Home | Webstore
Latest News: - OOTP 15: Update #6 Released! - OOTP 15 Released! - FHM 2014: Version 1.6.19 Available! - iOOTP Baseball 2014 for iOS Available NOW! - Beyond the Sideline Football Announced! - Title Bout Championship Boxing 2.5 released!

OOTP 15 Offseason Special: 50% Off!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB General Discussions

TBCB General Discussions Talk about the new boxing sim, Title Bout.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 66x in 49 posts
WBC Creates New Title - Absolute WBC super lightweight title

Today at the WBC headquarters in Mexico City, Erik Morales visited president Jose Sulaiman and they spoke about Golden Boy’s request to sanction Erik “El Terrible” Morales vs. Jorge “The Hyena” Barrios for the absolute WBC super lightweight title. Because Timothy Bradley has more than 6 months of inactivity in the ring and Devon Alexander announced that he’ll go up to the welterweight division, the WBC sent a request to the Board of Governors, based on the rule that says: “a former champion has the right to contest the title,” to authorize Barrios against Morales for the super lightweight absolute title.

“I have made many changes in my life to return to boxing. I showed Maidana there is something called school and if you do good, technique is above all,” said Morales. He added, “this is a great opportunity, I’m on the right track, next year we’ll face the best in the world. I feel fully experienced strong and young.”

“Timothy Bradley will be a champion in recess, and most likely will rise to the welterweight division,” said Sulaiman.

It’s ironic that the WBC absolute title belt fight is being sanctioned by the WBC because Timothy Bradley has been inactive. Bradley’s last fight took place on January 29, 2011. Barrios hasn’t fought since October 1, 2010 and Morales is 4-5 in his last nine fights.

My gut feel is that Golden Boy and the WBC want Morales to have one of their created belts and Barrios is their handpicked victim.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 976x in 756 posts
It's good to see the WBC finally get something right.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 66x in 49 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWillisTheMan View Post
It's good to see the WBC finally get something right.
Absolutely!
Old 07-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Global Moderator

Thanked 1,258x in 886 posts
Outstanding! (there's no golf clap smilie)
Old 07-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Thanked 212x in 189 posts
lol & I thought the WBA was confusing with their super, regular & interim champs.
hamed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 66x in 49 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamed2 View Post
lol & I thought the WBA was confusing with their super, regular & interim champs.
Kevin Iole, from his most recent article on Yahoo Sports. “I had a brief chat with WBA vice president Gilberto Mendoza Jr. on Saturday in Las Vegas. The younger Mendoza, whose father is president, is striving to make a difference in the way the sanctioning body is being run. He’s navigating very difficult political waters within the organization, but here’s hoping he is successful. If Mendoza Jr. is at the very least able to convince the WBA board to only have one champion per division and to quit stripping the belt from guys who win it in the ring, he’d do the sport a great service. Best of luck to him”.

I believe that Mendoza Jr. is blowing smoke you know where! But. if true, it's about time.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 66x in 49 posts
WBC Sanctions Ridiculous Title Fight for Erik Morales

WBC Sanctions Ridiculous Title Fight for Erik Morales
By Sean Morehouse/Bleacher Report

On September 17th, Erik “El Terrible” Morales will fight Jorge Rodrigo Barrios on the Floyd Mayweather-Victor Ortiz PPV undercard. When this fight was originally announced there was some reason for excitement in the boxing community. A boxing fan cannot see a living legend like Morales (51-7-0, 35 KOs) enough times. He proved earlier in the year with a gutsy performance against Marcos Maidana that he still has something left, and his effort to rebuild his career after a series of losses was capturing the hearts of boxing fans. The choice of Barrios (50-4-1, 35 KOs) as an opponent, who has not won a significant bout in quite some time, made this a bit of a tune-up fight for Morales, but as the second match on a big PPV it was certainly nothing to complain about.

Of course, sometimes the sport of boxing just cannot just let a good thing be. This week it was announced that the WBC was going to declare junior welterweight champion Timothy Bradley it’s “champion in recess” effectively stripping him of his title. This news would have been bad enough taken alone. Whatever you think of Bradley’s recent questionable business decision to not defend his title against Amir Khan, Bradley had fought just six months before. On top of this, the WBC does not currently even have a mandatory challenger lined up for Bradley. However, considering that according to their bylaws, the WBC reserves the right to strip a belt from a fighter that doesn’t defend every six months, this could have been a regrettable but excusable choice.

To turn this matter from unfortunate decision into complete and total farce, the WBC announced that the Morales-Barrios fight would fill this now vacant championship. Never mind the fact that they have title eliminator scheduled between two other fighters, who have now been pushed to the back of the line for no reason other than not having the name recognition of a Morales, this “championship” bout will be between two men who have absolutely no claim to this kind of an opportunity.

Why Barrios is undeserving is basically self-explanatory, he has never campaigned in the 140 pound weight class, he has fought only once in the past 20 months, he hasn’t beat a respectable opponent in many years. Of course, if you know the WBC, you know that he wasn’t selected because he deserved a title shot; he was selected because they are pretty confident Morales will beat him.

As silly as Barrios fighting for a belt at this point in his career is, boxing fans have to be honest with themselves and realize that as great as his career has been, Morales does not belong anywhere near a title shot right now either. “El Terrible” surprised people by making his last fight so competitive when many in the media suggested that he was in serious danger fighting a puncher like Maidana, but he did not win the fight. In fact, the last time Erik Morales did beat a world-class opponent was his defeat of Manny Pacquiao. That was six years ago.

The Mexico based WBC has apparently been deaf to recent criticism that they have been unfairly stripping titles and awarding them to Mexican fighters, either that or they simply don’t care. This nonsense, however, makes questionable WBC champions Julio Caesar Chavez Jr. and Saul Alvarez look quite legit in comparison.

Why should we care about this as boxing fans? Well, there are different schools of thought. One is that we can decide to simply ignore them. Whatever belts are on the line doesn’t change the action in the ring, which is what we love about the sport. However, especially in the case of the grandfather of international boxing organizations, the WBC, it is a little sad to see these belts so utterly devalued. This is a belt that was held by Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Oscar De La Hoya, and countless other great champions, and now it is hardly worth the material it is made with. It’s also sad that casual fans see these titles being given out and have an understandable amount of confusion over who the true champions are.

In the end, the best we can do as fans is try and educate the public ourselves about who the best fighters truly are, and rightfully jeer at these criminals that say otherwise. Also remember, Boxing is still boxing whatever meaningless strap of fabric the fighters wear into the ring.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 66x in 49 posts
Bogus belt contenders

Ring (owned by Morales promoter Oscar de la Hoya) rates Morales # 8. Up from #9 last month.

BoxRec rates Morales # 21 (more realistic, but still higher than he should be).

Barrios has never fought at JWW and is rated # 46 at JWW by BoxRec.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Morales is now fighting Matthysse for the title. That should be a brutal war. Bradley should be taking notes from Erik on how to be a warrior and a professional.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 66x in 49 posts
Sulaiman feling the heat

Sulaiman is feeling the heat, but not enough to follow his own organization's rules. If you can follow them below.

August 2, 2010 - By Jose Sulaiman/WBC President
As president of the WBC, I feel that I should make a brief press note in answer to several criticisms received from some writers in regards to the Timothy Bradley case. Bradley is a great fighter and a pride of the WBC. We gave him first the opportunity before any other even noticed him, and he has won the WBC title twice. The WBC is a not-for-profit organization that has its rules, which should be abided by, if any boxer wants to become a WBC Champion.

There are traffic laws that are respected: if you don’t stop at a red light, you are violating the law and will be fined. If you don’t have a driving license you should not drive, or you will be fined. If you issue a check without funds, that is fraud.

Our rules for champions state that each champion should defend the title at least three times a year and when you reach six months of inactivity, the title might be withdrawn, The WBC wrote three times to Timothy, and neither he nor his representatives wrote back, nor have they announced at any time any scheduled fight at all to defend his title. They seemed not to care that there are many other classified boxers who wish to contend for the title, which the champion has frozen.

However, the WBC did not “strip” Bradley. We declared him still “champion in recess” so that he will have the doors of the WBC opened for when he is able to return, while we declared the active championship vacant with the new champion to fight Bradley when he returns to boxing.

As simple as that.

That simple! Then why aren’t the #1 and #2 contenders fighting for the Interim belt?
1. Devon Alexander (US)
2. Ajose Olusegun (Nigeria) COMM
3. Erik Morales (Mexico)
4. Humberto Soto (Mexico)
5. Kendall Holt (US)
6. Ali Chebah (France)
7. Lucas Matthysse (Argentina)
8. Josesito Lopez (US) NABF
9. Prawet Singwangcha (Thai) INTL
10. Mike Alvarado (US) AMERICA

WBC Rules:1.26
Vacant Title. If a title becomes vacant for any reason, the Board of Governors may in its discretion take whatever steps or actions it deems necessary or appropriate to fill the title, including but not limited to:

1) authorize and cause to be instituted a tournament or elimination contest among leading available contenders in the division of the vacant title, with the winner being recognized as the new champion; or
2) authorize or cause to be instituted a direct bout between the two highest rated available boxers and recognize the winner as the champion;
or3) appoint

The Board of Governors may impose such conditions as it deems proper and necessary in its discretion upon the new champion winning a vacant title, including but not limited to:

1) designating the boxer against whom the first defense of the title must be made (who may be selected from the highest rated available boxers or a boxer selected through a final elimination bout);

2) ordering the new champion to make his first mandatory defense within ninety (90) to one hundred and twenty (120) days of acquiring the title;

3) if requested and feasible, to approve one voluntary defense, with the condition that the winner must meet his official mandatory challenger next. This list is also non-exclusive.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Alexander is moving up to welter.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 66x in 49 posts
Then the pecking order in the WBC becomes:

Ajose Olusegun (Nigeria) COMM
Erik Morales (Mexico)
Humberto Soto (Mexico)
Kendall Holt (US)
Ali Chebah (France)

According to the WBC rules the two two highest rated boxers contend for a vacated title. Olusegun, Soto, Holt and Chebah should get a chance before Lucas Matthysse. That said, I do like the Morales-Matthysee matchup. I think Soto and Holt would give Morlaes more trouble than the hard-hitting but limited Matthysee. Matthysee is a poor man's version of Marcos Rene Maidana.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofre View Post

Erik Morales (Mexico)
Humberto Soto (Mexico)
Kendall Holt (US)
Ali Chebah (France)

According to the WBC rules the two two highest rated boxers contend for a vacated title. Olusegun, Soto, Holt and Chebah should get a chance before Lucas Matthysse. That said, I do like the Morales-Matthysee matchup. I think Soto and Holt would give Morlaes more trouble than the hard-hitting but limited Matthysee. Matthysee is a poor man's version of Marcos Rene Maidana.
I think Matthysse is more skilled than Maidana. I've never seen Olusegum fight but he has an eliminator against someone else I don't know coming up. I'm glad they went against their rules in this instance.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 66x in 49 posts
Quote:
I think Matthysse is more skilled than Maidana. I've never seen Olusegum fight but he has an eliminator against someone else I don't know coming up. I'm glad they went against their rules in this instance.
I've decidied from now on to ignore the alphabet soup belts - it's so out of control - and just look at the matchups. And this is a good matchup.

I looked at the Matthysee-Alexander fight again, and I agree with you, Matthysee does looked more polished than Maidana.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

That's the best way to go about it. I can't even keep up with them if I wanted to with all the stripping and interim BS. Back in the 80's my friends used to pull out the Sports Almanac and have me spout off the champions from years before. I couldn't come near the current ones now.

I think it's a great fight. Matthysse is more polished, but not as relentless as Marcos. If he starts slow, Erik will probably have more in the tank late.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 66x in 49 posts
Quote:
I think it's a great fight. Matthysse is more polished, but not as relentless as Marcos. If he starts slow, Erik will probably have more in the tank late.
I think you called it correctly! It should be an enetertaining fight.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 66x in 49 posts
It looks like Kendall Holt is going to sue the WBC

WBC PASSES OVER KENDALL HOLT AND OTHERS IN ERIK MORALES TITLE GRAB
By Scott Shaffer

In the wake of the WBC's indefensible, and possibly illegal, decision to strip Tim Bradley of his 140-pound title, the Mexican-based sanctioning body has ignored the right of a second American fighter in order to facilitate a title fight for one of its favorite sons. In order to railroad through an Erik Morales title fight, the WBC is apparently denying New Jersey's Kendall Holt his right to fight for the vacant title. Holt's attorney, Patrick English said today, "Kendall is available to fight Morales for the title. There has been talk of Holt fighting Danny Garcia but that's not signed yet. Kendall doesn't understand how he got skipped over by the WBC and would welcome a title fight." Most observers feel strongly that the WBC selectively enforced an obscure rule to strip Bradley, an American, in order to put Morales, a Mexican, in position to fight for, and win another WBC title. Bradley has been sued by his promoter, but normal procedure is for the WBC to wait until Bradley's mandatory defense is due and then call for a purse bid between Bradley and the #1 contender (currently Devon Alexander, whom Bradley took the title from). Regardless of whether Bradley breached his promotional contract, he fought hard for the title and should not have it summarily taken away outside the ring. The WBC's manueverings have earned it crticism around the Internet: Initially, it was announced that Morales would fight Jorge Barrios, who never fought at 140 pounds, for the vacated WBC title. Then it was discovered that pending criminal charges could prevent Barrios from coming to the United States to fight Morales, so Barrios was replaced with Lucas Matthysse, a legitimate light welterweight contender rated #7 by the WBC. While Morales-Mathysse is unquestionably an interesting fight, the fact remains that Holt is rated #5 by the WBC, while Mathysse is two spots below him, and legal precedent requires that the highest rated contenders be offered a vacant title fight before lower-rated ones. Besides Holt and Alexander, both of whom are black Americans (Boxingtalk's Stephen Edwards has accused the WBC of consistently favoring Mexicans over Amercians, particularly black Americans), the other boxers who would be improperly passed over by a Morales-Matthysse title fight are #2 Ajose Olusegun (Nigeria), #4 Humberto Soto (Mexico) and #6 Ali Chebah (France).
Old 08-05-2011, 04:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 617x in 393 posts
Humberto Soto could beat any of them.
IceTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 66x in 49 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofre View Post

Erik Morales (Mexico)
Humberto Soto (Mexico)
Kendall Holt (US)
Ali Chebah (France)

Soto and Holt are both tough matchups for Morales.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 6x in 5 posts
I think you guys have it wrong, Maidana is a poor version of Matthysee. Matthysee's shots to me looks crisper and less wild than Maidana
jbels08 is offline   Reply With Quote