Home | Webstore
Latest News: - OOTP 15: Update #6 Released! - OOTP 15 Released! - FHM 2014: Version 1.6.19 Available! - iOOTP Baseball 2014 for iOS Available NOW! - Beyond the Sideline Football Announced! - Title Bout Championship Boxing 2.5 released!

OOTP 15 World Series Special: 50% Off!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Inside the Ropes

TBCB Inside the Ropes Your game and fantasy fights

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #21 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Thanked 314x in 170 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkflex View Post
Great start, will be following, although I'm not even remotely familiar with that period. The only gripe I have is with Skip's pic, the old one was just dead on perfect, the younger one doesn't remind me of Skip at all, it just seems like some average joe to me. Maybe I'll just have to let it grow on me a little.
Quite honestly, it is the same person! At the end of the sim, I think I'll reveal who the person actually is---he was sort of a NYC-based celeb back in the late 50s-mid-60s. Also, remember, this is Skip only a few years out of college, long before the divorces, Studio 54, and substance abuse.
Back in the 1950s pretty much everybody looked like an average Joe (hey, I know a ton of guys who look like Joe the Plumber).

But I will be changing his pic later on in the sim once we get into the 60s. In fact the picture plays a role in what happens in the uni!

Now that's some kind of mystery stuff---or the biggest load of BS a member ever dropped in a thread

And thanks for your comments and interest in this sim.
professordp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Haha, now I have an additional reason to read on
barkflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 177x in 163 posts
Good stuff prof.

Has anyone seen the video of the second Patterson V Liston fight?

Where all the old legends Robinson, Louis, Marciano and others, are introduced before the fight. Then Ali (Clay) gets the call, he was certainly a showman.
Tosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #24 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Thanked 47x in 37 posts
This will be fun to follow. We have a guy at work who is a big eater. I gave him the nickname Partial Eclipse, and he later ate his way into Total Eclipse. He's proud of his nicknames, and tells everyone about them, for some reason.
mikehoudini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:09 PM   #25 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Thanked 46x in 46 posts
WOO HOO A new Uni from The Professor. Will be following along
Ric915 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:13 PM   #26 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Los Angeles Chronicle
February 15, 1957
Carter Decisions Machen
by Rob McCoy

In a meeting between two of the top ranked boxers in the heavyweight division, Harold Carter scored a unanimous decision over Eddie Machen. Carter’s victory could lead to a title match with the winner of the contest between current champion Floyd Patterson and number one contender, Tommy “Hurricane” Jackson who next month at New York’s Madison Square Garden.

More than ten thousand attended last night’s fight card at Olympic Auditorium. In addition to the Carter-Machen bout, last year’s Olympic heavyweight gold medalist, Pete Rademacher, made his professional debut by decisioning Billy Hunter in a six round fight.

Carter takes advantage of a lackluster Machen

For most of their fight, Carter was the aggressor while Machen, who did not appear to be in peak shape, spent his time looking to counter. Although the decision cards of all three judges gave Carter victory by a substantial margin, the rounds themselves were somewhat close.

Early in the match, a pattern began to emerge. Carter spent most of each round forcing the action and frequently scoring with hooks and crosses. For his part, Machen tended to come to life in the last part of the round, scoring powerful rights and uppercuts against the incoming Carter.

Obviously, Machen’s eleventh hour tactics were not enough to influence the judges. All three of the judges’ cards gave Machen only two of the ten rounds. Nevertheless, Carter was far from convincing. Two judges had the first and final rounds scored even; a third judge saw the boxers fighting on equal terms in three of the rounds.

A boxing display, but little power punching

With neither fighter known as a hard hitter, much of the bout was a technical a contest between two skilled boxers. There were no knockdowns and at no time was there a sustained attack from either of the combatants.

The audience frequently voiced their displeasure, particularly in the later rounds when Machen appeared to tire and began to employ holding and clinching tactics. Although he generally pressed the action, Carter also demonstrated a certain reluctance to mix things up with his opponent.

The victory brings Carter’s professional record to 22-2-2. More importantly, it will likely result in his being ranked a number one contender when the Universal Boxing Organization (UBO) releases its rankings later this month.

Machen suffered his first defeat which takes his record to 21-1. Currently Machen is ranked fourth by the UBO, and his loss could cause him to drop a few notches.

Rademacher wins is pro debut

Pete Rademacher, last summer’s Olympic gold winner, started his journey as a professional with a one-sided decision over Billy Hunter in a six round undercard contest.

Rademacher, who enjoyed an impressive career in the amateur ranks, put in a workmanlike effort against Hunter who entered the match with a 7-4-2 record.

While the bout was far from exciting, Rademacher had Hunter hurt several times but was unable to finish him off. Hunter did score a few hard punches but didn’t appear to hurt the Olympian.

Hunter suffered a cut under his left eye early in the match when Rademacher nailed him with a sharp uppercut near the end of the second round. Hunter’s corner men were able to minimize the damage and the cut was never a factor in the subsequent rounds.

After winning the gold in Melbourne last summer, there was some discussion of matching Rademacher up with Patterson in a title match. Since then, the UBO has taken full control of professional boxing, and it’s rules only allow the champion of any weight class to fight highly ranked contenders.

If Rademacher is to fight for the title in the near future, he’ll need to face much tougher opponents down the road.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:02 AM   #27 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Thanked 62x in 55 posts
Great stuff as always professor.

I'd love to see Rocky make a comeback and get that 50th win...
grevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:15 AM   #28 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevan View Post
Great stuff as always professor.

I'd love to see Rocky make a comeback and get that 50th win...
That makes two of us! Let's see how 1957 plays out, and maybe the Rock will be back in the ring--at least for one fight.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #29 (permalink)
All Star Starter

UNIVERSAL BOXING ORGANIZATION
Heavyweight Division Rankings
February 1957

Floyd Patterson, Champion

1-Tommy "Hurricane" Jackson

2-Harold Carter

3-Bob Baker

4-John Holman

5-Eddie Machen

6-Ingemar Johannson

7-Bob Satterfield

8-Zora Folley

9-Willie Pastrano

10-Joe Erskine

Old 11-18-2008, 07:15 PM   #30 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 15x in 9 posts
DJ just adjusted Floyd today - if it's not too late, perhaps you might use this new and improved one?
bigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:31 PM   #31 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMatt View Post
DJ just adjusted Floyd today - if it's not too late, perhaps you might use this new and improved one?
Great timing!!!! I was planning to sim his bout with Hurricane Jackson in a few days---I owe you one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 01:15 AM   #32 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 15x in 9 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by professordp View Post
Great timing!!!! I was planning to sim his bout with Hurricane Jackson in a few days---I owe you one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, I'm intrigued by your uni, so I guess you could say that it's all about self-interest.

I see the promo shots for next month's big fight are already making the rounds...
Attached Images

Last edited by bigMatt; 11-19-2008 at 01:30 AM.
bigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:55 AM   #33 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Thanked 30x in 16 posts
Just amended Jackson and if its ok with you will start to work through your list of contenders and Marciano as im really, really enjoying your universe.
djday45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:54 AM   #34 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djday45 View Post
Just amended Jackson and if its ok with you will start to work through your list of contenders and Marciano as im really, really enjoying your universe.
That would be great--I really appreciate it! I'm willing to adjust my sims around what you have ready. I already have simmed enough bouts for the February issue of World Boxing Review.

Here are the bouts that I plan to sim for the March issue:

Patterson v. Jackson (You've done these & I'll use your ratings)

Folley v. Satterfield

Baker v. Toxie Hall

Roy Harris v. Willi Bessmanoff

If you are thinking about any revisions with these guys, just let me know and I'll work around your efforts.

Thanks again!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:26 AM   #35 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Thanked 30x in 16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by professordp View Post
That would be great--I really appreciate it! I'm willing to adjust my sims around what you have ready. I already have simmed enough bouts for the February issue of World Boxing Review.

Here are the bouts that I plan to sim for the March issue:

Patterson v. Jackson (You've done these & I'll use your ratings)

Folley v. Satterfield

Baker v. Toxie Hall

Roy Harris v. Willi Bessmanoff

If you are thinking about any revisions with these guys, just let me know and I'll work around your efforts.

Thanks again!!!
Ok no sweat, just did Carter and Baker and will work on these guys plus Pastrano and Marciano. Its no problem at all really enjoying doing it and will be great to see the effort blossom in your uni.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:29 AM   #36 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Thanked 30x in 16 posts
BAKER & Carter

Just a quick note about Baker and Carter. They are both in 57 maybe coming slightly into post prime maybe Baker more so. Depends how historical you want it but i'm always unsure about the huge minus they get so quickly when moving to post and end my own feelings would be to reduce stats down slowly manually mainly looking at things like reactions such as defense, punches landed and control factors and also later degrading their chin ratings somewhat as well.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #37 (permalink)
All Star Starter

WORLD BOXING REVIEW

February 1957

Bailey's Beat

by Skip Bailey

Hold on Harold!
Harold (Hal) Carter could soon be fighting for the heavyweight title after his upset decision over Eddie Machen. Or perhaps not! Current champ Floyd Patterson is defending his crown next month against number one contender Tommy “Hurricane” Jackson. Regardless of the outcome, there’s no guarantee that Carter would be in line for the next title shot.
If Patterson retains his title belt, his obligation under Universal Boxing Organization (UBO) rules is to have three more fights this year against contenders ranked among the organization’s top five. He’s already satisfied the organization’s requirement that he defend at least once this year against the number one contender by meeting Jackson. You can rest assured that Floyd’s manager, Cus D’Amato, will closely survey the field and match Patterson against the weakest candidate.
In the outside event that Jackson takes the title, there could be a rematch. Although rematches are not automatic under the UBO rules when the title changes hands, Floyd would have the inside track to get a chance to reclaim his crown. If he did, there would obviously be a rubber match. So title could be tied up for the next nine months.
Meanwhile, Carter would have to fight division talent at least twice to retain his ranking.
Let’s face it, he was lucky against Machen. Eddie came into the ring obviously out of shape and fought halfheartedly for most of the bout. Taking nothing away from Harold, it’s a tough argument to make that he’s the best contender in the heavyweight ranks.
Heavyweight Action
Holman Decisions Pastrano
Fighting before a partisan crowd at Chicago’s Marigold Gardens. John Holman
scored an easy ten round decision over New Orleans whiz kid Willie Pastrano. Using a three inch advantage in height and nearly twenty pounds in weight, Holman was able to bull Willie around the ring for most of the fight.
Pastrano was not particularly aggressive and relied upon his bicycle in an effort to keep Holman at bay. Unfortunately, the light-hitting Willie lacked the power to punish his incoming opponent. By the end of the eighth round, Pastrano appeared to tire and took an early Holman hook for a ticket to the canvas for an eight count.
In the end, Holman’s victory was the result of his size advantage and not necessarily his superior boxing skills. Pastrano’s loss points is just another reminder of a serious problem in the sport. Today’s boxers are bigger and stronger than they were a generation ago, and they’ll be even bigger and stronger in the future. The days of a successful heavyweight tipping the scales at 185 are quickly coming to a close. The UBO needs to copy the European model and create a world cruiserweight division.
Cooper Stops Bygraves in Ten to Capture British Crown
English fan favorite, young Henry Cooper, rose in the heavyweight ranks by taking the British Empire title from Jamaican-born Joe Bygraves via a tenth round TKO at London’s Earls Court. Cooper dominated most of the contest by pounding Bygraves to the head and body with crippling crosses and lethal left hooks.
Ironically, Cooper, who has a reputation as a bleeder, left the ring intact and drew blood early in the match with a sharp hook that opened a nasty gash under Bygraves’s eye. Throughout the remainder of the bout, the cut continued to bleed and was a distraction for the Jamaican. Nevertheless, Cooper’s powerful hooks dominated Bygraves attention.
After taking a rather severe beating for nine rounds, Bygraves barely made it off his stool at the start of the tenth frame. Thirty seconds into the frame, a hard Cooper cross sent him to the canvas for a tough eight. Joe was obviously in no condition to continue, and referee Wally Blum quickly stopped the action after Cooper unleashed hard combinations that found their mark.
Johnson Keeps Golden State Crown With Twelve Round Decision Over Vargas
Young Jack Johnson picked up an easy twelve round decision over tough Reuben Vargas in a successful defense of his California state title belt. The outcome was based more on a difference in size rather than one based upon skill. The game but smaller Vargas gave up five inches and forty pounds to his opponent.
Vargas, who is a protégé of former champ Rocky Marciano, attempted to emulate his mentor’s style and fight Johnson inside. Johnson, who moves well for a big man, was able to keep Reuben at a distance with effective jabs and accurate crosses. Vargas did hurt Young Jack a few times but was unable to take advantage of the situation.
Johnson had kept his state title on ice for quite some time and came close to losing it for failure to defend. Shortly after his victory, the champ was informed by California state boxing officials that he must put his crown on the line against Roger Rischer no later than mid April or the title will be declared vacant.
The Grapvine
Lone Star state phenom, Roy Harris will face tough Willi Bessmanoff next month. A win for the Cut and Shoot slugger might propel him into the rankings. Speaking of Texas, keep your eye on Houston’s young Cleveland “Big Cat” Williams. He’s big, strong, and has a killer punch. Big Cat’s only twenty-three but already has more than six years in as a pro. He’ll be facing veteran Frankie Daniels on the Jackson-Patterson undercard next month. An impressive win could take him far.
UBO president Hans Reuter and Cus D’Amato appear to be on a collision course, and you can expect things to come to a head for the year ends. The UBO was established in large part in response to D’Amato’s efforts to have his champ fight selective (read easy) opponents (read Pete Rademacher) while ignoring deserving (read tough) contenders. Expect Cus to use every trick in the book to keep the heavyweight crown on Patterson’s head. Let’s see how President Reuter reacts!!!
See you next month with a ringside account of the Patterson-Jackson fight!

Attached Images

Old 11-20-2008, 05:25 PM   #38 (permalink)
All Star Starter

An Apology

Sorry for the small print in the above. I've been experimenting with layout, format, etc. My bad for trying to be too creative (it's not in my bones, I'm afraid).

Nevertheless, if you can read the lastest issue of Word Boxing Review, just think how much money you'll save by no longer visiting your eye doctor.

The next issue, I promise, will be be readable with the naked eye.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #39 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Reprint-World Boxing Review-February 1957

Below is a reprint of the the above referenced. I was really displeased with the way this posted with such tiny print. If you suffered through the original, this is pretty much the same, although I did revise here and there.

WORLD BOXING REVIEW
February 1957

Bailey's Beat
By Skip Bailey

Hold on Harold!

Harold (Hal) Carter could soon be fighting for the heavyweight title after his upset decision over Eddie Machen. Or perhaps not! Current champ, Floyd Patterson defends his crown next month against number one contender Tommy "Hurricane" Jackson. Regardless of the outcome, there's no guarantee that Carter would be next in line for a title shot.

If Patterson retains his title, his obligation under Univeral Boxing Organization (UBO) rules is to have three defenses this year against contenders ranked among the organization's top five. By meeting Jackson, Floyd's already satisfied the UBO top contender requirement. You can rest assured that Patterson's manager, Cus D'Amato, will closely survey the field and match his champ against the weakest candidate.

In the event that Jackson takes the title, there could be a rematch. Although rematches are not automatic in the UBO when a title changes hands, Floyd woud have the inside tract to get the opportunity to reclaim the crown. This could lead to a rubber match. The bottom line? The title could be tied up with Patterson-Jackson contests for most of the year.

Meanwhile, Carter would have to fight division talent at least twice this year to maintain his ranking. Let's face facts here. He was a little lucky in pulling off a win against Machen. Eddie came into the ring in less than top shape and fought half-heartedly for most of the bout. Taking nothing away from Carter, he's not the best contender in the division.

Heavyweight Action

Holman Decisions Pastrano

Fighting before a partisan crowd at Chicago's Marigold Gardens, John Holman scored an easy ten round decision over New Orleans whiz kid Willie Pastrano. Coming into the ring with a three inch height advantage and outweighing his opponent by nearly twenty pounds, Holman was able to bull Pastrano around the ring for most of the fight.

Throughout the contest, Pastrano was not particularly aggressive and seemed content to ride the bicycle in an effort to keep Holman at bay. Unfurtunately the light-hitting Willie lacked to power to punish his incoming foe. By the end of the eighth round, Pastrano began to tire and took an Holman hook early in the next frame for a ticket to the canvas and a count of eight.

In the end, Holman;s victory was more the result of his size advantage rather than his boxing superiority. Pastrano's loss is just another reminder of a serious problems facing the boxing game. Today's fighters are bigger and stronger than they were a generation ago, and ten years they'll be even larger. The days of a successful heavyweight tipping the scales under two hundred pounds are quickly coming to a close. The UBO needs to copy the European model and create a world cruiserweight division, and do it soon!

Cooper Stops Bygraves To Take British Crown

English fan favorite Henry Cooper moved up in the ranks by taking the British Empire title from Jamaican-born Joe Bygraves via a ten round TKO at London's Earls Court. Cooper dominated the contest by pounding both head and body with his lethal left hook.

Ironically, Cooper, who has a reputation as a bleeder, left the ring intact and drew blood early in the natch with a sharp hook that opened a nasty gash under Bygraves's eye. The cut continued to bleed throughout the bout and was somewhat of a distraction for the Jamaican.

Neverhelss, it was Cooper's vicious hooks that dominated Joe's attention. After taking a severe beating for nine rounds, Bygraves barely made it off his stool at the start of the tenth. A hard right put Bygraves on the mat for a tough eight. When he got up, he wasn't in any condtion to continue. Referee Wally Blum quickly stopped the contest after Cooper unleashed a series of hard combinations.

Johnson Retains Golden State Title

Young Jack Johnson coasted to victory with a unanimous twelve round decision in his California state title defense against tough Reuben Vargas. The games but much smaller Vargas gave up five inches and forty pounds which provided Johnson with a considerable advantage.

Vargas, a protege of fomer champ Rocky Marciano, attempted to emulate his mentor's style and fight Johnson inside. Johnson, who moves around the ring very well for a big man, kept Reuben at long range with effective jabs nad accurate crosses. Vargas did hurt Young Jack a few times but was unable to take advantage of the situation.

Johnson had pretty much kept his crown on ice for quite some time and came close to losing it for failure to defend. Soon after his victory, the champ was informed by the California state boxing officials that he must put his belt on the line against Roger Rischer no later than mid-April or the title will be declared vacant.

The Grapvine

Lone Star phenom, Roy Harris, will face tough Willi Bessmanoff next month. A win for the Cut and Shoot stylist might propel him into the rankings...Speaking of Texas, keep your eye on Houston's Cleveland "Big Cat" Williams. He's big, strong, and has a killer punch. Big Cat's only twenty-three but already has more than six years in as a pro. He'll be facing veteran Frankie Daniels on the Patterson-Jackson undercard. An impressive victory could take him far. Already in motion is a matchup between the new British champ Henry Cooper and European heavyweight king Ingemar Johannson slated for late April or early May. It should be some kind of slugfest with Henry's hook and Ingo's right in the same ring.

UBO prsident Hans Reuter and Cus D'Amato appear to be on a collision course, and you can expect things to come to head before year's end. The UBO was established in large part in response to D'Amao's efforts to have his champ, Floyd Patterson, fight selective (ready easy) opponents (read Pete Rademacher) while ignoring deserving (read tough) contneders. Expect Cus to use every trick in the book to keep the heavyweight crown on Floyd's head by cherry-picking the challengers. Let's see how President Reuter reacts!!!!

See you next month with a ringside account of the Patterson-Jackson fight!
Attached Images

Last edited by professordp; 11-21-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #40 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Thanked 46x in 46 posts
As Always great stuff professor
Ric915 is online now   Reply With Quote