Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - Update OOTP 19.8 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

World Series Special! OOTP 19 is 75% Off Until Nov. 1!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

View Poll Results: Should Joe Mauer be a HOF?
Yes, no doubt 14 40.00%
Not a chance 8 22.86%
He needs to play 14 more years, before I can decide 3 8.57%
Monkey rodeo 10 28.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2018, 06:59 PM   #1
AnotherAlias
Hall Of Famer
 
AnotherAlias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Allfvckedupistan
Posts: 4,172
Thanks: 166
Thanked 83x in 63 posts
Joe Mauer...HOF yay, or nay?

What's your opinion?
__________________
Why would ANYONE vote for a Reality TV game show host?

POTUS =
Piece
Of
Totally
Useless
Sh*t
AnotherAlias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:38 PM   #2
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,467
Thanks: 909
Thanked 578x in 462 posts
Monkey Rodeo because he is not there yet but could be.
__________________
You mock me, therefore I am
My wife
TGH-Adfabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:14 AM   #3
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 1,987
Thanks: 220
Thanked 336x in 248 posts
As of now, no. But the choices are terrible. I don;t say there is zero chance. And I don't think he needs to play another decade and a half before I say yes.

IMO, when you factor in the era he is playing in, he doesn't have enough power. Maybe in the 30's he would look better. But not in this century.
__________________
If a man is guilty
4 what goes on inside of his mind,
then let me get the electric chair
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
The Game (05-21-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #4
mirrf
All Star Starter
 
mirrf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bay Area, Ca
Posts: 1,770
Thanks: 730
Thanked 304x in 233 posts
2000 hits and a .300 average for primarily a catcher, I would lean yes. He's in the top 15 catchers of all time, arguably in the top 10.

He's comparable to Buster Posey. Sure, Posey is better, but they are in the same ballpark.
__________________
The only place to get reliable, unbiased political news is on an online baseball forum.
mirrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #5
Airdrop01
All Star Starter
 
Airdrop01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lenexa, KS / Wilson, WY
Posts: 1,313
Thanks: 1,138
Thanked 681x in 350 posts
Ummmm.... he hasn’t been a catcher for a long time. Like 5 years.

And it’s the Hall of Fame. Not the Hall of Pretty Good.

No.
__________________
Airdrop01 is online now   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
Cod (05-20-2018), The Game (05-21-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 05:56 PM   #6
Cod
Minors (Triple A)
 
Cod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 234
Thanks: 136
Thanked 96x in 61 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
Ummmm.... he hasnít been a catcher for a long time. Like 5 years.

And itís the Hall of Fame. Not the Hall of Pretty Good.

No.
This.
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:30 PM   #7
stiffy
Minors (Rookie Ball)
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 33
Thanks: 76
Thanked 13x in 10 posts
His run from 2005 through 2013 was too dominant for him not to get in IMO. Though if he played any position other than catcher, that's probably not the case.

His JAWS is 46.9 while the average HOF catcher's is 44.
stiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:20 PM   #8
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 1,987
Thanks: 220
Thanked 336x in 248 posts
According to baseball-reference, Mauer has 889 starts at C & 809 @ 1B/DH/OF. He hasn't been behind the plate since 2013. Not logged 100+ starts @ C since 2010. Looking at his numbers exclusively thru the prism of a catcher distorts the reality of his legitimacy as a HOF.
__________________
If a man is guilty
4 what goes on inside of his mind,
then let me get the electric chair
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
The Game (05-21-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #9
magnet 2.0
Minors (Single A)
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 70
Thanks: 6
Thanked 21x in 14 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffy View Post
His run from 2005 through 2013 was too dominant for him not to get in IMO. Though if he played any position other than catcher, that's probably not the case.

His JAWS is 46.9 while the average HOF catcher's is 44.
He's the #7 catcher of all-time by JAWS, and that doesn't take into account his time at 1B.
__________________
formerly John Madden and more formerly magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
"We'll always have penis."
magnet 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:02 PM   #10
Airdrop01
All Star Starter
 
Airdrop01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lenexa, KS / Wilson, WY
Posts: 1,313
Thanks: 1,138
Thanked 681x in 350 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnet 2.0 View Post
He's the #7 catcher of all-time by JAWS, and that doesn't take into account his time at 1B.
I donít even know what JAWS is, if it isnít a giant man eating shark that requires a bigger boat. But if what you say is true, then it must be contrived by the monkey step child of the lizard child of the troglodyte who came up with WAR.

No one who knows anything about actual baseball, versus computer nerd never played after high school if heís lucky statheads, would put Joe Mauer anywhere near #7 in all time catchers.

EDIT: I googled it. Apparently this tool created his ďtool to evaluate HOFĒ out of his vast expertise and experience in...wait for it.... NOT playing baseball. https://us.macmillan.com/author/jayjaffe/
__________________

Last edited by Airdrop01; 05-20-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Airdrop01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:11 PM   #11
Airdrop01
All Star Starter
 
Airdrop01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lenexa, KS / Wilson, WY
Posts: 1,313
Thanks: 1,138
Thanked 681x in 350 posts
I’ve got a metric for Jay Jaffe: DORKS. Damned Old Recalcitrants Killing Sports.

Jay is off the charts in this metric. He’s like, ya know, the best of all the weirdo baseball writers. He’s beating the hell out of George Will, Bill James. Not to mention actual baseball minds. I can only imagine what Thurman Munson would say to Jay. Lol.

Note you can buy Jay’s musings for a cool $26. Not to be confused with the Jay Jaffe who actually did play baseball at USC. He gives inspirational speeches, about overcoming cancer, etc. as opposed to making up stats and schilling snake oil.
__________________

Last edited by Airdrop01; 05-20-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Airdrop01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
The Game (05-21-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 10:12 PM   #12
Airdrop01
All Star Starter
 
Airdrop01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lenexa, KS / Wilson, WY
Posts: 1,313
Thanks: 1,138
Thanked 681x in 350 posts
.
__________________

Last edited by Airdrop01; 05-20-2018 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Double post
Airdrop01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:42 AM   #13
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer
 
damientheomen3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: with my army of orangutans
Posts: 2,476
Thanks: 1,176
Thanked 554x in 339 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
I donít even know what JAWS is, if it isnít a giant man eating shark that requires a bigger boat. But if what you say is true, then it must be contrived by the monkey step child of the lizard child of the troglodyte who came up with WAR.

No one who knows anything about actual baseball, versus computer nerd never played after high school if heís lucky statheads, would put Joe Mauer anywhere near #7 in all time catchers.

EDIT: I googled it. Apparently this tool created his ďtool to evaluate HOFĒ out of his vast expertise and experience in...wait for it.... NOT playing baseball. https://us.macmillan.com/author/jayjaffe/

Classic gatekeeper post. Guess I'll stop being a baseball fan, didn't know the rule of having to have played it to have an opinion.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by axezzy View Post
spotted an 11-run lead, then going into the 9th up by 8 and not a single out recorded (using three relief pitchers all warmed up), nine runs score... game over? nope, thank the demo for saving me $20 on the after the season special or/and another $35-40 on 14. I will NOT be purchasing this piece of crap!
You see, this guy here, he is that guy. Don't be that guy.


Join the VHL today!
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
HerbD (05-21-2018), Timofmars (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 08:02 AM   #14
Airdrop01
All Star Starter
 
Airdrop01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lenexa, KS / Wilson, WY
Posts: 1,313
Thanks: 1,138
Thanked 681x in 350 posts
Everyone gets an opinion, bro. Citing a made up stat, subjective in nature anyway (just because it’s a number doesn’t mean it’s not subjective, any more than the 5s or whatever we write on paper for players’ skills) made up by a guy who has no idea what it is like to catch 130 games in 9 months, for the purpose of proving the worthiness of an opinion, is where I must point out the absurdity of the argument.

Everyone still gets an opinion. But that means everyone does. Tell me why Mauer is the seventh (!!!!) best catcher of ALL TIME. Don’t cite a subjective made up number...especially from a guy like THAT, and say ipso facto he’s the seventh best catcher in the history of Baseball.

The dude is a writer, supposedly, and the best he can do is a number...which he MADE UP.... for his argument? That’s why I mock him.
__________________

Last edited by Airdrop01; 05-21-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Airdrop01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #15
TheMaus2
All Star Starter
 
TheMaus2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The OOTP Forums. Always.
Posts: 1,664
Blog Entries: 16
Thanks: 599
Thanked 317x in 252 posts
Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
Everyone gets an opinion, bro. Citing a made up stat, subjective in nature anyway (just because itís a number doesnít mean itís not subjective, any more than the 5s or whatever we write on paper for playersí skills) made up by a guy who has no idea what it is like to catch 130 games in 9 months, for the purpose of proving the worthiness of an opinion, is where I must point out the absurdity of the argument.

Everyone still gets an opinion. But that means everyone does. Tell me why Mauer is the seventh (!!!!) best catcher of ALL TIME. Donít cite a subjective made up number...especially from a guy like THAT, and say ipso facto heís the seventh best catcher in the history of Baseball.

The dude is a writer, supposedly, and the best he can do is a number...which he MADE UP.... for his argument? Thatís why I mock him.
batting average is a made up stat, old man
__________________
maus.exe has shut down
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
damientheomen3 (05-21-2018), Jeffy25 (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 09:39 AM   #16
Splitter24
Hall Of Famer
 
Splitter24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Willsboro, NY
Posts: 2,554
Thanks: 35
Thanked 427x in 256 posts
Joe Mauer: OPS+ 126, oWAR 52.9, dWAR 3.4, 3 Gold Gloves, 6-time All Star, 1 MVP

Joe Torre: OPS+ 129, oWAR 59.5, dWAR -0.3, 1 Gold Glove, 9-time All Star, 1 MVP

As an aside, Mauer's dWAR in his 5 100+ game seasons as a catcher was 2.7. Torre's dWAR in his 5 100+ game seasons as a catcher was 4.0.

Aside #2: I'm not a fan of WAR as a stat (and especially as a Hall of Fame argument) but include it only because I know a lot of people are.


The similarities in OPS+, WAR, moving from catcher to a corner infield position, awards, you name it between two the two Joes is pretty uncanny. No one argued too strongly for Torre's HoF candidacy; his voting based on his playing career tended to hover around 10-15% every year. They both have HoF arguments based on their playing careers. Torre got in on the strength of his lifetime body of work. I'm going to guess even if Mauer were to get a bit more support, it probably won't be enough if Torre's voting history as a player is any indication.
__________________
Currently Reading: Highlander: The History of the Legendary Highland Soldier by Tim Newark

"Hey y'all! It's revolution up in this bitch!" - Conspiracy Brother Jones

R.I.P. Tommy Holmes 1917-2008
Splitter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #17
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 1,987
Thanks: 220
Thanked 336x in 248 posts
This gets back into how sabermetrics has damaged baseball. People sight them as facts. And they have absolutely no idea what went into creating them. Done zero investigating as to how it is compiled, what is the reasoning behind it, the credentials of the one who came up with it. If you can't explain it, how can you put faith in it? But people recite it in debates as if it is a bible verse quoted from the divine and act like it puts a period at the end of the discussion. They are calculations based on the OPINION of whoever came up with the ratings.
__________________
If a man is guilty
4 what goes on inside of his mind,
then let me get the electric chair
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
3 thanks for this post:
Airdrop01 (05-21-2018), edm (09-10-2018), The Game (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #18
TheMaus2
All Star Starter
 
TheMaus2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The OOTP Forums. Always.
Posts: 1,664
Blog Entries: 16
Thanks: 599
Thanked 317x in 252 posts
Infractions: 1/0 (0)
10th on the Career WAR ranking for C, 3 batting titles, 3 GGs, 6 AS, 5 SS and an MVP award on a team that doesn't have many greats that I can remember? He's getting in, but maybe in a later ballot.
__________________
maus.exe has shut down
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #19
Jeffy25
Hall Of Famer
 
Jeffy25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,361
Thanks: 274
Thanked 243x in 202 posts
I'd like another 10 rWAR or so.

Catchers aren't appreciated enough, in general. But he has a lot going for him in regards to the Hall.

If he can get another 3 rWAR year this year, 2 next year, 2 in 2020, and then string together some 1-2 rWAR years over the following years, then yes.

If he ended his career today, no, he'd be short.

I'm not meaning WAR as the all inclusive stat. It's just a good, quick snapshot.

Technically, he's still a catcher (played most of his career there), but I don't know that he belongs above Brian Downing and Gabby Hartnett at this moment as a catcher all-time. He's at least near them.

In the end, he probably ends around Ted Simmons, and if he played long enough, near Fisk.

He won't be passing up Bench, Carter, Pudge, Berra. But that's not meaning he can't be a Hall of Famer either.
Jeffy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #20
Jeffy25
Hall Of Famer
 
Jeffy25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,361
Thanks: 274
Thanked 243x in 202 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
Everyone gets an opinion, bro. Citing a made up stat, subjective in nature anyway (just because itís a number doesnít mean itís not subjective, any more than the 5s or whatever we write on paper for playersí skills) made up by a guy who has no idea what it is like to catch 130 games in 9 months, for the purpose of proving the worthiness of an opinion, is where I must point out the absurdity of the argument.

Everyone still gets an opinion. But that means everyone does. Tell me why Mauer is the seventh (!!!!) best catcher of ALL TIME. Donít cite a subjective made up number...especially from a guy like THAT, and say ipso facto heís the seventh best catcher in the history of Baseball.

The dude is a writer, supposedly, and the best he can do is a number...which he MADE UP.... for his argument? Thatís why I mock him.
1. Your opinion isn't disqualified because you are a journalist and statistician. Every front office in baseball is ran by numbers guys that understands and knows the game. Are you going to call Luhnow and Epstein's opinions wrong because they didn't play the sport?

The idea that you can be disqualified from an understanding of something due to a lack of physical experience with it is squashed everywhere else in life, but a few people in baseball seem to allow it ring through without cause. Every single person, including Jaffe, who writes on the sport has played it, loves it, and understands it. Just because he didn't play minor league baseball or whatever level you would require to consider him a relevant expert is ridiculous.

2. JAWS, WAR, and these other 'subjective' stats were created with great insight, vetted information, detailed analysis, and years of thought experiment. And they are still only value added, snap shot numbers. They don't have to be all inclusive and absolute. Nobody walks around saying, well, his WAR is this, so that's it. It's a great starting place. Not the ending place (for discussions).

3. Usually when people are against these stats, they are the individuals who have zero clue how the stats are computed and figured out. WAR and JAWS are both incredibly easy and simplistic, and make a ton of sense. They also correlate to real wins remarkably well. Much better than other made up stats, like batting average.

4. We use statistics and analysis because our brains are giant fail factories. Our memories incredibly flawed, and in a sport with 750 full time players in it each year, it's easy to neglect some players, divisions, or even leagues and not realize what players are doing. This keeps the players on the same level playing field and allows us to measure them and compare them to each other. If you are a Yankee fan, I doubt you are paying any attention to what a player on the Rockies is doing unless you think you are trading for him or really watch all 30 teams really well. It doesn't allow you to objectively measure those players. So we use statistics, and advanced statistics are going to be vastly superior for this purpose.

5. You are also like 10 years too late to be complaining about this stuff. It's long been accepted. And the front offices are ran by people much smarter than all of us.

6. Why don't you give us your list of top 10 catchers of all time, and we can all discuss where Mauer fits on that list (assuming he continues to qualify as a catcher)?
Jeffy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 thanks for this post:
CMH (05-23-2018), stiffy (05-23-2018), Timofmars (05-22-2018)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:19 PM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments