Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.4.40 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

OOTP Baseball 20 - AVAILABLE NOW!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 03-16-2006, 04:25 PM   #1
Joe Canadian
All Star Starter

Thanked 20x in 8 posts
Roy Halladay signs extension!

SOURCE: http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=158820&hubname=

Quote:
Halladay signs 3-year, $40M extension

TSN.ca

3/16/2006 1:13:02 PM

DUNEDIN, Fla. (CP) - The Toronto Blue Jays locked up the face of the franchise Thursday, extending ace Roy Halladay's contract through 2010.

The 28-year-old right-hander signed a $40-million US, three-year extension which will pay him $10 million in 2008, $14.25 million in 2009 and $15.75 million in 2010.

Halladay's current deal, a $42-million, four-year contract signed in January 2004, had two more seasons left on it. He's due to make $12.7 million this season and $12.8 million the next.

"The chance to be here for another five years is something I didn't want to pass up," Halladay said at a news conference. "I really appreciate the way things have been handled. I couldn't be more thrilled than to have the opportunity to be here an added three years. I just can't express how excited I am."

General manager J.P. Ricciardi had said during spring training that extending Halladay's contract had become a top priority for him.

"He's a poster boy for the Blue Jays," Ricciardi said at the news conference. "We all know what he is capable of doing, we all know what he is capable of in a leadership role."

When Halladay negotiated his last deal with the club, he wanted assurances the Jays would make a legitimate effort to build a winner.

After seeing Ricciardi add starter A.J. Burnett, closer B.J. Ryan, third baseman Troy Glaus, first baseman Lyle Overbay and catcher Bengie Molina over the winter, this deal was much easier to finish off.

Last season Halladay was en route to another Cy Young Award calibre season when a Kevin Mench liner fractured his left leg July 8 in Texas.

He was 12-4 with a 2.41 earned-run average through 19 starts at the time.

"Roy Halladay is the premier pitcher in the American League," Blue Jays president Paul Godfrey said. "To know he will be part of this organization for the next five seasons is a big, big plus."

Halladay won the Cy Young Award in 2003, when he went 22-7 with a 3.25 ERA. The 28-year-old is 79-40 with a 3.70 ERA for his career. He said was excited about staying with the team that drafted in June 1995.

"I think that is the biggest selling point for me, the city and the people in the organization," Halladay said. "Also the steps they have taken, not only bring guys in but everybody they have brought in has been quality people. It's fun to be part of something like that."

Also helping the Jays cause is the instant friendship he has developed with Burnett. The two have become workout buddies and are seemingly inseparable around the clubhouse.

That bond prompted some teammates to make up T-shirts with Burnett's mug shot and the words, "Where's A.J.?" for Halladay.
I still feel like this recent trend of the Jays actually spending money is a dream...

Fan of the Blue Jays, Maple Leafs, IceCaps, Lakers, and Broncos.
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
Erik W.
Global Moderator

Thanked 108x in 75 posts
The Jays should be quite entertaining this year. Good thing, too, since I've decided not to get MLB TV this year, and thus will be watching about 110 Jays games instead. =P
Erik W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
abailey3313
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 27x in 19 posts
More good news for the Orioles.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
thomasthomas
All Star Reserve

Thanked 1x in 1 post

That is FAN FReAKIN TASTIC!
Old 03-16-2006, 04:35 PM   #5
rem
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 11x in 8 posts
That's a lot of faith the Jays are showing.

2005 Winner of LL's Pick the Loser Contest! - 15-0
rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:48 PM   #6
ill16ca
All Star Reserve

Thanked 5x in 1 post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasthomas

That is FAN FReAKIN TASTIC!
"

Why would we doubt Halladay? He's obviously an elite pitcher, and it's not like he's injury prone - he's just unlucky.
ill16ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:24 PM   #7
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Thanked 1,203x in 490 posts
Good! Now let's see Jays fans reward the franchise by filling the Rogers Centre like they did back in '91-93.

Last edited by Caporegime; 03-16-2006 at 11:31 PM.
Caporegime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:59 AM   #8
GoCubsAndJays
All Star Reserve

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Awesome signing for the Jays. Made my day.
GoCubsAndJays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:16 AM   #9
Luis_Rivera
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1x in 1 post
A groundballer who can strike out a few is worth quite a bit. That's a lot of money to be throwing at him, but it's better than the BJ Ryan signing... and the Burnett deal, given it's length and total $$ committment to a guy with a questionable past regarding his health.
Luis_Rivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:10 AM   #10
thomasthomas
All Star Reserve

Thanked 1x in 1 post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ill16ca
"

Why would we doubt Halladay? He's obviously an elite pitcher, and it's not like he's injury prone - he's just unlucky.
Exactly!

(still celebrating!)
Old 03-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #11
UngratefulDead
Banned

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Considering the contracts given to Matt Morris et al, I like this deal. A bit risky, but even two of those seasons being healthy would be worth it.
UngratefulDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:32 PM   #12
Luis_Rivera
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1x in 1 post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngratefulDead
Considering the contracts given to Matt Morris et al, I like this deal. A bit risky, but even two of those seasons being healthy would be worth it.
I actually don't think it's all that risky given the length. Sure, those 14 and 15 mil numbers look kinda intimidating, but think of it as hedging their bets rather than having to deal with a longer, more costly, and therefore riskier deal.

The other two deals they signed this offseason are far riskier. Well, one's risky, the other is just dumb.
Luis_Rivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:35 PM   #13
crackpott
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 7x in 3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ill16ca
"

Exactly. If Minnesota did this with Santana, everyone would be raving.

Halladay is one of the league's elite pitchers, and was easily on pace to take the Cy Young again last year if it weren't for Kevin Mench. That injury was nothing that happened due to being "injury prone", he was hit with a speeding baseball. This is probably the best thing they've done all offseason...
crackpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:42 PM   #14
darkenigma510
All Star Starter

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime
Good! Now let's see Jays fans reward the franchise by filling the Rogers Centre like they did back in '91-93.
I really hope this happens! Sadly Toronto fans are a fickle lot.
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:36 AM   #15
UngratefulDead
Banned

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Rivera
I actually don't think it's all that risky given the length. Sure, those 14 and 15 mil numbers look kinda intimidating, but think of it as hedging their bets rather than having to deal with a longer, more costly, and therefore riskier deal.
Yeah, now that I actually looked up why Halladay was out so much the last couple of seasons I like the deal even more.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #16
UngratefulDead
Banned

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Now if you're looking for a risky deal: Burnett leaves game with elbow injury.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:15 AM   #17
Falcon52
All Star Reserve

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Good signing for the Jays.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:40 AM   #18
Bay Area Bob
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 4x in 4 posts
For what the market dictates, that's an absolutely terrific deal for a player of Halladay's caliber. I mean really, that's not that much more money than guys have recently signed for that are clearly nowhere near his caliber, especially with that unique combination of reliability and effectiveness. I also love that a GM managed to not pledge to pay obscene amounts of money more than 3 years into the future.
Bay Area Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:34 AM   #19
thomasthomas
All Star Reserve

Thanked 1x in 1 post
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkenigma510
I really hope this happens! Sadly Toronto fans are a fickle lot.
The Leafs missing the playoffs (and it's looking like they will) be definitely boost attendance in April/May. GO HABS!