Home | Webstore
Latest News: Update OOTP 19.6 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now - FHM 4 Available

OOTP Baseball 19 is Available Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:11 PM   #21
slic1149
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 156x in 62 posts
Just a question to ponder; If there was a box on the OOTP setup screen that said stadium advertising five million dollars, how many players would leave it unchecked on principle. Baseball thrives, first on talent, second on revenue.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:01 PM   #22
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,379x in 1,921 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
There's only one way to watch Baseball - on the radio.
A Gerald R. Ford fan, I see.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
thehef (04-23-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 08:19 AM   #23
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

By the way, I would bet a good amount of money that we will be seeing ads, real ads, in OOTPB someday soon.

- Bru

Thank you for this post:
actionjackson (06-11-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 09:44 AM   #24
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,336x in 848 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
By the way, I would bet a good amount of money that we will be seeing ads, real ads, in OOTPB someday soon.
The necessary code is already in place. All that's needed is for someone to be willing to advertise.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:36 AM   #25
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,287x in 1,988 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
The necessary code is already in place. All that's needed is for someone to be willing to advertise.
When did you start coding OOTP?
Old 04-22-2018, 11:16 AM   #26
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
When did you start coding OOTP?
It does not take a programmer to figure out what the contents of this folder can be used for in the future.
Attached Images

- Bru

Old 04-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #27
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2,944x in 1,715 posts
Quote:
It does not take a programmer to figure out what the contents of this folder can be used for in the future.
The real question is, when I subscribe to see Pepsi, Allstate, and W.B. Mason on the outfield walls, what do the Raccoons get in exchange? We could use some pitching. And hitting. Oh, and a GM. Foremost a GM.

Meeets!
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Old 04-23-2018, 11:14 AM   #28
Karax268
Bat Boy

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
I don't mind ads. I barely even see them to be honest.
As someone said earlier, this is probably because I'm european and adds have been part of soccer forever.
as long as they don't interupt the actual game, I couldn't care less about them.
Karax268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #29
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,996x in 2,076 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Okay I have a question and it kind of goes with the subject of this thread, so rather than start a whole new thread I will ask it here. This year I decided to pay the $19 for the MLB At Bat app, so if I wanted to, I could listen to the Tigers radio broadcast. Been awhile since I listened to games on the radio, as I live in Shreveport and we don't have access to a major league teams broadcasts.

So, I'm listening to the Tigers and they have all the normal commercials between innings. But, during the broadcast Price and Dickerson keep doing ads as well. I know yesterday I heard one for Xfinity. I had another teams game on earlier this year and heard the same deal during that broadcast. Is this something new? Just seemed strange hearing ad's being read by the broadcasters.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:49 PM   #30
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,996x in 2,076 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Well, I found an old Ernie Harwell broadcast on YouTube from game 5 of the AL playoff series. Bottom of the first, they did station identification and then Ernie read a ad for Art Vann Furniture. So, that answers my question. I'm going out now to cut my lawn.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
actionjackson (06-11-2018), Westheim (04-24-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #31
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 4,430x in 2,052 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I'm going out now to cut my lawn.
Be sure to tell those darn kids to get off of it first.

My Fictional Dynasty: Orcin's Story ; The Sequel: Orcin Returns ; The Conclusion: Orcin's Brave New World

FREE THE MINOR LEAGUE DATABASE!!
Orcin is online now   Reply With Quote
4 thanks for this post:
actionjackson (06-11-2018), David Watts (04-23-2018), Galeg (04-23-2018), Westheim (04-24-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #32
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,287x in 1,988 posts
Quote:
Who's Gerald R. Ford?
Old 04-30-2018, 05:49 PM   #33
Antonin
All Star Starter

Thanked 363x in 230 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I can understand your frustration if they bother you. Once you truly SEE them, it's all you can see. I've never been bothered by them because I just tune them out mentally but I've had other situations where things like this just drove me bat crap crazy.
I hate the ads. Here in Cleveland when the Indians play I always have to switch to something else for an inning or two when the ads for local hospitals and "cancer centers" come up.

We have suffered too much heartache in my family because of that disease that begins with the letter "C". I'm sure as $%#@ not going to look at the word while I'm watching Lindor batting or Kluber pitching. It drives me absolutely crazy.

Ditto for the TV ads during Indians and Cavs games. The Cleveland Clinic has been running a really obnoxious ad campaign for years. Smiling doctors, smiling, bald-headed chemo patients. I always keep the remote handy and switch when the commercials come on. Sometimes I just turn to European soccer and forget about watching my local sports teams.

RIP David Bowie [January 8, 1947 - January 10, 2016]

RIP Mike Hudson [1956-October 27, 2017]

Last edited by Antonin; 04-30-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:19 PM   #34
pilight
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 112x in 80 posts
The ads don't bother me, but the pitch zone is an abomination. Leaving aside its inaccuracy, it represents the strike zone as two dimensional. The strike zone is three dimensional and it's a strike if the ball touches any part of it. An eephus can come down through the top of the zone and be a strike. The back-door slider is so named because it hits the back of the zone and not the front.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:52 PM   #35
psd
Major Leagues

Thanked 158x in 73 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drksd4848 View Post
I choose the Red Sox because they have become the most egregious of all:

but that ad money is lining pockets. I'd bet it's not going at ALL to salaries.
Yeah. Except that whole "Red Sox have the highest payroll in baseball thing. So saying it "doesn't go to salaries at "all"" is ridiculous. If you would have taken all of one minute to do the most basic research you would have found out that the Yankees rake in over $600 million in revenues. Red Sox? $453 million. INCLUDING the ad revenues.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...teams-in-2010/

They simply are doing what they can to stay as competitive as possible with a team whose resources they can't and never will match. What should they do? Not take in revenues any way they can and field a clearly inferior team so they don't offend YOU? Or try to maximize their revenues so they can remain as competitive as possible with their limitations? I don't particularly like it either. But reality is they will never be able to match the NY juggernaut in revenues. It's impossible. Unfortunately it's a necessary evil. And I am not taking issue with you hating the ads. I do however take issue with the fact you singled out Boston, who is actually one of the teams that DO put revenues into their salaries. to claim otherwise is wrong. That's the issue I have. Sounds more like an anti Red Sox thing than an anti-ad thing.

Don Henley
psd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:06 PM   #36
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 5,036x in 3,080 posts
Quote:
It's a great quote. I've always watched baseball on the radio.

RichW

So much for personality. Albert Belle, a complete nut job was never traded and was the highest paid player in the game, twice!

#Alternativefacts=lies
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #37
RubeBaker
Major Leagues

Thanked 226x in 111 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaus2 View Post
The title of this thread is very clickbait-esque. All it needs is a sinker like "REASON SIX WILL SHOCK YOU!!!!"
Or "you won't believe what Nomar Garciaparra looks like now!"
RubeBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Old 06-10-2018, 09:06 PM   #38
mitchkenn
All Star Starter

Thanked 896x in 572 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonin View Post
I hate the ads. Here in Cleveland when the Indians play I always have to switch to something else for an inning or two when the ads for local hospitals and "cancer centers" come up.

We have suffered too much heartache in my family because of that disease that begins with the letter "C". I'm sure as $%#@ not going to look at the word while I'm watching Lindor batting or Kluber pitching. It drives me absolutely crazy.

Ditto for the TV ads during Indians and Cavs games. The Cleveland Clinic has been running a really obnoxious ad campaign for years. Smiling doctors, smiling, bald-headed chemo patients. I always keep the remote handy and switch when the commercials come on. Sometimes I just turn to European soccer and forget about watching my local sports teams.

i relate and understand perfectly. besides the Cancer treatment ads, drug companies now run ads to the point i turn off the game and look up the final scores on my phone-app when i get up in the morning. like you, i've had enough of this stuff hit personally i don't need them to remind me.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #39
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2,759x in 1,678 posts
Baseball (and all pro sports) have always, always, always been big business. It didn't just happen in the last thirty to forty years, it's always been there, perhaps not as in your face, but still there. It's just the way it is. Either find a way to ignore the advertising and enjoy the beauty of the game or turn it off. It's not going away any time soon, and it will probably become even more pervasive (as you suggested in your OP, probably the jerseys are next).
Away from the swollen city breeze, garbage bag trees
Whispers of disease and the acts of enormity
And lower me slowly and sadly and properly
Get Ry Cooder to sing my eulogy"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #40
slic1149
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 156x in 62 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Baseball (and all pro sports) have always, always, always been big business. It didn't just happen in the last thirty to forty years, it's always been there, perhaps not as in your face, but still there. It's just the way it is. Either find a way to ignore the advertising and enjoy the beauty of the game or turn it off. It's not going away any time soon, and it will probably become even more pervasive (as you suggested in your OP, probably the jerseys are next).
I would think ads on jerseys would have be negotiated with the players union.