Home | Webstore
Latest News: - OOTP 15: Update #6 Released! - OOTP 15 Released! - FHM 2014: Version 1.6.19 Available! - iOOTP Baseball 2014 for iOS Available NOW! - Beyond the Sideline Football Announced! - Title Bout Championship Boxing 2.5 released!

OOTP 15 Offseason Special: 50% Off!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB General Discussions

TBCB General Discussions Talk about the new boxing sim, Title Bout.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Major Leagues
 
sepia warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 452
Thanks: 149
Thanked 183x in 135 posts
Money Mayweather Is Going To Jail

Floyd "Money" Mayweather Jr. pled guilty to a midemeanor charge, reduced from a felony, and two counts of harassment resolving the domestic violence charges against him stemming from an incident involving a former girlfriend and which took place in front of two of his children. Mayweather was sentenced to 90 days in jail, fined and ordered to perform community service. He is due to be incarcerated on January 6, 2012. Even with a possible reduction of several weeks for good behavior, it seems that his sentence will prevent any big fight happening on May 5, 2012 for Cinco de Mayo. Read more here:

Boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. sentenced to 90 days in jail in Vegas domestic violence case - The Washington Post
sepia warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
kenyan_cheena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 8,453
Thanks: 179
Thanked 330x in 272 posts
Yep, looks like we'll have to be content with Pacman-JMM IV.
kenyan_cheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
kenyan_cheena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 8,453
Thanks: 179
Thanked 330x in 272 posts
So the judge in PBF's case had postponed his sentence until June so that he can still fight in May, but still not likely to be against Manny. I swear, Bob Arum is destroying this sport.
kenyan_cheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
rudel.dietrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 5,716
Thanks: 11
Thanked 481x in 278 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyan_cheena View Post
So the judge in PBF's case had postponed his sentence until June so that he can still fight in May, but still not likely to be against Manny. I swear, Bob Arum is destroying this sport.
He would have to pay out $120 million just to get the fighters in the ring. He would then have to pay out an additional $15-20 in promotional and marketing costs. You are looking at potentially $140 million before he can even begin to start looking at a profit. Given the state of boxing these days that is a gamble I don't think I would take if I was in his position. I love the sport but can your love for the sport carry you through potential financial ruin?

Mayweather is an extremely wealthy man. He is worth about $95 million. I think he cares more about record and legacy than a huge payday. Yeah his legacy might be pretty tainted but I think he has a mind like Barry Bonds. How he views himself is the single most important thing in his life.

Last edited by rudel.dietrich; 01-09-2012 at 08:37 PM.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
IceTea (01-07-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Minors (Double A)
 
DamPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 190
Thanks: 186
Thanked 49x in 41 posts
Arum...

Look there is no doubt that (almost) everyone wants this fight... all of us know that Pacquiao has the best shot at beating Mayweather compared to any other fighter... but the one person who doesn't want this fight to happen is the one calling the shots for Pacquiao (Arum). Dan Rafael describes it best (Blame Bob Arum for no Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather fight - ESPN)... if Pacquiao loses (which right now seems the most likely) what would be Pac's incentive to keep on fighting after making all that money and accomplishing all that he has? This long, frustrating soap opera is almost as frustrating as hoping for a playoff in NCAA football. At least we have TBCB to simulate the fight for us as many times as we want to, lol!
DamPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
All Star Starter
 
PittPanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,236
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14x in 5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyan_cheena View Post
So the judge in PBF's case had postponed his sentence until June so that he can still fight in May, but still not likely to be against Manny. I swear, Bob Arum is destroying this sport.
This is spot on. Bob Arum is a coward afraid to test his cash cow. Boxing sucks at this point in history. We need hero.
__________________
Commitment
Teamwork
Pride
Hail to Pitt!
PittPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
All Star Starter
 
hamed2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,518
Thanks: 587
Thanked 213x in 190 posts
Like Dan Rafael said on ESPN's FNF, Arum would rather make $25 million having Manny fight less dangerous fighters than Floyd than pay those 2 $25 million each & risk Manny losing.

I'll also bet Arum saw how much trouble Manny had with Marquez & figures anything he can do to Manny, Floyd can do even better so he doesn't want Manny is such a high risk fight.
hamed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
All Star Reserve
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 818
Thanks: 10
Thanked 81x in 61 posts
who do they even deserve $160 million??????
zyberianwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
kenyan_cheena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 8,453
Thanks: 179
Thanked 330x in 272 posts
Money (and I'm not talking about PBF here) is no excuse for this shameful episode dragging on and on.
kenyan_cheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
rudel.dietrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 5,716
Thanks: 11
Thanked 481x in 278 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittPanther View Post
This is spot on. Bob Arum is a coward afraid to test his cash cow. Boxing sucks at this point in history. We need hero.
This is so easy to say sitting on the sidelines when it is not your money.
Boxing promotion is a buisness first and foremost. If it looks like it is going to be difficult to turn even a modest profit then I can understand being hesitant.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
kenyan_cheena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 8,453
Thanks: 179
Thanked 330x in 272 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
This is so easy to say sitting on the sidelines when it is not your money.
Boxing promotion is a buisness first and foremost. If it looks like it is going to be difficult to turn even a modest profit then I can understand being hesitant.
SO basically you're talking about the difference between making a lot of money and A LOT of money. And that's for the people who aren't even putting on the gloves.

Last edited by kenyan_cheena; 01-09-2012 at 08:48 PM.
kenyan_cheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
kenyan_cheena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 8,453
Thanks: 179
Thanked 330x in 272 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamed2 View Post
Like Dan Rafael said on ESPN's FNF, Arum would rather make $25 million having Manny fight less dangerous fighters than Floyd than pay those 2 $25 million each & risk Manny losing.

I'll also bet Arum saw how much trouble Manny had with Marquez & figures anything he can do to Manny, Floyd can do even better so he doesn't want Manny is such a high risk fight.
That's all true but he can't have it both ways. 12 months ago Manny looked unbeatable and Arum was saying that PBF is the only thing stopping the fight from happening. Now things have changed and all of a sudden they want no part of him. Hypocrisy.
kenyan_cheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
kenyan_cheena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 8,453
Thanks: 179
Thanked 330x in 272 posts
I just want to add that my respect for Manny (as a fighter) is starting to decline over this issue. It has been a steady decline for the past two years, I guess. Because I really cannot believe that, as the #1 P4P fighter in the world, he does not have SOME sway over who he gets to fight. I really can't believe that he has no opinion whatsoever on the issue, that he's just content to "leave it up to my promoter" almost as if he's completely unaware of what's happening with the other top fighters.

Seriously, could he really have been perfectly happy to fight Clottey (who had already been defeated by his previous opponent, Cotto), Margarito (who had already been beaten by Mosley, who himself had been beaten by PBF), and then, inexplicably, Mosley also? Did he really not see the farcical nature of those fights? With each of his fights from De La Hoyas through to Cotto, he was taking another step forward. But the three that followed were all steps backward or, at best, standing on the spot.

It almost feels like he's isolated from it, like he doesn't even care to think about it. It really just boggles my mind that, at some point in the past and right now, he hasn't just picked up the phone and said to Arum. "Bob, I want to fight Floyd. I don't care what you have to do, just make it happen." The truth appears to be that he is either unable or unwilling to do that. It's crazy.

Last edited by kenyan_cheena; 01-10-2012 at 12:10 AM.
kenyan_cheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
kenyan_cheena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 8,453
Thanks: 179
Thanked 330x in 272 posts
And now Floyd has called out Manny:

Floyd Mayweather Jr. calls out Manny Pacquiao for May 5 fight - ESPN
kenyan_cheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
All Star Starter
 
hamed2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,518
Thanks: 587
Thanked 213x in 190 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyan_cheena View Post
That's all true but he can't have it both ways. 12 months ago Manny looked unbeatable and Arum was saying that PBF is the only thing stopping the fight from happening. Now things have changed and all of a sudden they want no part of him. Hypocrisy.
I know, who really wants the fight is based on who thinks they have the better chance to win.

Arum's trying to protect his cash cow - he probably could see Floyd winning that fight pretty easily by decision & Manny's stock & PPV #'s taking a big dip for any fight(s) after that.
hamed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
All Star Starter
 
hamed2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,518
Thanks: 587
Thanked 213x in 190 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyan_cheena View Post
I just want to add that my respect for Manny (as a fighter) is starting to decline over this issue. It has been a steady decline for the past two years, I guess. Because I really cannot believe that, as the #1 P4P fighter in the world, he does not have SOME sway over who he gets to fight. I really can't believe that he has no opinion whatsoever on the issue, that he's just content to "leave it up to my promoter" almost as if he's completely unaware of what's happening with the other top fighters.

Seriously, could he really have been perfectly happy to fight Clottey (who had already been defeated by his previous opponent, Cotto), Margarito (who had already been beaten by Mosley, who himself had been beaten by PBF), and then, inexplicably, Mosley also? Did he really not see the farcical nature of those fights? With each of his fights from De La Hoyas through to Cotto, he was taking another step forward. But the three that followed were all steps backward or, at best, standing on the spot.

It almost feels like he's isolated from it, like he doesn't even care to think about it. It really just boggles my mind that, at some point in the past and right now, he hasn't just picked up the phone and said to Arum. "Bob, I want to fight Floyd. I don't care what you have to do, just make it happen." The truth appears to be that he is either unable or unwilling to do that. It's crazy.
I agree. I think fighters use that or the "I'm not fighting for peanuts!" reasons as excuses for not fighting guys even they think they don't have a good chance of beating.
hamed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
kenyan_cheena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 8,453
Thanks: 179
Thanked 330x in 272 posts
Floyd Mayweather Jr. places telephone call to Manny Pacquiao - ESPN
kenyan_cheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,666
Thanks: 379
Thanked 266x in 163 posts
And so now, Mayweather wants a 60-40 split of the purse, with Pacquiao getting 40%?? That's utterly, completely, absurd. It takes comedy to an entirely new level, and it is proof [if any more were needed] that Mayweather is primarily interested in playing head games, not boxing.

Why Pacquiao's camp continues to take this guy seriously is beyond me. He's a jerk. And that's putting it mildly.

Pacquiao should either retire and move on with his political career or whatever else he wants to do with his life, or fight Marquez again and then retire.

Marquez, at least, is true warrior and a sincere man who deserves a big payday and a chance to prove he is the better man, as his fans believe he is. Even many Filipinos don't believe Pacquiao won their last fight.

So, let's have Pacquiao vs Marquez one more time.
__________________
RIP Lou Reed [March 2, 1942-October 27, 2013]
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cap
Hall Of Famer
 
Cap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Large Province in God's Country
Posts: 5,635
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 202
Thanked 497x in 331 posts
Right now Maywether needs Pacquiao much more than the Pac-Man needs him. He should just ignore Party-Boy Floyd and get on with his life.

Cap
__________________
"...There were Giants in Those Days.."
Cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
kenyan_cheena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 8,453
Thanks: 179
Thanked 330x in 272 posts
Pssh. PBF vs Cotto. What a waste of time. Next please.
kenyan_cheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2014 Out of the Park Developments