office knew what. It is a blight on the league and the sport and needs to be cleaned out after an investigation of who was doing what and who knew about it.
Cuban has said many times that this was on him and no-one else in the organization was to blame. This situation may provide the perfect opening for the league to get rid of him.
MBarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:17 PM   #75
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBarrett View Post
Cuban has said many times that this was on him and no-one else in the organization was to blame. This situation may provide the perfect opening for the league to get rid of him.
From the article from SI it was a culture of harassments and sometimes abuse. I don't think one person can create a 'culture'.
I understand him wanting to protect his front office but from the article it sounds like this was a problem with possibly 20 or more front office people who if they are still in the league need to have their employment terminated.

If it comes out that Cuban did indeed know this was going on and did nothing or covered it up he should sell the team.
But I am not going to use that one line against him.

And I am sure the NBA itself already has an investigation underway because this is the last kind of story they want about one of their franchises.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:34 PM   #76
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

The Pelicans have a really messed up ownership situation.
Its unclear who exactly owns the team and who is captain of the ship.
And since it's unclear who is in charge who knows if they will be sold and have a competent ownership put into place.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:58 PM   #77
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter

I'm wondering if it is going to complicate the Saints' negotiations w/Drew Brees as well.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 04-05-2018, 12:56 PM   #78
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter

Kyrie out for the season.

I was looking fwd to a C's v. Cavs playoff round.

Is it my imagination, or has this year seen more superstars missing significant time during the season?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 04-05-2018, 02:11 PM   #79
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Kyrie out for the season.

I was looking fwd to a C's v. Cavs playoff round.

Is it my imagination, or has this year seen more superstars missing significant time during the season?

I think its just regency bias. I had a cursory look at the past 5 years and nothing stood out.
There have been more 'weird' injury stories with Fultz and Leonard being medically cleared to play but remaining out and us as fans knowing very little behind what is going on.

But there are significant injuries every year. I always get a kick out of OOTP, FM, NBA 2K or whatever fanbases complaining that injuries are too high.
Have they every followed an actual team !?
Some teams have the year from hell where they are devastated by injuries.

And this Irving injury is not exactly new. He has been battling knee soreness for almost three seasons now and there was a rumor that part of his exit from Cleveland is that he wanted to have surgery during the season but the Cavs insisted that he not.
I don't know how true that is but he has been battling knee pain for a long while now. I hope this last surgery gets it cleared up for him and he can return for training camp as close to 100% as possible.
He is a fun player and the league needs their stars healthy.

Not to derail their thread and it may be my own regency bias. But it seemed like the NFL this past season was slammed by injuries to star players.
I think at one point if you did a list of general consensus of the top 15 players in the league 11 of them were out for the season.
So much so that it may of contributed to some of the ratings dip that the league saw.

This just complicates the East more. I don't feel that strong about the Cavs. They are still a defensive mess and I don't enjoy watching them play basketball.
But I don't see much else out there to challenge them. Toronto is really good but their best players have the habit of pulling down their pants and taking big hot dumps right in the middle of the bed during the playoffs.
And if the Raptors lose game one of the 1st round for the 45th year in a row then they might need to pump benzodiazipams into the Toronto water supply.

I think this playoffs will be very fun to watch until the Finals. I think the Warriors and Rockets are so much better than any team in the east that we could see a sweep in the Finals.
Then you have the second tier of west teams like Portland, OKC and Utah that I feel are better than the east teams as well.

Lebron is still Lebron until age eventually catches up to him. But it feels like the team plan is to just try and score 130 a game for four rounds and history has proven that to be a poor track record of success.

Last edited by rudel.dietrich; 04-06-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #80
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter

The West has the potential to be lumberjack match. But I still like GS if they get healthy. Regular season means nothing to you when you are a veteran team used to making the finals. And D'Antoni/Harden/Paul aren't synonymous w/deep playoff runs. If they run into the Spurs or Thunder in the 2nd rd, they could get bounced.

In the East, I think Toronto might be a different squad this year. They have gotten to the porch, then knocked on the door. Now they could be ready to open it. (Course, I thought Arizona was ready to finally make make the Final 4. So what do I know?) Cleveland is there to be had. LBJ has not gotten his customary rest. They might play Miami in the 1st rd and they have never won there. Philly is too young to realize they are too young. So they are stupid enough to maybe go deeper than expected.

How good the Finals will be will depend on how much energy the Warriors or Rockets have to expend to get there. If they both have a deep series in the 2nd round & conf finals, it could be closer than most think. If GS plays less than 10 to reach the West finals and is injury free, you might as well close up shop.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance