Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.1.32 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

OOTP Baseball 20 - AVAILABLE NOW!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 01-06-2016, 07:36 PM   #1
Cole98
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 184x in 85 posts
The North American Game

I have been using cephasjames American Baseball content pack (along with some of my own additions) and have been planning to start this for a while. I started my game in 1871 and I currently am at the 1892 season. In this alternate history baseball will grow to be a shared heritage of America and its younger sibling Canada, concurrently hockey never grows beyond a tiny Canadian domestic league. This dynasty will follow the trials and tribulations of the Calgary Cannons and the St. Laurent family of baseball moguls. Our story begins in spring of 1892, one article in the small newspaper the Calgary Globe.

"Cannons acquire phenom Heath; hire St. Laurent of Toronto as GM"
March 25th, 1892
Calgary Globe
By Trevor MacDonald
It may still be winter in our town but many an avid baseball fan is already focused on the short summer months. The biggest name in baseball has come to play for our beloved Cannons, leaving behind the growing machine that is the United League for the Western International League. Twenty-Six year old Catcher Christopher Heath is considered among many to be the greatest ball player to have graced the diamonds of our fair continent. The five time World Series champion wanted to move closer to his home in Trail, BC. He told the Toronto Dominion that he found the smaller league appealing. "My Wife and I are starting a family, and I'd love to be within two days train ride to my parents. Pierre [St. Laurent] told me he was going to Calgary so I asked him if I could come with him."
The Maple Leafs of Toronto did receive a prospect in return.
At thirty-eight years old St. Laurent had been at the helm of the Maple Leafs since the founding of the American League in 1877. The brooding French-Canadian is considered a legend among baseball executives, with his team dominating the United League ever since the NL-AL merger of 1886 and winning every World Series since 1887. However with success came dissatisfaction, in his editorial piece published in the Montréal Temps he admits that he has become bored of the "monotony of success" and that he could either "pursue a new challenge or forsake the game I love". Many pundits expected him to return to Montreal, he instead came to our city to escape the ire of the American media, although he may not get his wish.
As for the future of our Cannons we can only wait and cheer the boys on.

OOTP 16 Dynasty
The North American Game

Last edited by Cole98; 01-06-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Cole98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:24 PM   #2
Cole98
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 184x in 85 posts
An excerpt from Chris Heath: The First Superstar by baseball historian Roger D'agostino published in 1988 by Birchwood Books.
"Just a week before the birth of his first child in July 1892, Chris put on a fantastic display of talent against the Oakland Oaks. In just 4 games he post a .600 batting average, notching 3 home runs and 7 RBIs, despite this the Cannons fell 3-1. After the game he was found at a church, how he got in to the church remains a mystery, it was locked during the week. The series itself was not the lowest point of the year for Chris. Two days after the game longtime teammate and best friend Ted Daoust was on a train bound for Mississauga to visit his fiancee and parents, unfortunately the train derailed east of Saskatoon. Ted died before his 24th birthday, in his short career he won 5 World Series with Toronto and could have become a greater legend than even Chris. On July 13th Theodore Pierre Heath was born in Calgary General Hospital, the only son of the greatest Canadian baseball player named after two important members of the Canadian baseball community. It is important to note that Chris was never the same after Ted's death, it is also reported that he had to drink liberally before he would board the team's train for the rest of his career. Modern consensus is that he developed PTSD as a result of this loss, baseball and alcohol soon became his coping methods."

OOTP 16 Dynasty
The North American Game

Last edited by Cole98; 01-06-2016 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:55 PM   #3
Cole98
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 184x in 85 posts
(NOTE: This is meant to be read almost like a history book, as you can see I am using fictional sources)
After going 83-41 in the regular season the Calgary Cannons once again faced the Oakland Oaks, this likely marked the first true rivalry of western baseball. Most historians agree Ted Daoust's death gave the Cannons extra motivation for the 1893 season. In fact the entire season was dedicated to the second baseman. During the home opener the Cannons raised a banner bearing his #43 in the northeast corner of the Stampede Ground, this banner has become a lasting tradition and every August a moment of silence is held during the first home game in memorandum. Ironically Toronto has never retired Daoust's number despite him spending six seasons with them, during Heath's own induction into the Hall of Fame he showed his displeasure with his original team by placing a cowboy hat on Daoust's bust covering up the Maple Leafs hat that the stature wore.

Again Trevor MacDonald captures the passion of the small ranching town in regards to their beloved team. As mentioned in this article electrical lights were used at the Stampede Grounds for the first time in the post-season, unfortunately the generator caused a fire during Game 3 of the Western Series. Electrical lights weren't used again by Calgary until a decade later.
"Cannons edge Oaks 3-2 in Semi-Finals"
August 21st, 1893
Calgary Globe
Trevor MacDonald
Our boys did it! Despite Oakland taking a 2-1 lead by Game Three the Cannons were able to come back to win it in the final game. Under the lights at the Stampede Grounds the Cannons routed the Oaks 11-2 in the pivotal Game Five. Pitcher Mike Young hurled the whole nine innings allowing just 6 hits, and 2 runs, he walked 6 batters and struck out 4. After the game he was named the series MVP, and given a medal by the head umpire. To the crowds jubilation he walked the length of the field and laid the medal at the foot of the pole from which flies Daoust's #43. In my opinion Ted helped us win, as I sat in the press box I could feel him there, as could many others among the 2000 spectators. I hope to see the same amount of passion on Friday when the Western Series returns to our fair town for Game Three.

OOTP 16 Dynasty
The North American Game

Last edited by Cole98; 01-06-2016 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:24 AM   #4
Cole98
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 184x in 85 posts
The 1893 Western Series is regarded as one of the greatest series in baseball history. Even 113 years after the fact the legend of the underdog Cannons climbing back from a 3-1 deficit to win the series in the 7th game resonates in the psyche of North America. Perhaps it's the fact that Game 5 and 6 both went to extra innings? Or Robinson Alonzo's game winning single in the top of 8th in Game 7? Maybe Chris Heath's stellar performance, 8 RBIs, 1 Home Run, a .387 Batting Average? Whatever the reason there is one thing that is true, that week in late August solidified Calgary as a baseball town. Despite 24 other franchises in our modern United League being over 110 years old only Calgary, Boston, and Detroit really identify with their teams as cities. New York is home to cinema stars and Broadway, Los Angeles is the financial heart of the United States just as Toronto is to Canada. Chicago has two gridiron football teams, the city often forgets it has two baseball franchises. But Calgary, Boston, and Detroit have experienced such tragedy that baseball helped them recover. While the Nazi's bombarded New England with U-Boat launched missiles from 1943 to 1947 the Boston Rebels continued to play in defiance, living up to their name. During the Auto Crash of 1956-62 the Detroit Robins held a free game each week where they would send fans home with enough food for a week. The Cannons have helped Calgary get through many tribulations, from the Interwar Dustbowl to the Oil Crash of 1986 the franchise became something to rally around. That can all be traced back to the summer of 1893.

(If you want to say anything please feel free to do so)

OOTP 16 Dynasty
The North American Game

Last edited by Cole98; 01-07-2016 at 03:40 PM. Reason: changing a detail