Home | Webstore
Latest News: Update OOTP 19.6 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now - FHM 4 Available

OOTP Baseball 19 is Available Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #21
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,379x in 1,921 posts
I'm glad I checked and found where you guys had been talking about this Sisco thing. It's old news and I would not have wanted to start a new thread, but I thought I had seen the story appear someplace here.

The reason it occurred to me to bring this up again is because I ran across an article at Seamheads.com which I thought did a great job of defending Sisco and making the Twins look a bit foolish. After just a few such articles, I find myself becoming an Andrew Martin fan.

This for example. Hits it right on the head:
Quote:
Why is it a violation of the unwritten rules that Sisco tried to get on base during a late, out of hand game, but the Twins were in the right by shifting their fielders in an effort to get him out more easily? There is always concern in major league sports that teams are putting out maximum effort (see history of gambling, tanking, etc…). If anything, MLB should crack down on such talk that suggests that a player or team should effectively stand down because they happen to be losing by a wider margin.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:44 PM   #22
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Reserve

Thanked 307x in 207 posts
Max Patkin
Attached Images

Last edited by Leo_The_Lip; 04-19-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Leo_The_Lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:19 PM   #23
Jason
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 202x in 133 posts
The way I see this is that he's an employee of a company, that company has a dress code and as an employee he should follow it.

It's no different than if the job where you worked had a dress code that you were expected to follow.
drksd4848 (04-20-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 10:46 PM   #24
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter

Thanked 278x in 202 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The way I see this is that he's an employee of a company, that company has a dress code and as an employee he should follow it.

It's no different than if the job where you worked had a dress code that you were expected to follow.
I respect the opinion.

I subscribe to the belief that just because you are allowed to do something doesn't mean you should. Out of all the things it takes to be a pro, am I really going to give a bunch of attention to how someone wears a hat? There is a reason the O's are letting kids in the park free. Cause they see MLB is losing the fans of tomorrow. And one of the factors is the old farts discouraging personality in the game. An unnecessary dress code is not the horse I'm going to hitch my wagon to.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #25
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter

https://sports.yahoo.com/astros-crui...044520142.html
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 04-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #26
Whoofe
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 34x in 23 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post

I think Verlanders issue was more of a "if you were on my team, I'd sit your ass down and have a talk" type thing, than really being upset at the guy giving him a free out
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:08 AM   #27
Calvert98
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 64x in 46 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I respect the opinion.

There is a reason the O's are letting kids in the park free. Cause they see MLB is losing the fans of tomorrow.
Baseball will be fine, but I think you have hit on something: there should be some move to grow the fan-base.

For example, there should be at least some private-public partnerships with MLB teams to help a couple of the surrounding municipal Park & Rec departments with building out/renovating some little-league fields and providing some basic infrastructure. By its nature, it’s a rather “cheap” sport to set-up and support. It would cost “pennies” compared to the benefits: Good PR, good Political points, and mainly for MLB, helping foster a new generation’s interest in the sport.

Last edited by Calvert98; 04-24-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:58 PM   #28
Cod
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 94x in 60 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert98 View Post
For example, there should be at least some private-public partnerships with MLB teams to help a couple of the surrounding municipal Park & Rec departments with building out/renovating some little-league fields and providing some basic infrastructure. By its nature, it’s a rather “cheap” sport to set-up and support. It would cost “pennies” compared to the benefits: Good PR, good Political points, and mainly for MLB, helping foster a new generation’s interest in the sport.
MLB started this years ago w/ the "MLB urban initiative" (or whatever it's called). I've seen this play out first hand in the Dallas / Fort Worth area.

MLB needs to get more involved w/ Little League because travel baseball is slowly killing local recreation leagues.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:46 PM   #29
Calvert98
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 64x in 46 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
MLB started this years ago w/ the "MLB urban initiative" (or whatever it's called). I've seen this play out first hand in the Dallas / Fort Worth area.

MLB needs to get more involved w/ Little League because travel baseball is slowly killing local recreation leagues.
Thanks.

Yea, I checked on this and there is little information...doesn't seem as comprehensive or direct as I suggested. I really couldn't find much information.

To your point, I completely agree. That is what I had in-mind. Some sort of direct support-private/public partnerships within their host cities and metro areas, to help construct truly decent facilities and initial infrastructure to support local rec leagues, through to High School.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Cod (05-06-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 06:31 PM   #30
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter

Okay, maybe this one should be taught to play the "right way".
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 05-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #31
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter

The Fun Police is ruining MLB
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance