Home | Webstore
Latest News: - OOTP 15: Update #6 Released! - OOTP 15 Released! - FHM 2014: Version 1.6.19 Available! - iOOTP Baseball 2014 for iOS Available NOW! - Beyond the Sideline Football Announced! - Title Bout Championship Boxing 2.5 released!

OOTP 15 Offseason Special: 50% Off!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
Nutlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,530
Thanks: 79
Thanked 102x in 62 posts
Cardinals Sign Jeff Suppan - Not the Worst Move Ever

Because I know that everyone is dying to read my further thoughts on Cardinals back of the rotation pitchers:

Suppan is a bad option, but not that bad | The Cardinal Nation blog

__________________
BJHL: GM of the Manhattan Crime
Occasional Contributor to The Cardinal Nation
Nutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,337
Thanks: 54
Thanked 92x in 68 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutlaw View Post
Because I know that everyone is dying to read my further thoughts on Cardinals back of the rotation pitchers:

Suppan is a bad option, but not that bad | The Cardinal Nation blog

You cannot win with three rookies in your starting rotation.

Carp, Waino, and Jaime Garcia are awesome. Don't know if Garcia can keep up his 1.40 era for the entire year, but hey, it's mid-June. Brad Penny is way too slow coming back. His oblique injury must have been much more serious than they let on.

All the Cards need their 4th and 5th starters to do is to win half the games when they pitch. They will roll, at that point.

No, I am not the least bit worried about the Reds. Come August, their thin bullpen will detonate, and that's that.

If Duncan can get Suppan to throw ground balls, then we're gold. Ryan and Freese are both excellent defenders.

I remember back in the day with the Cards had Ozzie at short, and either Oberkfell or Pendleton at third. John Tudor became the winningest (percentage) lefthander in Cards history. Throw ground balls, and let your defense work.

Last edited by dsvitak; 06-12-2010 at 10:37 AM.
dsvitak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
Nutlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,530
Thanks: 79
Thanked 102x in 62 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvitak View Post
You cannot win with three rookies in your starting rotation.

Carp, Waino, and Jaime Garcia are awesome. Don't know if Garcia can keep up his 1.40 era for the entire year, but hey, it's mid-June. Brad Penny is way too slow coming back. His oblique injury must have been much more serious than they let on.

All the Cards need their 4th and 5th starters to do is to win half the games when they pitch. They will roll, at that point.

No, I am not the least bit worried about the Reds. Come August, their thin bullpen will detonate, and that's that.

If Duncan can get Suppan to throw ground balls, then we're gold. Ryan and Freese are both excellent defenders.

I remember back in the day with the Cards had Ozzie at short, and either Oberkfell or Pendleton at third. John Tudor became the winningest (percentage) lefthander in Cards history. Throw ground balls, and let your defense work.
Agreed on all accounts. I'm never particularly worried about the Reds, no matter how well they always seem to start off. The Cubs still provide a faint concern.
__________________
BJHL: GM of the Manhattan Crime
Occasional Contributor to The Cardinal Nation
Nutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
low
Minors (Single A)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 60
Thanks: 23
Thanked 5x in 5 posts
Our signing of Suppan was one of the worst deals ever. It's good we released him. He was wayyyy overpaid.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
damientheomen3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: with my army of orangutans
Posts: 2,394
Thanks: 1,125
Thanked 521x in 317 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by low View Post
Our signing of Suppan was one of the worst deals ever. It's good we released him. He was wayyyy overpaid.
Agreed. It was time we cut him loose.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by axezzy View Post
spotted an 11-run lead, then going into the 9th up by 8 and not a single out recorded (using three relief pitchers all warmed up), nine runs score... game over? nope, thank the demo for saving me $20 on the after the season special or/and another $35-40 on 14. I will NOT be purchasing this piece of crap!
You see, this guy here, he is that guy. Don't be that guy.


Join the VHL today!
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,337
Thanks: 54
Thanked 92x in 68 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by low View Post
Our signing of Suppan was one of the worst deals ever. It's good we released him. He was wayyyy overpaid.
On the local news last night. Duncan and Suppan announced that they found "THE FLAW" in how Suppan has been pitching, and they know how to fix it.

We'll see!
dsvitak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
damientheomen3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: with my army of orangutans
Posts: 2,394
Thanks: 1,125
Thanked 521x in 317 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvitak View Post
On the local news last night. Duncan and Suppan announced that they found "THE FLAW" in how Suppan has been pitching, and they know how to fix it.

We'll see!
Soup couldn't find the flaw in 3 1/2 seasons with the Brewers, so I doubt he has all of a sudden been able to find it and fix it now, even with Duncan as his pitching coach.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by axezzy View Post
spotted an 11-run lead, then going into the 9th up by 8 and not a single out recorded (using three relief pitchers all warmed up), nine runs score... game over? nope, thank the demo for saving me $20 on the after the season special or/and another $35-40 on 14. I will NOT be purchasing this piece of crap!
You see, this guy here, he is that guy. Don't be that guy.


Join the VHL today!
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
Nutlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,530
Thanks: 79
Thanked 102x in 62 posts
The Cardinals had better hope so. They don't have a number four or five pitcher if Suppan can't muster up something.
__________________
BJHL: GM of the Manhattan Crime
Occasional Contributor to The Cardinal Nation
Nutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,337
Thanks: 54
Thanked 92x in 68 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damientheomen3 View Post
Soup couldn't find the flaw in 3 1/2 seasons with the Brewers, so I doubt he has all of a sudden been able to find it and fix it now, even with Duncan as his pitching coach.
Dave Duncan may well become the first pitching coach, ever, to be elected to the Hall of Fame. He certainly deserves it.

It isn't just his ability handle pitchers that makes him so great, it is also his ability to manage how the pitchers go about their business. Fastball, sliders, and cutters low in the zone, all day long.
dsvitak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
damientheomen3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: with my army of orangutans
Posts: 2,394
Thanks: 1,125
Thanked 521x in 317 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvitak View Post
Dave Duncan may well become the first pitching coach, ever, to be elected to the Hall of Fame. He certainly deserves it.

It isn't just his ability handle pitchers that makes him so great, it is also his ability to manage how the pitchers go about their business. Fastball, sliders, and cutters low in the zone, all day long.
I know how legendary Duncan is, but can he really fix a pitcher who's sucked for 3 1/2 years in the course of a week? I doubt it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by axezzy View Post
spotted an 11-run lead, then going into the 9th up by 8 and not a single out recorded (using three relief pitchers all warmed up), nine runs score... game over? nope, thank the demo for saving me $20 on the after the season special or/and another $35-40 on 14. I will NOT be purchasing this piece of crap!
You see, this guy here, he is that guy. Don't be that guy.


Join the VHL today!
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
All Star Starter
 
Jordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chi Suburbs now...
Posts: 1,815
Thanks: 149
Thanked 59x in 40 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damientheomen3 View Post
I know how legendary Duncan is, but can he really fix a pitcher who's sucked for 3 1/2 years in the course of a week? I doubt it.
Ping Kyle Lohse circa 2008?
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
TribeFanInNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,029
Thanks: 217
Thanked 579x in 393 posts
Certainly a decent low risk move for the Cards. They don't really lose anything by trying and might gain a fifth starter.
__________________
PEBA - Duluth Warriors
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)
 
TheRaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 257
Thanks: 5
Thanked 5x in 2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFanInNC View Post
Certainly a decent low risk move for the Cards. They don't really lose anything by trying and might gain a fifth starter.
Exactly, with the injuries to their veteran pitchers, this was a great low risk move to make, with someone that has had success rebounding his career here in the past.
TheRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
damientheomen3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: with my army of orangutans
Posts: 2,394
Thanks: 1,125
Thanked 521x in 317 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Ping Kyle Lohse circa 2008?
Didn't he have like a month to work on Lohse?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by axezzy View Post
spotted an 11-run lead, then going into the 9th up by 8 and not a single out recorded (using three relief pitchers all warmed up), nine runs score... game over? nope, thank the demo for saving me $20 on the after the season special or/and another $35-40 on 14. I will NOT be purchasing this piece of crap!
You see, this guy here, he is that guy. Don't be that guy.


Join the VHL today!
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
Goody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 3,377
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 422
Thanked 193x in 138 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvitak View Post
On the local news last night. Duncan and Suppan announced that they found "THE FLAW" in how Suppan has been pitching, and they know how to fix it.

We'll see!
I know how they are fixing "THE FLAW". They're bringing him out to face the Mariners.
__________________
Sent from my desktop computer using a web browser.
Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
TGH-Adfabre (06-15-2010)
Old 06-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,337
Thanks: 54
Thanked 92x in 68 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody View Post
I know how they are fixing "THE FLAW". They're bringing him out to face the Mariners.
You're not kidding here!

IF Suppan pitches well...such as a quality start, then he gets a butt-load of confidence.

He still throws low to mid 90's, and he is only 35. I am thinking he could easily have another 30 wins in him.
dsvitak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,337
Thanks: 54
Thanked 92x in 68 posts
OK..the verdict is...not bad.

4 innings, one run, a homer from Milton Bradley. It was a good pitch, too.

A little worrying is that his peak speed was 89.

He was in trouble a couple of times, but got out of it.

I give him a C+.
dsvitak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
Nutlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,530
Thanks: 79
Thanked 102x in 62 posts
Here's my take on the outing:

Jeff Suppan solid in Cardinals return | The Cardinal Nation blog
__________________
BJHL: GM of the Manhattan Crime
Occasional Contributor to The Cardinal Nation
Nutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2013 Out of the Park Developments