Home | Webstore
Latest News: Update OOTP 19.6 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now - FHM 4 Available

OOTP Baseball 19 is Available Now!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #21
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer
 
Déjà Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 6,324
Thanks: 1,317
Thanked 3,379x in 1,921 posts
I'm glad I checked and found where you guys had been talking about this Sisco thing. It's old news and I would not have wanted to start a new thread, but I thought I had seen the story appear someplace here.

The reason it occurred to me to bring this up again is because I ran across an article at Seamheads.com which I thought did a great job of defending Sisco and making the Twins look a bit foolish. After just a few such articles, I find myself becoming an Andrew Martin fan.

This for example. Hits it right on the head:
Quote:
Why is it a violation of the unwritten rules that Sisco tried to get on base during a late, out of hand game, but the Twins were in the right by shifting their fielders in an effort to get him out more easily? There is always concern in major league sports that teams are putting out maximum effort (see history of gambling, tanking, etc…). If anything, MLB should crack down on such talk that suggests that a player or team should effectively stand down because they happen to be losing by a wider margin.
__________________

- Bru


Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:44 PM   #22
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Reserve
 
Leo_The_Lip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 732
Thanks: 386
Thanked 307x in 207 posts
Max Patkin
Attached Images
Image 

Last edited by Leo_The_Lip; 04-19-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Leo_The_Lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:19 PM   #23
Jason
Hall Of Famer
 
Jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 3,808
Blog Entries: 3
Thanks: 700
Thanked 202x in 133 posts
The way I see this is that he's an employee of a company, that company has a dress code and as an employee he should follow it.

It's no different than if the job where you worked had a dress code that you were expected to follow.
__________________
PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: WORLD CHAMPIONS.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
drksd4848 (04-20-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 10:46 PM   #24
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 1,675
Thanks: 184
Thanked 278x in 202 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The way I see this is that he's an employee of a company, that company has a dress code and as an employee he should follow it.

It's no different than if the job where you worked had a dress code that you were expected to follow.
I respect the opinion.

I subscribe to the belief that just because you are allowed to do something doesn't mean you should. Out of all the things it takes to be a pro, am I really going to give a bunch of attention to how someone wears a hat? There is a reason the O's are letting kids in the park free. Cause they see MLB is losing the fans of tomorrow. And one of the factors is the old farts discouraging personality in the game. An unnecessary dress code is not the horse I'm going to hitch my wagon to.
__________________
If a man is guilty
4 what goes on inside of his mind,
then let me get the electric chair
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #25
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 1,675
Thanks: 184
Thanked 278x in 202 posts
https://sports.yahoo.com/astros-crui...044520142.html
__________________
If a man is guilty
4 what goes on inside of his mind,
then let me get the electric chair
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #26
Whoofe
Minors (Triple A)
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 240
Thanks: 147
Thanked 34x in 23 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post


I think Verlanders issue was more of a "if you were on my team, I'd sit your ass down and have a talk" type thing, than really being upset at the guy giving him a free out
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:08 AM   #27
Calvert98
Minors (Triple A)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 282
Thanks: 369
Thanked 64x in 46 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I respect the opinion.

There is a reason the O's are letting kids in the park free. Cause they see MLB is losing the fans of tomorrow.
Baseball will be fine, but I think you have hit on something: there should be some move to grow the fan-base.

For example, there should be at least some private-public partnerships with MLB teams to help a couple of the surrounding municipal Park & Rec departments with building out/renovating some little-league fields and providing some basic infrastructure. By its nature, it’s a rather “cheap” sport to set-up and support. It would cost “pennies” compared to the benefits: Good PR, good Political points, and mainly for MLB, helping foster a new generation’s interest in the sport.

Last edited by Calvert98; 04-24-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:58 PM   #28
Cod
Minors (Triple A)
 
Cod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 226
Thanks: 132
Thanked 94x in 60 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert98 View Post
For example, there should be at least some private-public partnerships with MLB teams to help a couple of the surrounding municipal Park & Rec departments with building out/renovating some little-league fields and providing some basic infrastructure. By its nature, it’s a rather “cheap” sport to set-up and support. It would cost “pennies” compared to the benefits: Good PR, good Political points, and mainly for MLB, helping foster a new generation’s interest in the sport.
MLB started this years ago w/ the "MLB urban initiative" (or whatever it's called). I've seen this play out first hand in the Dallas / Fort Worth area.

MLB needs to get more involved w/ Little League because travel baseball is slowly killing local recreation leagues.
__________________
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:46 PM   #29
Calvert98
Minors (Triple A)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 282
Thanks: 369
Thanked 64x in 46 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
MLB started this years ago w/ the "MLB urban initiative" (or whatever it's called). I've seen this play out first hand in the Dallas / Fort Worth area.

MLB needs to get more involved w/ Little League because travel baseball is slowly killing local recreation leagues.
Thanks.

Yea, I checked on this and there is little information...doesn't seem as comprehensive or direct as I suggested. I really couldn't find much information.

To your point, I completely agree. That is what I had in-mind. Some sort of direct support-private/public partnerships within their host cities and metro areas, to help construct truly decent facilities and initial infrastructure to support local rec leagues, through to High School.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Cod (05-06-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 06:31 PM   #30
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 1,675
Thanks: 184
Thanked 278x in 202 posts
Okay, maybe this one should be taught to play the "right way".
__________________
If a man is guilty
4 what goes on inside of his mind,
then let me get the electric chair
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #31
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 1,675
Thanks: 184
Thanked 278x in 202 posts
The Fun Police is ruining MLB
__________________
If a man is guilty
4 what goes on inside of his mind,
then let me get the electric chair
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Cod (05-06-2018)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 PM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2015 Out of the Park Developments