Home | Webstore
Latest News: Update OOTP 19.7 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now - FHM 4 Available

OOTP Baseball 19 is Available Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 05-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Ben E Lou
Front Office Football Central

Thanked 121x in 41 posts
Multi-Option NABA Fictional Quickstart for OOTP13 is ready.

I've redone the whole NABA setup, this time for OOTP13. As in the past, my custom stats and player development settings are a part of the league. There's also quite a bit that's new this time. Details follow...

DOWNLOAD INFO

Add-Ons Central--> Add Server---> http://www.younglifenorthdekalb.com/ootp/ootp13.xml

EDIT: YOU DON'T CLICK ON THE LINK. YOU PASTE IT INTO THE SERVER BOX AT ADD-ONS CENTRAL AND THEN RELOAD THE LIST OF ADD-ONS

STATS
This league uses my recommended statistical settings to produce statistical output that is something of a broad-brush of baseball from 1980-2004. The idea is that no changes need to be made in stats from season to season, so that a 40-HR season means the same thing in 2000 that it does in 2010, 2020, and 2090. With these settings, 60HR in a season is possible, but not likely, and the low 40s or upper 30s might lead the league in a given season. League-wide ERAs will be a bit above 4.00, and it's possible for a stud pitcher to turn in an ERA under 2.00. For those familiar with my work in past versions on stats tweaking and creation modifiers, the stats in the NABA will look extremely similar to those from bygone days.

DEVELOPMENT AND DECLINE
I use some fairly surprising settings, but per some great analysis by Eiskrap, the curves are pretty danged close--much closer than standard OOTP. You'll see a lot more instances of players remaining good into their 30s than at default OOTP settings, and far fewer instances of massive unexplained declines. It will still happen, just much less frequently.

STRUCTURE
The general structure is a North American setup with all teams in cities of significant size, divided into geographic divisions. If you choose the non-expansion option, there are two divisions in each league, 6 teams per division. The expansion option adds an extra team to all four divisions. In either case, it's like the 80s: division champs play one another in the LCS. No Wild Cards. Oh, and there's no DH in the NABA.

MINORS
All minor league teams are in fairly close proximity to their major league club. In most cases, they're in the same state. The NABA uses the standard AAA-AA-A-SSA-R format.

LOGOS/NICKNAMES
All 168 teams, including minor leagues, have custom logos and nicknames. Significant effort was made to have the nicknames make sense for the city/geography of the locations in question. For example, here's the minor league system of the Phoenix club:

If you're wondering why a team in Arizona got nicknamed the Monsoon, well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Sierra Vista falls in the BSk (Cold, Semi-arid) region of the K÷ppen climate classification system. The city has a fairly stable climate with very little humidity. However, the North American Monsoon can bring torrential rain during the months of July and August and will produce almost half the yearly rainfall in just those two months alone.
No, I didn't research every single city I included, but, like I said, there was some effort put into little touches like that.

The great majority of the logos come from either The Nickname Project or the cephasjames fictional library. A few were found elsewhere on the interwebz. I created a small handful of the uniform and hat texts myself.

FACEGEN
Custom facegen weights were used to give what I think is a realistic distribution of beards. All three of Bobble's packs are used. Back up your facegen folder prior to installing. This mod installs all three of Bobbie's packs.

NAMES
Questdog's Modern Names are used instead of the default files. His name set is simply teh awesome. 'Nuff said

FINANCES
Settings here are also customized. With the default settings, too often you'll find multiple 34ish year old 2 to 2.5 star players who'll hit free agency but go unsigned every year. I've made some modest changes to finance to increase revenues and lower expenses a hair across the board. This has pretty much eliminated this problem. Every now and then you might still see a stray player of the aforementioned profile who is unsigned at Opening Day, but in every case I found of that, the guy was signed by someone before mid-season. And quite frequently you'll hit opening day with the best remaining FAs being 1.5ish star MR types.

Using all of the settings above, I've generated four versions of the NABA.
  • NABA, Expansion-Ready--Set at the beginning of the 2000-2001 offseason. The 25-year-old league expands by four teams, beginning with an expansion draft. Take control of one of the four expansion clubs and try to build a winner against the league's established teams.
  • NABA, No-History Fantasy Draft--Full fantasy draft to begin 2001, with all league history removed and all players renamed. This gives the advantage of any initial player pool issues having been eliminated, but the feel of a brand new league. This start is quite similar to the excellent FBL QS.
  • NABA Offseason, No Expasion--Just what it says. Take over an existing fictional team with 25 years of history. Vancouver has really been struggling. Maybe take them for more challenge?
  • NABA Fantasy Draft--Full fantasy draft to begin 2001 with all players having full history from 1976-2000, but everyone released into the pool.

Last edited by Ben E Lou; 05-08-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
28 thanks for this post:
ashantewarrier (05-07-2012), bigdgp2 (05-11-2012), bwhansen (05-21-2012), cephasjames (05-17-2012), Cole (05-09-2012), Cowboys3356 (05-11-2012), craftdr (05-07-2012), Cryomaniac (05-07-2012), damientheomen3 (05-07-2012), dickysty (05-08-2012), discodude5 (05-10-2012), flounder (06-27-2012), fsclb66 (05-08-2012), glenmere14 (07-04-2012), GMLoophole (05-08-2012), jhart05 (05-08-2012), justafan (05-07-2012), kehowey (05-08-2012), mavericktango (05-15-2012), RchW (05-11-2012), reddawg (05-13-2012), sjshaw (05-17-2012), soxfan34 (12-13-2012), Spud Eating Buccos (05-08-2012), SunDevil (05-08-2012), thomamon (05-08-2012), thriller13 (05-08-2012), wiggins (05-08-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Ben E Lou

Thanked 121x in 41 posts
LEAGUE STRUCTURE

Last edited by Ben E Lou; 05-11-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Ben E Lou

Thanked 121x in 41 posts
Placeholder 2
Old 05-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 5,050x in 2,605 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
For those of you relatively new to OOTP, Skydog's work is always of the highest quality.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
Basebrah
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 50x in 33 posts
Sweeeet! Been waiting for this.

Last edited by Basebrah; 05-07-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Basebrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 494x in 291 posts
SkyDog has returned!!!
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson

OOTP MLB & NCAA Caps & Jerseys
http://s1232.photobucket.com/profile/ashantewarrier
ashantewarrier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
dickysty
Major Leagues

Thanked 56x in 33 posts
Yeah (Sky)Dog!
I'm still playing your original NABA.

Have to say that I'm not sure I can give it up, but you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
dickysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
justafan
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 7,683x in 3,215 posts
Anyone else having trouble adding that server?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafan View Post
Yep, I am having problems with the server too!

Thank you for this post:
justafan (05-08-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #10
patrick_richards1
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 36x in 16 posts
Quote:
I did not have a problem with adding the server, so possibly whatever was wrong was fixed
-------------------------------

patrick_richards1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
justafan (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #11
soadeathdealer
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 366x in 306 posts
[QUOTE=SkyDog;3317020]
If you're wondering why a team in Arizona got nicknamed the Monsoon, well...No, I didn't research every single city I included, but, like I said, there was some effort put into little touches like that.

[SIZE=5][COLOR=Black][SIZE=2]The great majority of the logos come from either The Nickname Project or the cephasjames fictional library. A few were found elsewhere on the interwebz. I created a small handful of the uniform and hat texts myself.

Yes az likes to have tons of rain and tons of Hugh fires. I kinda don't like it here for the heat and fires
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Leagues

POTD: Vermont/Co-Commish: http://potd.ca/
MTBL: Atlanta Braves(Commish): http://mtblcentral.ca/mtblca/
The Show: Jacksonville Bombers/Commish: theshow.ootpleagues.com
RFTP : Braves/co-commish: League Closed
HRBL: Commish: League Closed
soadeathdealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:26 AM   #12
Ben E Lou

Thanked 121x in 41 posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashantewarrier View Post
Yep, I am having problems with the server too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_richards1 View Post
I did not have a problem with adding the server, so possibly whatever was wrong was fixed
Heh. No idea on that one. Looking at the timestamps on the posts, I was asleep when the issue was first mentioned, and still asleep when it was resolved. (Just checked, and it appears to be working fine now.) I didn't do anything in either case. I'll just chalk it up to a random server glitch, I guess.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #13
Ben E Lou

Thanked 121x in 41 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post

• NABA, Expansion-Ready--Set at the beginning of the 2000-2001 offseason. The 25-year-old league expands by four teams, beginning with an expansion draft. Take control of one of the four expansion clubs and try to build a winner against the league's established teams.
Started a career using this option, and I've very quickly learned something good about the OOTP AI, at least with these settings: going after the "steals" in FA and offering asking price does not work, at least when there are three other expansion clubs working the FA market. I offered 21 contracts immediately, almost all of them right around asking price. In less than a week, 9 of the players I offered signed--all of them with one of the other three expansion clubs. As a GM, I'm pissed about that, but as a gamer, that's quite encouraging.
Thank you for this post:
reddawg (05-13-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 250x in 190 posts
For the NABA Offseason, No Expasion option, for the 25 year history, did you sim and then delete league history and player service time and then sim the 25 years? I've heard that when you originally create a fictional game, the original batch of players isn't the same quality as later in the game.
Klew1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #15
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,401x in 776 posts
Hey Skydog, I'm intrigued by this and I'm definitely going to use this to start a fictional league. Here's my question: the development and decline settings and the finance settings you've created, how would those translate into the MLB quickstart that comes with the game? If I copied them over into that quickstart, do you think I'd get the same results as you're getting in this NABA quickstart?
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #16
Ben E Lou

Thanked 121x in 41 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Hey Skydog, I'm intrigued by this and I'm definitely going to use this to start a fictional league. Here's my question: the development and decline settings and the finance settings you've created, how would those translate into the MLB quickstart that comes with the game? If I copied them over into that quickstart, do you think I'd get the same results as you're getting in this NABA quickstart?
I would think it would be very similar, though I haven't tried it myself.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,401x in 776 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
I would think it would be very similar, though I haven't tried it myself.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Appreciate all of your work!
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #18
cavebutter
All Star Reserve

Thanked 525x in 327 posts
Once again, thanks for these awesome quickstarts! Can't wait to get one going.
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #19
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

The server is still down. At least for me it is.

When I click the link, I get this page with the following message:

"This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below."

Then I get a layout of the script

Old 05-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #20
Ben E Lou

Thanked 121x in 41 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashantewarrier View Post
The server is still down. At least for me it is.

When I click the link, I get this page with the following message:

"This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below."

Then I get a layout of the script
Post the script that you see.