Home | Webstore
Latest News: - OOTP 15: Update #5 Released! - OOTP 15 Released! - FHM 2014: Version 1.6.19 Available! - iOOTP Baseball 2014 for iOS Available NOW! - Beyond the Sideline Football Announced! - Title Bout Championship Boxing 2.5 released!

OOTP 15 Released - Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Inside the Ropes

TBCB Inside the Ropes Your game and fantasy fights

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 10:48 PM   #221 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 45x in 44 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Wow, even though Ali is past his prime, it will be a huge test for Jeff. I didn't see this one coming, looking forward to Shelburgs shot at a legend.

You're doing my boyhood hero proud Brackey
Soon after discovering and learning more about Shelburg -- due mainly to your posting and re-rating -- it struck me that he would be an ideal comeback opponent. Marketable and dangerous enough to present Ali with a challenge, yet limited enough to be a good first step had he taken that route, rather than jumping right in with a top-10 guy as he did against Berbick in real life. And Jeff earned it, especially with the knockout of Caldwell.

Again, I'm taking a rather Pollyanna-ish route here and proceeding as if it were possible for proper medical attention, training and perhaps divine intervention to avert the downward spiral of Ali's long-term condition, particularly following the Holmes beating. I haven't been able to bring myself to watch the ESPN documentary on Holmes-Ali yet ...
BigBoyBrackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:16 PM   #222 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 45x in 44 posts
October 25, 1981

CLEVELAND PRESS

Only Home for King Show
on Lowly Basic Cable TV

At least Don King's homecoming will be televised.

Wednesday's quite-literally King-produced 15-round bout between Michael Dokes and Scott Frank, with what the promoter, the shameless lapdogs who comprise the World Boxing Council -- and no one else aside from the two combatants -- consider the heavyweight championship at stake nearly went unseen by millions more, in addition to the thousands who have not purchased tickets for the Richfield Coliseum event.

All three broadcast networks passed on the widely discredited match, in which the unbeaten Dokes is heavily favored to beat the lightly regarded, if also undefeated Frank, as did the cable network Home Box Office, which has begun to use high-profile fights as a way of luring subscribers.

At the last minute, however, fledgling all-sports basic cable television network ESPN stepped in with a sum of money that had not been revealed as of press time.

In order to make room for the main event and an undercard featuring a rematch between sluggers Earnie Shavers and Bernardo Mercado, the network was forced to pre-empt its scheduled rebroadcast of an Australian rules football playoff game, Carlton's 92-72 victory over Collingwood in the Victorian Football League final.

Ticket sales for the evening have been dismal, perhaps because King has focused the promotion on his own supposed redemption after emerging from prison after his 1967 manslaughter conviction stemming from the broad-daylight stomping of a sickly numbers runner on a Cleveland street.

As a result, the first title shot -- tainted as it may be -- for Dokes, an Akron native and exciting young fighter, has been treated as an afterthought. That could also be a result of the fight's perceived illegitimacy. At King's behest, the WBC executive board stripped Larry Holmes -- the promoter's former star client -- of his belt for choosing to defend it next month against Renaldo Snipes, who is no less deserving than Dokes by any reasonable, objective measure.

Also, King's attempt to steal the spotlight from Friday's World Boxing Association title fight between champion Mike Weaver and popular challenger Gerry Cooney seems to have backfired badly. Tickets at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas sold out within a day of going on sale, while closed-circuit venues around the country have reported brisk sales. Also, the new concept of buying the fight at home, first available for last month's Ray Leonard-Thomas Hearns superfight, has also drawn great interests in regions where it is available.

There seems to be little room in the market for Dokes-Weaver, however. With fewer than 5,000 tickets believed to have been sold with the fight three days away (King has refused to reveal an official count), even the largest payout the low-rated ESPN could afford -- believed to be about $200,000 -- would leave the King's promotion deeply in the red. When the fight was announced, Dokes was said to have received a guarantee of $800,000, to $250,000 for Frank.

Nor has King been willing to talk about where he came up with the money to put on the card. His 1974 promotion of Muhammad Ali's title defense against Chuck Wepner also lost quite a bit of money, reportedly causing a rift between the former numbers overlord and his erstwhile friends in the Cleveland branch of La Cosa Nostra, who are believed to have bankrolled that non-fight.

Besides Dokes-Frank and Shavers-Mercado, Wednesday's card is scheduled to include a 10-round bout between former heavyweight champion Leon Spinks and journeyman Charles Atlas, as well as as the Cleveland-area debut of unbeaten Columbus prospect James Douglas.

Last edited by BigBoyBrackey; 11-25-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #223 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 45x in 44 posts
October 26, 1981

THE COURIER-JOURNAL

Page Looking to Make Most
of Multiple Title-Fight Snubs

Over the next month, six boxers will compete for three different versions of the heavyweight championship of the world.

Somehow, none of them is named Greg Page.

The unbeaten Louisville native, who is arguably the hottest fighter in his division and is most certainly coming off the most impressive victory of his young career, a sixth-round knockout of durable George Chaplin, the only opponent to last the distance with Page as a pro, is instead relegated to yet another undercard.

Not that he is complaining.

"I'm not in one of these title fights for one reason," said Page, who faces Trevor Berbick in a 12-round bout beneath Friday's World Boxing Association title bout between Mike Weaver and Gerry Cooney at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. "Because I won't sign away my future to any promoter. My father taught me to be my own man and I'm going to do just that. When I show the world what I can do against Berbick, they'll be lining up to make money with Greg Page, not the other way around."

Two nights earlier, Michael Dokes -- who few boxing insiders consider Page's equal, faces lightly regarded Scott Frank for the World Boxing Council belt the organization stripped from Larry Holmes last month. In November, Holmes defends his unofficial, but little-disputed "people's championship" against Renaldo Snipes in Atlantic City.

"My guy is as good as anybody fighting for a belt in the next few weeks -- better than most," said trainer Angelo Dundee, who has watched his protege win inside the distance against Alfredo Evangelista, Jumbo Cummings and Chaplin since taking over his corner last spring. "Holmes is the toughest because of his technique and experience, but give us a couple more fights and we'll be ready for him, too."

In Berbick, who went the distance with Holmes before dropping a 15-round decision last year, Page (18-0 with 17 knockouts) faces his toughest test as a pro.

"I hear about how strong and tough Berbick is, but all I saw him do against Holmes was plod around and eat punches," Page said. "Holmes was just, 'jab, jab, jab.' I'm going to hit him with combinations he's never seen before and get him out of there."

Page's usual brash talk got added credence in his last outing, when he started slowly, but demolished Chaplin with a flurry of power shots in the sixth.

When Page was finished with his prognosticating at Monday's news conference promoting their in-ring meeting on Friday, Berbick looked at his opponent and smiled while shaking his head.

"Talk, talk, talk -- that's what American fighters do best," Berbick (19-2-1, 16 KOs) said in his buttery Jamaican accent. "All I will do is fight. And I will fight like no one Greg Page has ever met."

If so, that will be a departure from Berbick's last outing, a lackluster 15-round decision over Conroy Nelson in July in defense of the Canadian heavyweight championship.

Last edited by BigBoyBrackey; 11-25-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:48 PM   #224 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 45x in 44 posts
Oct. 27, 1981

CLEVELAND PRESS

A Full Card For a
Half-Empty House?

Ticket sales have picked up slightly in recent days for tomorrow's Don King-promoted fight card, but barely half the 12,000 available tickets have been sold, according to sources at Richfield Coliseum (King has refused to release sales figures to date).

The main event, pitting Akron's Michael Dokes against Scott Frank for the World Boxing Council's heavyweight championship, tops a heavyweight-laden card that includes several big names, as well as one of Ohio's top prospects.

A look at Wednesday night's featured bouts:

Michael Dokes (22-0-1, 12 KO) vs. Scott Frank (16-0, 13 KO)

15 rounds - World Boxing Council heavyweight title

Don King may not have done Michael Dokes any favors with this matchup. While the Akron native is a 10-1 favorite to win a share of the increasingly devalued heavyweight championship, he is in something of a no-win situation against Frank.

While the New Jersey product is also unbeaten, his last fight was against Johnny Blaine, who entered their Aug. 21 meeting with a 4-32-3 record. Incredibly, it was a rematch -- Frank's third professional bout was a first-round blowout of Blaine, who managed to last into the second round before getting stopped the second time around.

Frank's quality of opposition is nearly non-existent, with wins over an ancient Chuck Wepner and a bloated Ron Stander representing the biggest names, such as they are, on his ledger. He's even become a national punchline, as Johnny Carson has made a running joke in recent weeks of describing guests ranging from Charlie Callas to Audrey Landers to Dom DeLuise as "Scott Frank's next opponent" while introducing them to his Tonight Show audience.

The 6-foot-3, 216-pound Dokes has not exactly faced a murderer's row of contenders, either, though he does own wins over European champion John L. Gardner (KO6), Jimmy Young (W10), Ossie Ocasio (D10, KO1) and Randall "Tex" Cobb (W10).

If Dokes beats Frank, he'll get little credit for defeating such a lightly regarded opponent for a belt that the entire sporting world believes rightly belongs to Larry Holmes, from whom it was stripped for refusing to defend against Dokes.

At 6-2 and 212 pounds, Frank has to be given at least a remote puncher's chance, if only because Dokes' chin has yet to get a serious test in 23 professional outings.

Earnie Shavers (63-10-1, 60 KO) vs. Bernardo Mercado (28-4, 24 KO)

10 rounds

In what shapes up as a far more intriguing fight than the main event, Shavers looks to avenge his March 1980 seventh-round stoppage loss to Mercado, who got up from a third-round knockdown to score the biggest win of his career.

That victory propelled Mercado to the WBC's No. 1 ranking, but he subsequently surrendered the top spot, as well as a shot at Larry Holmes, to Leon Spinks via ninth-round TKO. He rebounded with a first-round stoppage of journeyman Gilberto Acuna in June, but was stopped by Gerry Cooney in a July title eliminator. Cooney's seventh-round TKO earned him a title fight with WBA boss Mike Weaver on Friday in Las Vegas.

Five months after losing to Mercado, Shavers' stamina again betrayed him during an eight-round TKO loss to Cobb. He has won three straight since, albeit against opponents with a combined record of 4-48.

Shavers, who weighed in at 215 pounds, insists that a new training regimen has him in the best shape of his life at age 36. At 6-foot-4, Mercado enjoys a four-inch height advantage and weighed in at 221 for a fight that means one more shot at the big time for the winner and, most likely, the end of the line for the loser.

Leon Spinks (10-3-2, 8 KO) vs. Charles Atlas (8-26, 5 KO)

10 rounds

The former world heavyweight champion launches yet another comeback, making his first appearance since being stopped in six rounds by Larry Holmes in June.

He could hardly have picked a more accomodating opponent than Atlas, whose name is far more memorable than his record. Atlas commes in having lost 17 straight since his last victory, a second-round knockout of El Boom Boom Moorer right here in Cleveland in March 1977.

Spinks, who weighed in at 199 pounds, has a record of 3-3-1 since upsetting Muhammad Ali for the championship in February 1978.

James Douglas (4-0, 3 KO) vs. Jesse Clark (0-19)

4 rounds

Douglas, the son of longtime light-heavyweight contender Billy Douglas of Columbus, scored the most impressive win of his fledgling career just two weeks ago, stopping the 8-0 Abdul Muhaymin on cuts in the fifth round of their Oct. 14 meeting.

He figures to have a much easier time with Clark, another Columbus fighter who has made it to the final bell in just three of his 19 outings.

Last edited by BigBoyBrackey; 11-30-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:10 AM   #225 (permalink)
Global Moderator

Thanked 2,582x in 1,981 posts
Was reading the last post and lost my train of thought as I scrolled down the page

UTBA Season Four Gold Conference Central Division Champion

First UTBA expansion franchise to win a conference divisional title
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:55 AM   #226 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 327x in 243 posts
That picture could make even a man like pink.....
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #227 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 45x in 44 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
Was reading the last post and lost my train of thought as I scrolled down the page
Sort of like a guest-starring appearance by Audrey or her sister, Judy, on The Love Boat or Fantasy Island could make one forget the lousy acting and hackneyed plots surrounding them. As a kid, it seemed like one of them (or both, if you were very lucky) were on one show or the other at least every other Saturday night. Failing that, you could always count on a Jill St. John, or a Charo, or ...

These threads are a great learning experience. For instance, while looking for that picture, I discovered that Judy Landers has two daughters (fathered by former Dodgers reliever Tom Niedenfeuer) who are following the career path set out by their mother and aunt. You'll have to google for yourself ...
Old 12-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #228 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 45x in 44 posts
October 28, 1981 -- early results from suburban Cleveland

James Douglas W4 Jesse Clark

Unbeaten novice James Douglas showed both his prodigious talent and his lack of experience in the curtain-raiser on Wednesday's card at Richfield Coliseum, pounding veteran punching bag Jesse Clark all over the ring for four rounds, but failing to close the deal.

The fight -- the first preliminary on a show headlined by the World Boxing Council heavyweight title bout between Michael Dokes and Scott Frank -- should have been stopped at the end of the first, after Clark crashed to the canvas for the second time in the opening frame. He got up after the bell, however, and was allowed to continue.

A winded Douglas -- who some veteran observers suggest might have a problem with stamina -- was unable to press the advantage in the second, but sent Clark down with a left hook under the rib cage in the third, and had him dangling over the ropes, absorbing punishment for the final minute of the fourth.

In each case, though, Clark (who is still winless after 20 professional fights) showed just enough life -- at least in the eyes of a highly permissive rookie referee -- to continue.

The final outcome was never in doubt, with Douglas improving to 5-0 with three knockouts by scores of 40-33, 39-34 and 40-33.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #229 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 45x in 44 posts
October 28, 1981 - early results from suburban Cleveland

Leon Spinks KO5 Charles Atlas

The former heavyweight champion showed that he can put away an overmatched opponent, but proved little else in administering a one-sided beating to a foe whose career record dropped to 8-27 with 5 knockouts.

Spinks came out bombing away with overhand rights, shaking Atlas repeatedly and causing his left eye to begin swelling by the end of the first round.

It was more of the same in the second, with Atlas occasionally landing a shot through Spinks' ever-porous defense, but taking three or four in return.

The slow-arriving crowd booed through most of the third round, as the fighters did little beyond leaning on each other.

Spinks picked it up in the fourth, landing several more big rights that had Atlas' eye more than half shut by the break.

It continued to swell through the early part of the fifth, finally causing the referee to call time and lead Atlas to the ringside physician for a look. He was allowed to continue, but a huge left hook by Spinks shortly before the bell rendered the issue moot.

Atlas landed heavily on his side and was counted out after the bell sounded, making Spinks the knockout winner at 3:00 of the fifth round.

Spinks, rebounding from his sixth-round knockout loss to Larry Holmes in a June title bid, improved to 11-3-2 with 9 KOs.

Last edited by BigBoyBrackey; 12-01-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:59 PM   #230 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 45x in 44 posts
October 28, 1981

CLEVELAND PRESS

Acorn Drops Mercado

Little more than a year ago, Earnie Shavers appeared finished as a serious force in the heavyweight division.

Three losses in four outings -- all inside the distance, and two within five months against a pair of unheralded underdogs -- had Shavers looking like a prime candidate for retirement.

On Wednesday, though, the 36-year-old slugger avenged one of those losses in spectacular fashion, putting himself squarely back into the heavyweight picture with a second-round knockout of former No. 1 contender Bernardo Mercado.

The lanky Colombian earned that honor largely on the basis of his stoppage of Shavers in March 1980, a fight that saw him climb up from a third-round knockout and finish the exhausted veteran four rounds later.

This time, a fitter, more patient Shavers again hurt Mercado early, but patiently delivered pinpoint power shots, instead of punching himself out with wild swings as in the first meeting, as well as a subsequent loss to Randall "Tex" Cobb.

Shavers' crushing overhand rights gave him a clear advantage in the first round and pinned Mercado on the ropes early in the second. His prey thus trapped, the Warren, Ohio resident bombed away with both hands, several of the connections drawing audible groans from the crowd at Richfield Coliseum as Mercado's head snapped to and fro.

Referee Lou Filippo looked ready to step in and save Mercado late in the second, but as he began to make his move, Shavers dropped one more right-handed warhead on the younger man's chin. Mercado fell forward, arms at his sides, and was counted out at 2:31 of the second round.

Shavers improved to 64-10-1 with 61 knockouts. The win figures to put him back in the Top 10 of the World Boxing Council, particularly in light of his apparent reconciliation with Don King. The promoter is widely believed to exert tremendous control over the organization and its rankings, as evidenced by the WBC's decision to strip Larry Holmes -- the unbeaten heavyweight champion who had a falling out with King over the summer -- of his title and match a pair of hand-picked contenders, Michael Dokes and Scott Frank, in Wednesday's main event. That fight began after press time for this edition.

Shavers was the first major fighter to work with King after the latter's release from prison in 1971, but the two had a falling out following Shavers' first-round knockout loss to Jerry Quarry in 1973. They worked together in the late 1970s, but the fighter felt he was discarded after he lost a title shot against Holmes via 11th-round TKO in 1979. While Shavers declined to comment on his relationship with the promoter in the days before the fight, his appearance on the card suggests that he may have signed an exclusive deal with King once again in hopes of getting one last shot at a world title.

Mercado lost for the third time in four outings dating to a ninth-round stoppage defeat against Leon Spinks little more than a year ago. The other defeat came in July against Gerry Cooney, who parlayed the seventh-round kayo into a title shot against World Boxing Association champion Mike Weaver, a bout scheduled for Friday night at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #231 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 45x in 44 posts
October 28, 1981

Seen at ringside at Richfield Coliseum tonight as the crowd awaits Dokes-Frank ...

Andre Thornton, who hit .239 as the Cleveland Indians shocked the world by finishing one game over .500 in a strike-shortened season, thrilling their fans by finishing sixth in the seven-team American League East.

Brian Sipe, whose ill-advised last-minute throw in the AFC Divisional Playoff against Oakland last January assured that the Browns would not reach their first-ever Super Bowl, and whose propensity for throwing interceptions is a big reason Cleveland is stumbling along at 4-4 midway through the '81 campaign.

Mike Mitchell, shooting guard and leading scorer for the Cleveland Cavaliers, who have become accustomed playing to half-empty houses at Richfield Coliseum.

Television's Priscilla Barnes, the highly unpopular replacement for Suzanne Somers on ABC's "Three's Company."

And lending a much-needed touch of class to the proceedings, Dean Martin, a Steubenville native who briefly boxed while a teenager named Dino Crocetti.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #232 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 303x in 247 posts
Clearly Dean is the odd man out!
kenyan_cheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:23 PM   #233 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 976x in 756 posts
I have to be honest, you're great at the build up. Part of that has been how pointless this fight is. If you don't get to Weaver/Cooney & page/Berbick soon I'm going to have to kill you.

It's been months, take a week off, quit your job, divorce your wife or anything else. But for the love of God, give me Weaver/Cooney!
Old 12-03-2009, 12:12 AM   #234 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 45x in 44 posts
October 28, 1981

ROUND 1

Dokes comes out circling and firing left jabs that snap Frank's head back repeatedly.

Frank lands an inconsequential right uppercut and tries to follow up, but Dokes smothers him with a clinch.

Dokes shakes Frank with a hard left-right to the head, then stabs him in the belly with a jab.

Frank clumsily rushes inside and the fighters bang heads. For some reason, referee Frank Cappuccino stops the action and warns Dokes for an intentional butt, drawing a smattering of boos from the confused crowd.

After action resumes, Dokes stuns Frank with a left hook, then scores with a hard, straight right just before the bell.

ROUND 2

Dokes continues to take advantage of his edge in foot speed, gliding around the ring as Frank plods along after him, taking hard jabs whenever he gets close.

Frank takes two jabs in order to get close enough to land a left hook to the body, then trades shots with Dokes for an exchange that lasts at least 10 seconds.

Rather than get drawn into a brawl, though, Dokes resumes circling to his right, throwing jabs. He hooks off a particularly hard jab, driving Frank back to the ropes. He moves in with a double hook, first to the ribs and then to the side of Frank's head.

ROUND 3

Frank slips a jab from Dokes seconds into the round and counters with a hard right cross to the head, his best punch so far. He follows up with another that also lands, if with somewhat less effect.

Dokes moves back to the ropes, but Frank clinches instead of trying to land a punch. After Cappuccino breaks them up, Dokes scores with a short right uppercut that forces Frank back a step.

Dokes fires a series of jabs, about half of which land.

Frank tries to bull his way in, but Dokes stops him with a pair of right uppercuts. Frank clinches again and the two wrestle well past the bell, forcing Cappuccino to step in as the crowd, which appears to fill a little more than half Richfield Coliseum's capacity of 12,000, comes to life.

After three rounds, Mike Hanson's unofficial scorecard reads 30-27 for Dokes, but Frank has not been the laughable opponent many expected coming in.

ROUND 4

Dokes comes down off his toes and meets Frank at ring center, throwing power punches. He lands a right to the chest, then a heavy left hook just under the ribs that causes Frank to audibly gasp and drop his hands. Dokes takes advantage with a left hook up top that lands flush, sending Frank stumbling back into the ropes.

Dokes moves in with a jab-cross to the face, then a nasty overhand right and a quick, short jab.

Frank tries to clinch, but Dokes drives him back with a jab-cross-hook combo.

Frank seems one hard shot from going down, but Dokes misses with an overhand right, leaving an opening for the underdog to land a short, jarring left hook.

Though the shot doesn't appear to do serious damage, it slows Dokes for a moment. Frank lands a right uppercut, then a left that is equal parts hook and uppercut.

Dokes misses with a jab at the bell, but walks back to his corner smiling after his best round of the fight.

ROUND 5

Trying to change the momentum, Frank rushes out his corner but is met by Dokes' right at the center of the ring, forcing him back three steps.

Dokes follows with a double jab-right cross sequence, then smashes home a left hook to the jaw.

Instead of follwoing up, Dokes retreats to the ropes, leans back and motions Frank to come in.

The New Jersey native obliges, taking two jabs to the mouth for his trouble.

Dokes grabs Frank and spins him onto the ropes, then opens up with both hands. Frank can do little but provide target practice as Dokes batters him with both hands, mostly to the head. Frank misses with a left hook and Dokes counters with a gut-crunching right to the body. Dokes shifts his aim up top, raising a mouse under Frank's left eye with a straight right.

Through five rounds, ringside expert Mike Hanson has is 50-45, Dokes, though either the fourth or fifth could easily be scored 10-8, despite the absence of a knockdown.

ROUND 6

Frank comes out trying to establish his jab and has some success in the first minute, though he also eats a solid left hook.

Dokes quickly re-establishes control, though, snapping Frank's head back with a right uppercut, then turning over a right cross that visibly worsens the swelling under his opponent's left eye.

Dokes lands a left-right to the body, slips a right cross and unloads a left hook that sends Frank stumbling into a neutral corner. As Dokes moves in, blood begins gushing from a nasty cut under Frank's right eye. The crowd, now squarely behind the sort-of-hometown fighter, is on its feet and roaring.

Dokes traps Frank in the corner, scoring with an even harder left hook. Frank tries unsuccessfully to clinch and Cappuccino moves in, watching closely as Dokes lands a series of four unanswered head shots. The referee looks ready to intervene when the bell rings.

Trainer Lou Duva tells Frank in the corner that he has to start punching back, or his title shot will slip away.

"They're not going to let you take punishment like that much longer, and neither am I," Duva says.

"Work that jab and throw the right when the jab lands. He's tearing you apart!"

ROUND 7

Frank spends the first minute of the round clinching and Dokes seems to welcome the break.

As the round goes on, though, Dokes begins working his left hook to the body, moving Frank back.

Frank plants his feet and lands a straight right to the head as Dokes moves in and follows with a left hook, moving Dokes back for the first time all night.

After taking another hard hook, though, Dokes lands a short right uppercut, then resumes using his

jab to stop Frank in his tracks. A right shortly before the bell worsens the swelling around Frank's eye.

Hanson has it 70-63 on his unofficial scorecard, though for the first time, an argument could be made that Frank won the round.

ROUND 8

Frank walks slowly from his corner at the bell, his left eye badly swollen and the closed gash under the right looking ready to erupt.

Dokes strides purposefully toward him, looking ready to end an impressive performance conclusively.

He doesn't bother with the jab, leading with a vicious left hook that Frank is defenseless to stop.

After extricating himself from a series of clinches, Dokes delivers three straight left jab-right cross combinations to the face, then, after missing with an overhand right, digs a hook under the ribs. Another hook, this one to the head, causes Frank to wobble into the ropes. The crowd, which has abandoned the cheap seats and crowded as close to the ring as possible, begins chanting "Mich-ael, Mich-ael!"

Dokes follows up with a head-snapping right cross and, at long last, Cappuccino leaps in as Frank falls into the ropes.

At 2:55 of the eighth round, Michael Dokes is the winner and, for what it's worth, the new World Boxing Council heavyweight champion.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:39 AM   #235 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 45x in 44 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWillisTheMan View Post
I have to be honest, you're great at the build up. Part of that has been how pointless this fight is. If you don't get to Weaver/Cooney & page/Berbick soon I'm going to have to kill you.

It's been months, take a week off, quit your job, divorce your wife or anything else. But for the love of God, give me Weaver/Cooney!
In keeping with this universe's underlying theme, I'm going to go ahead and blame Don King -- for Dokes-Frank, as well as the delays.

The mega-card at Caesar's Palace is dead ahead -- my plan is to have the fights simmed and posted by Monday, at the latest. If all goes well -- which it never does -- it could be sooner. Provided, of course, none of the principals gets hurt during their final training sessions ...

Thanks for your interest, and especially, your patience. Going slower than real time in a fictional universe that I theoretically control has been driving me nuts, too. I decided to devote some time in recent weeks to finishing the '20s heavyweight tournament and the card memorializing Arguello, Gatti, et. al in my other threads so there weren't three loose ends floating simultaneously. I'll still be using those for smaller-scale diversions from time to time, but this will be my primary focus (in terms of imaginary boxing, at least) going forward.

Weaver-Cooney and/or Page-Berbick predictions, anyone?
Old 12-03-2009, 08:12 AM   #236 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 976x in 756 posts
I was quite drunk and just playing around. It's one of my favorite uni's.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #237 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 45x in 44 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWillisTheMan View Post
I was quite drunk and just playing around. It's one of my favorite uni's.
Your spelling was quite good, under the circumstances ...

Better stretch out the ol' liver. Fight Night at Caesar's Palace dead ahead. (Pay-per-view only $29.95!)

My plan is to get things started this evening, at least through Page-Berbick, with Weaver-Cooney tomorrow night. If things go more expeditiously than expected -- it's also Christmas-cookie-making night on the home front -- I may get the whole thing in tonight.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #238 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 45x in 44 posts
October 29, 1981

LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

Weaver-Cooney Latest Mega-fight at Caesars

The boxing world returns once again to the outdoor arena at Caesars Palace (also known as some bleachers in a parking lot), site of Ali-Holmes in 1980 and, just six weeks earlier, Leonard-Hearns.

All 24,790 tickets for Friday night's card sold out within hours of going on sale. Thousands of unticketed fans swarm outside Caesars, hoping to scalp a very expensive seat.

The 15-round World Boxing Association title fight between defending champion Mike Weaver (24-9, 17 KOs) and No. 1 contender Gerry Cooney (26-0, 23 KOs) as well as the main supporting feature, a 10-round bout between contenders Greg Page (18-0, 17 KOs) and Trevor Berbick (19-2-1, 16 KOs) will be broadcast via closed-circuit television to packed theaters and fight venues throughout the country, as well as available in select areas to cable television viewers willing to pay $29.95 for the telecast.

The main event promises to provide good value for even such a lofty investment. Cooney has torn a wide swath through the heavyweight division over the past few years, obliterating longtime contenders like Ron Lyle, Jimmy Young and Ken Norton, creating a buzz among the heavyweights unfelt since Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier met in the Phillipines six years and one month ago. In his last outing, he showed that he can take a punch, absorbing several big bombs from hard-hitting Bernardo Mercado before putting the Columbian away in the seventh round.

Weaver is no easy target, though, having righted his career after a rocky start. He pushed then-World Boxing Council champion to the limit before being stopped in 12 rounds in 1979, then won the WBA crown with a last-minute, come-from-behind 15th-round knockout in March 1980. Since then, Weaver has defended the crown with knockouts of South African Gerrie Coetzee and, on the same card as Cooney-Mercado, previously unbeaten James "Quick" Tillis.

The big test for Weaver -- known as Hercules, due to his bodybuilder's physique -- will be whether he can withstand Cooney's expected early onslaught. Before becoming a contender, Weaver was known as something of a slow starter, and Norton showed the world what happens if you get caught cold by Gentleman Gerry.

At 6-foot-7, Cooney will tower over the 6-foot-1 Weaver, but has shown a tendency to occasionally negate his height advantage by crouching, or at times, slouching.

Also, Weaver hits harder than anyone Cooney has faced. If Mercado was able to shake Cooney on a few occasions, what will happen if Weaver lands the left hook that nearly decapitated Tate?

While, thanks to the machinations of one Don King, there are now three nominal heavyweight titleholders, the winner of this bout will clearly establish himself as the top contender to the legitimate championship held by Larry Holmes (even if he doesn't have one of the gaudy belts issued by the WBA or WBC).

Close behind will be the winner of the main undercard bout. Page has set a torrid pace since spurning King's advances in the spring and bringing in Angelo Dundee to oversee his training, winning three straight fights by knockout against Alfredo Evangelista, Jumbo Cummings and George Chaplin since June.

Page's hand speed and defensive instincts have always been his strong point and his power and, especially, his conditioning have improved greatly under Dundee's tutelage.

Berbick put in a rather lax effort his last time out, dominating overmatched Conroy Nelson in defense of his Canadian heavyweight crown, but took Holmes the distance last spring and has established himself as a tough contender with an awkward style and, as Tate learned in suffering a ninth-round knockout last year, deceptive power.

The preliminary fights include appearances by unbeaten young heavyweight contenders Marvis Frazier, Smokin' Joe's son, and Tim Witherspoon, a hot prospect from Philadelphia.

Last edited by BigBoyBrackey; 12-06-2009 at 10:14 PM. Reason: corrects Berbick's record
Old 12-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #239 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 45x in 44 posts
October 30, 1981 -- early results from Las Vegas

Marvis Frazier KO3 Terry Krueger

Smokin' Joe's son, who relied heavily on his boxing skills in winning his first six professional fights, showed he's got a pretty mean left hook, too.

Frazier blasted Krueger with his father's trademark punch early in the third, sending the veteran (35-18-1, 33 KO) stumbling across the ring before landing face-first in his own corner. Krueger, who was stopped in less than a round by Jeff Shelburg -- Muhammad Ali's comeback opponent -- in his last outing, tried to pull himself up by the ropes as referee Elmo Adolph's count reached three, but slumped back to the floor and was counted out at the 46-second mark.

Krueger started off well, using a left hook to the body to get the better of what little action there was in a slow first round. Things heated up in the second, with Frazier moving in and out and landing quick, if light, combinations while absorbing several power shots from the heavy-handed Krueger.

Frazier improved to 7-0 with four knockouts.

"We're ready for anybody in the world," said Joe Frazier, who took over as his son's trainer last year, but returned the reins to George Benton to focus on his own comeback. "Marvis can stand up to anybody."

The younger Frazier glanced nervously at his father, who is scheduled to face Monte Masters in December, then spoke more humbly.

"Krueger hit harder than anyone I've fought," Marvis said. "He left me an opening and I was fortunate enough to take advantage of it. But I need to work more on getting hit less."

Last edited by BigBoyBrackey; 12-06-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #240 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 45x in 44 posts
October 30, 1981 -- seen at ringside in Vegas

Ted Knight, star of television's Too Close for Comfort ...

and

Australian pop sensation Olivia Newton-John ...